Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
tgraph
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI notes keep playing at end of song

I need a little help and I'm probably missing something easy, I hope. I have an EZKeys MIDI track playing some piano... at the end of the song, I get one last loud chord it seems. I've tried doing an automated fade out on the master bus. I've shut all the effects off the MIDI track. It comes after the MIDI track is done. Is there a way to make the sound stop?
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
ivansc

tgraph: One way to check on the MIDI note off thing is to look at your file in the event list editor & see if you didnt maybe accidentally cut it off when adding that EZkeys MIDI to the track
Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
tgraph

After finally finding the event list, I see that the notes off end of line deal is outside the end of the edit time. I have no idea how to change all that. I'm not a MIDI guy for the most part. I'm moving a MIDI construction from EZKeys to the track and then I do some editing there.

I find that when I render the track the notes don't keep playing. I'm using a volume automation fade on the 2bus, but even with that I get the trailing notes during playback, but not on rendering.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
ivansc

One solution is to move the note off till it is within the bounds of your item/selection/WHY. Easy as changing the time column in the event list editor.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #5
ivansc

Forgot to tell you how and where to look. Open the naughty parts that need fixing in the Event list editor & manually change the event timing of the note off you need to change so it falls within the boundaries of the bar you want it to control.

EG: If it shows up at 6.1.001 (bar 6 beat one tick one) and you want it to stop within bar 5, just change the time of the note off event to 5.4.399 or similar till you get it where you want it.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
tgraph

Thanks for the info. This level of MIDI editing is not my thing usually.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #7
ivansc

Ha Ha! well - it is now! Wwelcome to the club.
The problem with MIDI is that the mopre you learn, the more you tend to push the envelope. I have 38 years in using MIDI and stuff regularly trips me up, but we have several MIDI gurus on here that will generally bale you out when you hit something you cant do.
Have fun!

Oh and btw - all you have to do in order to move when an event takes place is change its event position in the event list editor.
This can be done by editing the position of the event you want moving in the second column from the left - labelled - "position" - so the event start position is where you want it.

The position is expressed as Bar/Beat/ticks, with ticks(number of events per quarter note) generally being preset to something like 192, 384, 960. Not really relevant since Reaper generally wont let you put in a value higher than what is available.

On a side note, the events per quarter note setting is what decides the MIDI relsolution of your project. I used 192 per quarter note for years but have recently moved up a notch to 384. For me, anything larger than that is finer than I would ever use.