Old 01-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
Bazzbass
Human being with feelings

Default New PC, advice on setup please

Hi

I just bought a new Dell laptop, i7 8565U 8th Gen, 256Gb ssd, 8Gb RAM. Is there a way to install Windows Home 64bit without the bloatware? Or are they easy to disable?

Should I record onto the ssd as well as run windows and Reaper on it, or would an external ssd be better?

I'll be recording 8 tracks at a time max, won't be using virtual instruments or much effects so I'm thinking the 8Gb RAM will do for now.

My old PC has Reaper with 32 bit VSTs, will these run on the 64bit pc or should I instal 64 bit versions instead?

sorry for these noob questions, it's been two years since I used Reaper.

Hope you good folks can help me acheive glitch free recordings

Last edited by Bazzbass; 01-04-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Bazzbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
Studiodawg

I got a rebuilt Dell i3 dirt cheap recently. It has a 256GB SSD witha Win10 clean install. I got an external SSD for "tape deck" and did a few typical OS audio tweaks and the PC is working great. Here is a link that might help you make some decisions: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...s-10-musicians
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Studiodawg

This link gets right to the tweaks:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...uter-for-audio
Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
Bazzbass

thank you, very much appreciated. I'm not sure how I can do a clean windows instal without buying another copy.....
Old 01-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
thank you, very much appreciated. I'm not sure how I can do a clean windows instal without buying another copy.....
You simply use media creation tool to make an installer on a USB drive and install.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
Studiodawg

To be honest, I'd start with uninstalling any/all identifiable bloatware and see how it goes. That's what I did on my Win10 laptop. My Win10 desktop was sold to me with clean install.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
Somewhere on that laptop, or in the documentation you got with it, you should find a sticker with a Windows license key on it. That big long number with all the dashes in it.

You can download Windows 10 from Microsofts website, burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB drive from it. Make sure you adjust your boot order either in bios or there is a way to do that in Windows troubleshooting, so that it goes to either the DVD or USB drive first.

When the computer boots from the install disk, delete all partitions currently on the disk, and install Windows. With a clean version of Windows installed and running, download and install all the outstanding Windows Updates. Once all that is done, optimize your drive, then start installing your applications.

Once all that is done, go through your applications and make sure everything is working OK, then slowly start applying the audio performance tweaks already mentioned and you should be good to go. Make sure your basic system is working OK before you start tweaking things.

Thing to remember about a laptop is that due to their inability to dissipate heat, they tend to run a little slower than a desktop, at least as far as manufacturer specs go, so you'll want to keep your installation as clean as possible in order to avoid any performance issues down the road.

Good Luck.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #8
karbomusic

Bloatware comes from the laptop vendor, better if you get a copy of win10 pro and just install it fresh because if you use whatever came with the lappy to reinstall etc. it's going to include the bloatware AFAIK.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
Bazzbass

thank you all, my pc guru moved interstate a few years ago and I'm lost doing these things.I'm going to instal the included Win10 Home 64bit and delete what I don't need. I'm only going to be running Reaper to start with,so at worst I'll just upgrade to Win Pro and do a fresh instal.

I take it with SSDs I can run windows and reaper and record onto the one drive?
Old 01-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #10
tonybeepbeep

One thing I changed, from my experience only, was to not run Reaper as admin on W10. This was because I could no longer drag and drop files into Reaper.

I'm gonna go back through the checklist though, as I've taken my eye off all the updates lately.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #11
Studiodawg

Yes, you can use one drive, especially for simpler projects. Have fun!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #12
drumphil

I'm not sure what the point of upgrading to windows 10 pro is these days?

Can you pause updates for longer than you can with win 10 home?

And, beware of "tweaks", that are often out of date information, or based on a less that complete understanding of how things work.

Quote:
I take it with SSDs I can run windows and reaper and record onto the one drive?
Modern SSD's are so fast compared to old fashioned hard disks. I'd love to see the project where the SSD would be the bottleneck, requiring a second SSD.

Do a clean install, and get on with doing stuff. If you see any problems, then maybe look for tweaks to fix them.

Last edited by drumphil; 01-20-2020 at 07:08 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote