Human being with feelings

Default v6.67+dev0912 - September 12 2022

v6.67+dev0912 - September 12 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fade editing changes
  • * Includes feature branch: selected media item appearance changes
  • * Includes feature branch: track grouping manager dialog
  • * Includes feature branch: CLAP plugin support
  • * Includes feature branch: track media/razor edit grouping
  • * Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
  • + Media explorer: preserve cached user-overridden metadata when loading filesystem cache that was created in an older version of REAPER [t=270612]
  • + Metadata: fix deadlink to XMP metadata specification
  • # CLAP: fix initialization with oversampling [p=2595191]
  • # MacOS: fix hang when closing metadata image window
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 09-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #2
Sujununna

Default Reasurroundpan (influence issue) (6.67+dev0912)

Hi dev's so maybe i post this issue with picture i took. so in this position sound seems to come quite bit quieter (also same position other side) than elsewhere. it is working correctly in main version of reaper except bug I mentioned in the main version 6.67 (Bug reports)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reasurroundpan.jpg (198.8 KB, 115 views)
Sujununna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #3
dom64

CLAP: fix initialization with oversampling

- Thanks v.much Justin and Schwa, seems fixed here. =)
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
Tale

Default CLAPi crashes when receiving SysEx

Kee Bass CLAP seems to crash when receiving SysEx.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load VST: ReaControlMIDI.
2. Enter some random SysEx bytes, e.g. "12 34 56 78".
3. Load CLAPi: Kee Bass (after ReaControlMIDI in the FX chain).
4. In ReaControlMIDI click on the SysEx "Re-send" button -> Crash!

Note that Kee Bass doesn't support SysEx, but it shouldn't crash, right? Then again, this is an alpha version of Kee Bass, and last time it crashed it was also my fault, so maybe this time it's my fault as well...

Anyway, test on both Windows and macOS, with Kee Bass v1.2.0 alpha4 (Windows, macOS).

EDIT: I forgot to say that when I add SysEx support (just to debug log the SysEx event), then the SysEx data itself seems fine, and my process finishes normally, so it seems to crash after returning from my process function.

Last edited by Tale; 09-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
Tale

Default CLAP 3-byte SysEx sent as regular MIDI message

A CLAP plugin seems to receive a 3-byte SysEx message (either via ReaControlMIDI or a SYX file) as a regular MIDI message instead of a SysEx message. I.e. "F0 12 F7" gets sent as a regular MIDI message with status byte 0xF0, and data bytes 0x12 and 0xF7. IMHO this is unwanted behavior, because:

a) CLAP plugins will have two code paths for SysEx, while VST plugins have only a single code path.

b) Although not explicitly stated in the CLAP spec (nor the VST 2.4 spec, BTW), I would assume that the first byte is the status byte (with bit 7 set), and the other 2 bytes are data bytes (with bit 7 cleared). But this SysEx message has bit 7 set for the 2nd data byte (and also for 1st data byte if you enter e.g. "F0 89 F7" in ReaControlMIDI).
Old 09-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Kee Bass CLAP seems to crash when receiving SysEx.
Thanks, fixing!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
A CLAP plugin seems to receive a 3-byte SysEx message (either via ReaControlMIDI or a SYX file) as a regular MIDI message instead of a SysEx message.
Thanks, also fixing!
Old 09-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #8
MatthijsH

Default CLAP oversampling issue fixed, thank you! However, CPU usage calculation seems off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom64 View Post
CLAP: fix initialization with oversampling

- Thanks v.much Justin and Schwa, seems fixed here. =)
Can confirm that the audio seems to be processed correctly now after oversample rate change

However, the displayed CPU calculation (I don't think actual usage) seems way too high.
I got values into the thousands of percent earlier.
Maybe a value got multiplied twice, rather than just once?

P.S. Multiplication factor seems to hover around 4x, rather than 2x, with each increase in o.s. value.
Attached Images
File Type: png 305890530_632768285137687_7942866483260558576_n.png (116.6 KB, 85 views)
MatthijsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthijsH View Post
Can confirm that the audio seems to be processed correctly now after oversample rate change

However, the displayed CPU calculation (I don't think actual usage) seems way too high.
I got values into the thousands of percent earlier.
Maybe a value got multiplied twice, rather than just once?

P.S. Multiplication factor seems to hover around 4x, rather than 2x, with each increase in o.s. value.
ah thanks, fixing (this affects 6.67 and non-CLAP too, boo)

Last edited by Justin; 09-12-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:29 AM   #10
Tale

Default MacOS CLAP vs VST GUI unused space

When the REAPER FX window on macOS is larger than my CLAP GUI it's displayed in the left bottom corner, but with VST it's displayed in the left top corner. Also, with CLAP the unused space is black, or sometimes it even shows leftovers from a previous draw (so I guess not all of the window is redrawn).

