Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-04-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Lorenzo B.
Human being with feelings

Default [solved] Reaper can't find plugin (SynthMaster)

Hello forum,

I'm new here. After the search function didn't solve my problem, maybe someone here can help me.

Problem: I have installed SynthMaster, but Reaper does not find the instrument. I have quite a lot plugins that Reaper finds, and the problem is completely new to me.
I use
Windows 7, 64 bit
Reaper 5.29 / x64

What I have already done:

- Checked plugin folder. The instrument is located next to others in a VST folder, which Reaper finds (folder is set in Reaper's program settings), the instruments and plugins contained in this folder are accessible in Reaper.

- My plugins lie in scattered folders, all of them are specified in the program settings and all are found. I have the SynthMaster dll's (there are two, for instrument and effects) pushed through all these folders, but without success.

- I created a new folder for the dll's specified it in the Reaper program settings. Without success.

- I have updated the FX Browser (look for new plugins) after every step I took, without success.

- At the same time, I have also run after every action in the program settings -> Plugins -> VST -> search again.

- Instrument cleanly uninstalled (including deletion of all folders created with the installation), reinstalled, started Windows as admin. After starting Reaper, the following messages came up:

(1) Could not find SynthMaster datafiles. Please reinstall the application.

(2) SynthMaster could not find
C:\Program Files\Reaper (x64)\Plugins\FX\Scales

After that, Reaper canceled the start. I can't find the folder (2) when i search manually.

The installation of SynthMaster makes a correct impression compared to other instruments (just from a users perspective, no tekkie), since the corresponding folders appear as well under "Program Files" as with other plugins.

I am really at a loss what I should do. All seems really o. K., but I don't get it to work.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you for your time and attention
Lorenzo

Last edited by Lorenzo B.; 07-05-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: [solved]
Lorenzo B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
ivansc

Obvious, but you DID use the clear/rescan option in options/settings/plugins/vst didnt you?

If you just rescan it is always possible that Reaper wont find the new entry.

FYI my synthmaster player install has the .dll file and the folder with all the resources in it in my main 64bit vst folder. In my case, this is C:\Program Files\VST Plugins, but you can call it anything you like' provided reaper knows where it is.
One other thing. Within your reaper install there IS a folder for plugins, but this is specifically for Reapers own built-in plugins & you should never put anything else in that folder.

Anyway welcome to the forums and don't forget to download the User Guide (if you haven't already) and check out the excellent free tutorial videos, all of which can be found on this page at the top header area.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
Lorenzo B.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did clear/rescan, but nothing. I reinstalled SynthMaster again and did the clear/rescan once more. Again both error messages and reaper cancels the start.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
ivansc

The guy that devs Synthmaster is pretty helpful - have you tried contacting him for help?

FWIW I am still on version 2.7 of the synthmaster player so it COULD be an issue withe the recent update.

In the interests of checking everything, I will D/L and install the update.
Typical! I have my licence key but the site wants a serial number for me to download the update!!!

Last edited by ivansc; 07-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
karbomusic

Is this in your scan path just incase something got installed there by default? If not, add it by placing it at the end of the scan path preceeded with at semi-colon:

;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

Also during the install, does it specifically ask for separate paths for both VST and meta data? Chances are if it does, it may expect and look only in those locations. Meaning that if something was overlooked, then you manually copied any files post install, it may break. Just guessing here as I've seen it happen.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
jeranx

Hi Lorenzo. Did you have a look here instead of the "program files" folder.
Strangely, when I copy it and paste it below, it still says "program files", I had to rewrite it manually. I had the same problem coz my "program files/Reaper" is empty.

C:\Programmes\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\FX

Last edited by jeranx; 07-04-2017 at 03:17 PM.
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
Pet

@jeranx: I'm not shure if I understand what you want to say, but THIS^^^ (above)is NOT the folder user plugins should be! As ivansc wrote in post #2: "...but this is specifically for Reapers own built-in plugins & you should never put anything else in that folder."

