Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old Today, 02:39 PM   #20561
AtmanActive
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
I think I'm starting to get my head around this.

So is what you really want a feedback Action that tells you whether a particular slot on the Selected Track has an FX Zone instantiated ?

Put another way, rather than automatically instantiate all FX on the Selected Track, you want to use an FXMenu-like approach, choose which FX to instantiate, and want feedback as to which slots have instantiated FX zones.
Close, but not really.

See, in my approach, I don't care about slots, and I don't want to keep track of them. That's the challenge here. The reason is that a track can already have a VSTi or several VSTfx from previous work and I want to keep that.

So, my channel-processing FXs are still being automatically instantiated but not all in bulk and not prepared in advance, but rather, as soon as I touch that particular encoder. I do have that part working right now with those Reascripts I developed and ReaLearn.

Yes, I'm using all three for this project: CSI + ReaLearn + Open Stage Control. (plus MIDI hardware).
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:47 PM   #20562
AtmanActive

ReaLearn is driving MIDI encoder to selected track's-FX-by-name-parameters.
ReaLearn is also executing Reascripts to instantiate that particular FX (if not there already) on the selected track when encoder is used.

CSI is driving the feedback with a home zone, selected track zone and $FX zones (plus enabling touch control while we're there).

Open Stage Control is driving the UI for the whole thing.
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #20563
AtmanActive

Quote:
So is what you really want a feedback Action that tells you whether a particular slot on the Selected Track has an FX Zone instantiated ?
What I want is a feedback Action that tells me whether any slot on the Selected Track has an FX Zone instantiated.
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #20564
Geoff Waddington

Ok, I thought I was getting it, obviously not

First off, why are you so concerned about offline, instantiation, etc. with modern hardware, have you got immense Track counts with extremely high FX counts, are you trying to run on an Arduino, trying to understand the fixation on super low resource usage.

Second, you say "See, in my approach, I don't care about slots, and I don't want to keep track of them. That's the challenge here. The reason is that a track can already have a VSTi or several VSTfx from previous work and I want to keep that."

Then a couple of posts later you say "What I want is a feedback Action that tells me whether any slot on the Selected Track has an FX Zone instantiated"

Does "any" include the "VSTi or several VSTfx from previous work" ?

Just not grasping what you are trying to accomplish here.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:08 PM   #20565
AtmanActive

Quote:
First off, why are you so concerned about offline, instantiation, etc. with modern hardware, have you got immense Track counts with extremely high FX counts, are you trying to run on an Arduino, trying to understand the fixation on super low resource usage.
Because in my work, I never ever worked on a song where CPU failing (buffer underruns) didn't force me to waste my time on bouncing, rendering, stemming, freezing and other similar techniques. In my world, you can never have enough CPU power. Furthermore, I'm a professional programmer and I do understand the importance of resource optimization.
It's easy to code an app, but to make it run effeciently - that's something else entirely. That's why my personal hero of all time is Mr Justin Frankel.

Quote:
Second, you say "See, in my approach, I don't care about slots, and I don't want to keep track of th
em. That's the challenge here. The reason is that a track can already have a VSTi or several VSTfx from previous work and I want to keep that."

Then a couple of posts later you say "What I want is a feedback Action that tells me whether any slot on the Selected Track has an FX Zone instantiated"

Does "any" include the "VSTi or several VSTfx from previous work" ?

Any slot for that particular FX, not any FX.

If I have "time_adjustment_delay.zon", then I want to know if "time_adjustment_delay" has been instantiated on the selected track, but I don't care about FX slot. I need feedback information if "time_adjustment_delay" is present on that track. I'm a human. I'm looking for a simple answer to a question "is it there or not". The fact that track has FX slots is just a technical thing that doesn't concern me as a human being operating the mixing machine.

The goal is to have exactly what you showed in your video, but in a human-friendly, fluid, organic way, the same way you, and all of us here felt when we first put our hands on an analog mixer way back when.

I'm trying to move forward into the future but bringing understanding and wisdom from the past, combining both in a seamless way.