Attached Images
File Type: png CLAP.png (104.3 KB, 858 views)
File Type: png VST2.png (104.6 KB, 842 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 02:01 AM   #11
Dimson

I noticed a bug in the behavior of the function "Insert recent retroactively recorded MIDI for armed and selected tracks", if you temporarily change the Play Rate of the project, then this function restores midi not in the tempo of the project.
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:37 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
When the REAPER FX window on macOS is larger than my CLAP GUI it's displayed in the left bottom corner, but with VST it's displayed in the left top corner. Also, with CLAP the unused space is black, or sometimes it even shows leftovers from a previous draw (so I guess not all of the window is redrawn).
Hmm, actually I think this might be the plugin's responsibility. Unlike with VST, the host has no access to the plugin's window object. In this case, the plugin's window is parented to a window that is larger than the plugin's window, so the plugin's window needs to position itself properly and clear the unused background area. Although, if the plugin does not support resizing, I don't think there is any way other than polling for the plugin to know that the parent window size changed. I'll mention this issue in the clap discord.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:56 AM   #13
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Hmm, actually I think this might be the plugin's responsibility. Unlike with VST, the host has no access to the plugin's window object. In this case, the plugin's window is parented to a window that is larger than the plugin's window, so the plugin's window needs to position itself properly and clear the unused background area.
But that's only on macOS, right? Because on Windows it seems to work just fine, and there resizing the FX window does in fact seem to resize the parent window provided by REAPER rather than my plugin window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Although, if the plugin does not support resizing, I don't think there is any way other than polling for the plugin to know that the parent window size changed. I'll mention this issue in the clap discord.
Thanks!

On another note: The track control circular knob now works better with stepped CLAP parameter values (see here), but it's not perfect yet it that it seems to move down much faster than up (tested on Windows and macOS).
Old 09-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #14
EvilDragon

Regarding these bullet points from 6.66dev0902 build (sorry I didn't get to this ealier!)

Code:
REAPER v6.66+dev0902 - September 2 2022 # CLAP: map plug-in exported feature strings to VST categories, sort of # CLAP: support multiple categories per plugin [p=2591700]

I think the main categories shouldn't even be considered for Reaper's category browser - they are way way way too broad ("audio effect" and "instrument", simply not sufficient tbh).

CLAP sub-categories make more sense to include in a Category tree that we have. For example:

It's super nice though that Reaper will now use multiple categories if they're defined for the plugin!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
dom64

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Regarding these bullet points from 6.66dev0902 build (sorry I didn't get to this ealier!)

Code:
REAPER v6.66+dev0902 - September 2 2022 # CLAP: map plug-in exported feature strings to VST categories, sort of # CLAP: support multiple categories per plugin [p=2591700]

I think the main categories shouldn't even be considered for Reaper's category browser - they are way way way too broad ("audio effect" and "instrument", simply not sufficient tbh).

CLAP sub-categories make more sense to include in a Category tree that we have. For example:

It's super nice though that Reaper will now use multiple categories if they're defined for the plugin!

Yeah I've also noticed there seems to be a fair bit of disorganisation with all the CLAP categories still. I have a fair amount of clap plugins installed, most of them are in strange categories or generic category lists.

Audiority SpaceStation is under 'audio-effect', rather than 'delay' or 'reverb' like it's vst3 versions.

Bratwurst Fuzz is under 'audio_effect', rather than 'distortion' in the vst3 version.

Robbert's are all in many categories; tis quite funny. (https://github.com/robbert-vdh/nih-plug)

Hope that helps in some way.
Dom
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:35 AM   #16
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
[b][*]# MacOS: fix hang when closing metadata image window
Great, I can confirm the fix.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:37 AM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom64 View Post
Yeah I've also noticed there seems to be a fair bit of disorganisation with all the CLAP categories still.
CLAP plugins export categories as whatever strings they want to export. There are some standardized category names in the CLAP headers that REAPER will try to regularize but if a plugin wants to export random words, that's on the plugin! I came across one plugin that exported a bunch of categories including the words "and" and "more".
Old 09-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #18
elcalen

I've been trying out CLAP plugins for the first time (U-he Hive and Diva), and I noticed I was getting way more hung notes than before with these synths. It specifically seems to happen when I hit play while playing back (without hitting stop in between). Doesn't appear to happen with the VST3 versions.

EDIT: tested also with Odin 2 and I can reproduce the issue pretty reliably, so this isn't specific to U-he plugins. And again the VST3 seems to work fine.

Last edited by elcalen; 09-14-2022 at 10:40 AM.
elcalen is offline   Reply With Quote