@Lorenzo: In my installation there's a textfile in the VST Plugins folder where the "SynthMaster2.dll" is. It's called "SynthMasterFolders.txt" and has a line with the path to the RootFolder where the presets and resources are. Do you have such a file too?

HTH,
Peter
Old 07-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Lorenzo B.

Thank you for your replies. I just came back home and my day ends in a few minutes. I will try tomorrow and then report.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
jeranx

[QUOTE=Pet;1862008]@jeranx: I'm not shure if I understand what you want to say, but THIS^^^ (above)is NOT the folder user plugins should be! As ivansc wrote in post #2: "...but this is specifically for Reapers own built-in plugins & you should never put anything else in that folder."

Hi Peter. I know; maybe I wasn't clear enough. I put it like this because in Lorenzo's first message he said he has this :

"(2) SynthMaster could not find
C:\Program Files\Reaper (x64)\Plugins\FX\Scales"

And if I look at this place, there's nothing in my case, and in his case also. In some installation, when the system says "program files", in fact it's in "programmes", the folder just under "programmes data".

In my case, all my .dll are at C/programmes/reaper/installdata/effects. Can't remember if I did it like this or if it was native.
Many things I don't understand, just trying to help. Bye Peter
Old 07-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #10
ivansc

Apparently I didnt make it clear enough earlier.

"Within your reaper install there IS a folder for plugins, but this is specifically for Reapers own built-in plugins & you should never put anything else in that folder."

CHANGE the path you have leading to Program Files/Reaper(64)/plugins to anything BUT the reaper plugin folder. You should NOT put non-Cockos Reaper plugins in that folder. Create another folder e.g. C:\Program Files\Vszt Plugins or similar and put your synthmaster stuff there.
THEN clear\rescan and the plug will show up OK.

Sorry I didnt spell this out well enough.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 AM   #11
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Apparently I didnt make it clear enough earlier.
You did! But let me fix s.th. for you, cause it is so important...
Quote:
CHANGE the path you have leading to Program Files/Reaper(64)/plugins to anything BUT the reaper plugin folder. You should NOT put non-Cockos Reaper plugins in that folder!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeranx View Post
...just trying to help.
So do I, no offence intended, just trying to beware you too from screwing s.th. up! Get your plugins out from there, even if that means a new install of them.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 AM   #12
ivansc

(grin) between the three of us, hopefully the OP got the message!

Jeranx: Where are you near Caen? I stay in the Morbihan (Rochefort en Terre) when I am there - sadly not much time this year.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #13
Lorenzo B.

Default [solved] Reaper can't find plugin (SynthMaster)

Hi,

I got a mail from the SynthMaster support. They recommended a new installation with the latest version (2.8.10) from 03/07/2017.
That was it: Installation went as expected, Reaper knows SynthMaster and in the evening I will make first steps and enjoy.

Even if the error message I reported looks like I have been messing around with Reaper's plugin folder: I really didn't. But your replies and the stressful experience with n+1 installations and the related questions will help me to stay careful.

Thank you all for your support and your time. I feel very welcome.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
ivansc

One good result for me is that I got off my ass and asked for my licence number, so I too now have the latest Synthmaster! Thanks for giving me the kickstart I needed!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #15
jeranx

Quote:
Jeranx: Where are you near Caen? I stay in the Morbihan (Rochefort en Terre) when I am there - sadly not much time this year.

Hi Ivansc. I'm in a little village 20 km west of Caen, on the A84. Actually 230 km from Questembert. You're welcome if you pass through there. Got a Rbnb room that can be FREE for Reaperist except on WE, when I have guests on this season. See you maybe, Bye

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #16
ivansc

Wow! actually on my route from Le Tunnel to Malansac. I may take you up on that some time - very busy in the UK right now so wont be able to spend much time in France this summer, sadly.