I worked in a DAW with mouse and keyboard for last 30 years, and I got used to it, and it's all fine, but give me an analog mixer and I'll put the mix together in one fifth of time needed to click through it with the mouse and keyboard. So I'm working on bringing back that fluidity of an analog mixer workflow even though I'm still in Reaper world.
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #20566
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
Because in my work, I never ever worked on a song where CPU failing (buffer underruns) didn't force me to waste my time on bouncing, rendering, stemming, freezing and other similar techniques. In my world, you can never have enough CPU power. Furthermore, I'm a professional programmer and I do understand the importance of resource optimization.
It's easy to code an app, but to make it run effeciently - that's something else entirely. That's why my personal hero of all time is Mr Justin Frankel.
Ah, totally get it now, and on Mr Frankel, we are in total agreement !!!

CSI attempts to be as efficient as possible, doesn't always succeed, but doesn't give up trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
Any slot for that particular FX, not any FX.

If I have "time_adjustment_delay.zon", then I want to know if "time_adjustment_delay" has been instantiated on the selected track, but I don't care about FX slot. I need feedback information if "time_adjustment_delay" is present on that track. I'm a human. I'm looking for a simple answer to a question "is it there or not". The fact that track has FX slots is just a technical thing that doesn't concern me as a human being operating the mixing machine.

The goal is to have exactly what you showed in your video, but in a human-friendly, fluid, organic way, the same way you, and all of us here felt when we first put our hands on an analog mixer way back when.

I'm trying to move forward into the future but bringing understanding and wisdom from the past, combining both in a seamless way.

I worked in a DAW with mouse and keyboard for last 30 years, and I got used to it, and it's all fine, but give me an analog mixer and I'll put the mix together in one fifth of time needed to click through it with the mouse and keyboard. So I'm working on bringing back that fluidity of an analog mixer workflow even though I'm still in Reaper world.
I grew up on 2 inch and large format consoles, so yeah, we're in lock step there as well.

As to your design, I think I finally get it !!

You are interested in whether an FX from a certain list is present/active etc.

Do I finally have it right ?

If so, from where does this list come ?

How does CSI get a copy ?

And just a tiny pushback, the slots may not matter sonically, but the order of the FX may, therefore slots do come into play in a subtle way.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:13 PM   #20567
MixMonkey

Quote:
the slots may not matter sonically, but the order of the FX may, therefore slots do come into play in a subtle way.
That's what I couldn't get my head round either. The order of the FX on a track fundamentally determines the sound produced and the order is determined by what slot the various FX occupy.

This sounds more like it has a Lua script solution than a CSI one.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:23 PM   #20568
AtmanActive

Quote:
You are interested in whether an FX from a certain list is present/active etc.

Do I finally have it right ?

Yes.

Quote:
If so, from where does this list come ?

How does CSI get a copy ?
I'm hoping it would come from a special keyword/action/tag inside $FX.zon.

Since only the FXs defined in my Zones folder can be part of my channel-processor, then, there is my list. But I would still like to be able to add a few extra $FX.zon files that could be used for other stuff, like synths or reverbs or whatever, and for them I wouldn't need this kind of feedback, so an optional keyword/action/tag seems to be the best approach.

Quote:
And just a tiny pushback, the slots may not matter sonically, but the order of the FX may, therefore slots do come into play in a subtle way.
I was pondering this for days and finally decided that I don't want to go there. The sonic difference is so minute, and I'm still working with mouse and screen so I can always manually shuffle the FX ordering in the chain if needs be. But that happens to me once every few months, not every day.
Also, the Reascript that inserts FXs could easily be extended to add several FX at once, or to add a pre-compiled chain of several FXs if I ever discover that ordering is that much important for some particular combinations.

Who knows, maybe we'll have a way to shuffle the FXs in a chain in FXMenu one day, so I'll add simple left/right arrows in my UI around each section that would allow the operator to put, for example, compressor before equalizer, or filter after the exciter, or whatever.
Why not?