Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
mstemen
Human being with feelings

Default Foot Controls

Has anyone come up with a creative solution to controlling Jesusonic with foot controls? I absolutely LOVE the software but I definately need a way to control it live. Thanks for the info.
mstemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Newbie Brad

This is a dealbreaker for the stage.
Newbie Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
vince

Default You can try this

Hi,

I use this to control midi stuff while on stage.

It is simply a PC keyboard with the needed keys mapped to push buttons.

http://citadellesjavagame.free.fr/bi...rd/BigFoot.JPG
http://citadellesjavagame.free.fr/bi...FootInside.JPG

Now a question to Justin : is it possible to choose which are the keyboard keys that drive JS ?

I am asking this because the keys that are mapped to my BigFoot are not the numeric ones.

I plan to use JS with BigFoot to put some cool effects on my bass.

My band website :
http://nekorama.free.fr

Cheers,
Vince
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Newbie Brad

Brilliant! But still, isn't there a way to map MIDI to system exclusive messages like the keyboard key codes? If there were a way to map the two, and I bet there is, MIDI controllers I already own could do it. But how?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
mstemen

Default sounds like we have some great ideas...

Vince, I was actually tossin the idea of ripping a keyboard apart, but it looks like you beat me to it. ...ultimately it would be fantastic to be able to use any of the Midi controller pedals that exist already...either with native support built-in to JS, or by way of Brad's suggestion of mapping MIDI to keystrokes... anyone have any other ideas?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Newbie Brad

Many developers like TobyBear (MiniHost) are making VST hosts with the choice of virtual piano keyboards or piano key from the computer keyboard. Also some developers have coputer keyboard to midi controller softwares for free or cheap on the internet. I don't have time right now to study them but I think those applications might be doing just the same kind of mapping we're talking about, or kissing cousins. If I get a chance I'll think about this some more, maybe it could lead to the solution. If someone else has time to take it and run with it, please do. NB
Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
mstemen

Default update?

Well it's been awhile since any activity here... has anyone come up with any workable ideas for foot controls? I keep running up against walls and would like to know what others have found...if anything.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
joe

Default Foot control solution

Hi everybody-

Yesterday I finally hooked up my system to control Jesusonic by a footpedal. There's a shareware program called Bome's Midi Translator (http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/) that takes midi signals and converts them to keystrokes. I simply hooked my midi footpedal (Midi Mitigator RFC-1, in my case) to my computer via my M-Audio USB Quattro, set up the program to turn the signal into numbers 1 and 2, and it worked! I was using it for the looper and jammed all afternoon. Hope that helps.

Joe
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Newbie Brad

Joe, this is really good! Can you help walk me through what you did, and also if you think I need to take further steps if I want to select other Jesusonic choices? Sorry to be such a newb, your solution is really helpful and I'm green.

EDIT

Hey Joe, sorry to double-post. I had a look at the software, it's a great solution. This is how to do it. You ought to PM Justin the developer to tell him about it.

Last edited by Newbie Brad; 08-02-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Brad
[...]PM Justin the developer to tell him about it.
As Far As I Know Does Jesusonic Support Some Controls Over The PC's COM-Port (But Might Be Just The Linux Version.). Someone Could PM Justin And Ask What Exactly That Is About.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Newbie Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSER
As Far As I Know Does Jesusonic Support Some Controls Over The PC's COM-Port (But Might Be Just The Linux Version.). Someone Could PM Justin And Ask What Exactly That Is About.

Could you say that another way? I didn't understand. Sorry!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #12
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Brad
Could you say that another way? I didn't understand. Sorry!
Okay It's On The Windows Version, Too.

When You Start JS, You Start It With The wjesusonic.exe
And When You Start It You Can Start It With An Appendix, Like:

"wjesusonic.exe -showconfig", That Would Show The Audio Configuaration On The JS Start Up.

"wjesusonic.exe -nowriteout", That Would Disable The Writeout Function.

"wjesusonic.exe -inifile (filename).ini", That Would Start JS With The filename.ini As Ini File.

"wjesusonic.exe -foot com1", That Would Start JS With The Footcontrols On COM-PORT1.

"wjesusonic.exe -maxmem 64", That Would Restrict JS To A Maximum Memory Usage Of 64MB(?).

But "wjesusonic.exe -foot com1" Is The Important (In Our Case):
Justin Had Built Some JS-Hardware, Using Some Computer Hardware.
He Used The COM-PORT To Connect Footswitches To It. He Also Planned To Sell Those Hardware, But Being Bussy With REAPER, He Decided To Not Do It.
The Only Problem Is That All Those Footswitches And Stuff Have For Sure Been Cotume Made (By Justin), So Someone Might Need To Ask Justin How They Work To Maybe Built One Of There Own.

The MIDI-Thing Is A Good Idea, But I Just Wanted To Inform You That Justin Already Has Implemented A Way To Control JS With Footswitches.

EDIT:
Maybe The COM-PORT Is Somethnig Like MIDI Just With An Adapter Before It Or Whatever, I Dunno. And Since I'm Not Interested In Footswitches I Won't Figure It Out.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
Newbie Brad

That's a really good tip! Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
Amether

It's now pretty simple to set up a midi pedal to work with the loopsampler - replacing trigger 1 with a footswitch command (I'm using the expression controller just with on/off but you can program using the sustain controller if that's what your setup allows).

This is just like using bourne's translator but without the need of a midi port less and extra programs...

I've used this quite a lot now and the only problems lie in the quality of the pedal (double events sent or events not registering... Hm.)
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #15
NathanSmutz

Default USB extension cord and cheapo keyboard?

Maybe get a cheapo usb keyboard and pop all the keys off except the ones you use. Maybe put a piece of metal or plastic over the stubs. Then you can step on the space bar and such. Better still, you might mod one of those USB game controllers for foot use. Some of those are basicaly a programable keyboard.

PS. Did reaper add any functionality to Jesusonic plugins. It's getting more MIDI friendly all the time. Plus you can use VST plugins, etc.

SDG,
Nathan
NathanSmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #16
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSmutz View Post
Maybe get a cheapo usb keyboard and pop all the keys off except the ones you use. Maybe put a piece of metal or plastic over the stubs. Then you can step on the space bar and such. Better still, you might mod one of those USB game controllers for foot use. Some of those are basicaly a programable keyboard.

PS. Did reaper add any functionality to Jesusonic plugins. It's getting more MIDI friendly all the time. Plus you can use VST plugins, etc.

SDG,
Nathan
REAPER has JS MIDI support and it WAS very MIDI friendly ever since, it's only lacking people coding JS MIDI plug-in . So go a head and do it ...