Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-09-2022, 01:15 AM   #1
Publicradio
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper chokes on yabridge, crashes after migration to new computer

I had Reaper for Linux working fine on my laptop, with yabridge and my VSTs. I just installed Reaper for Linux on a new computer, copied my Reaper settings, installed yabridge and wine, and started up Reaper from the CLI. It crashed and these are the error messages I got:

swell: dlopen() failed: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error loading /home/user/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reapack-x86_64.so: (null)

03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] Initializing yabridge host version 4.0.2 (32-bit compatibility mode)
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] Preparing to load VST2 plugin at '/home/user/Music Project/Resources/VST/FX/vintage/jb_ferox.dll'
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] Error while initializing the Wine plugin host:
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] connect: No such file or directory
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] The Wine host process has exited unexpectedly. Check the output above for more information.

When I run Reaper on the old computer, I have no such problem. All my VSTs are in the same absolute path as before, and so are the yabridge-generated .so files, and everything else. What could be going on here?
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:04 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicradio View Post
I had Reaper for Linux working fine on my laptop, with yabridge and my VSTs. I just installed Reaper for Linux on a new computer, copied my Reaper settings, installed yabridge and wine, and started up Reaper from the CLI. It crashed and these are the error messages I got:

swell: dlopen() failed: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error loading /home/user/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reapack-x86_64.so: (null)

03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] Initializing yabridge host version 4.0.2 (32-bit compatibility mode)
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] Preparing to load VST2 plugin at '/home/user/Music Project/Resources/VST/FX/vintage/jb_ferox.dll'
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] Error while initializing the Wine plugin host:
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] [Wine STDERR] connect: No such file or directory
03:10:39 [jb_ferox-136LPQlx] The Wine host process has exited unexpectedly. Check the output above for more information.

When I run Reaper on the old computer, I have no such problem. All my VSTs are in the same absolute path as before, and so are the yabridge-generated .so files, and everything else. What could be going on here?
Try running REAPER with `env YABRIDGE_NO_WATCHDOG=1 reaper`.

Yabridge worked perfectly on my system until an update to both WINE and Yabridge happened the same day. After that REAPER would vaporize trying to load Kontakt or Superior Drummer 2. Robbert had me try starting REAPER with that command, and it did work for most of my Windows plugins, but not all.

In the end, I switched back to using LinVST and all my Windows plugins work again.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
Publicradio

Thanks for the reply. It was simply my failure to follow directions when I installed yabridge. I forgot to run yabridge add (path to VSTs) and then yabridge sync.

Once I set up yabridge properly, everything works correctly. Sorry to hear you had problems. I used LinReaper for years, but it was always a little clunky and I suspect it's on its last legs. I think Native Linux Reaper is finally ready for prime time!
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
/AND/

I was just about to reply with the same: make sure you resync. What I usually do is first check with yabridgectl status. It shows all the paths and all synced items.

If it says that there are any remains or redundant entries, I check to see why is that, especially if it's something I need or care about.

After all that, just yabridgectl sync --purge.
/AND/ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicradio View Post
Thanks for the reply. It was simply my failure to follow directions when I installed yabridge. I forgot to run yabridge add (path to VSTs) and then yabridge sync.

Once I set up yabridge properly, everything works correctly. Sorry to hear you had problems. I used LinReaper for years, but it was always a little clunky and I suspect it's on its last legs. I think Native Linux Reaper is finally ready for prime time!
REAPER for Linux is absolutely in the same league as REAPER for Win or Mac. I've been using REAPER for Linux since 2018, originally with LinVST the first three years, then Yabridge for a year, and now back to LinVST. I could prolly fix the issue with Yabridge, but it was quicker to flip LinVST back on so I could get back to making music.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote