Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Mr_Walkaway
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer Xenyx USB question

Hi there,
I imagine I'm just missing something obvious, but I'm having some issues here.

I just bought a Xenyx 1832USB used so that I could start recording full drum tracks. I am using 4 mics (snare, kick, OH1 & 2), and each is XLR'ed into my Behringer channels 1 - 4. I've got sound coming into my computer and into Reaper, and have sound coming out (I can hear what's going on thru the Behringer headphone jack), but all the mixer channels come into all the tracks. If I create 4 tracks in Reaper for each of the items, all the mics come into each track equally, almost as though the USB is sending to my computer on just 1 mic channel. Is this something simple that I'm missing, and if not, is there somewhere someone could point me for advice?

Thanks!
Mr_Walkaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
Stella645

The USB interface in this mixer is not intended for multitrack recording.
It only records the stereo out.

By panning tracks fully left and right on the mixer you could multitrack 2 mics at once, but if you want 4 mics or more on individual tracks you need to buy hardware capable of 4 channel recording.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Mr_Walkaway

Well that's a huge bummer - the guy who sold it to me said it would do that, guess I should have researched it first.

Well in that case, if I wanted to just use the 1832 as a 6-channel preamp (for more mic inputs) and send it into my Scarlett 18i6 as a stereo Right/Left on channels 3/4 (I have piano and vox on 1 & 2 and would rather not have to keep changing my Audio device in Reaper anytime I want to do drums or midi), is there something special I need to do for the audio to come through to the Scarlett?

Thanks

Last edited by Mr_Walkaway; 02-20-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
Stella645

All is not lost....The 18i6 has 6 line ins and the mixer has 6 channel insert points (that can also work as direct outs)

So with the right cables or adapters you could actually record all 6 mic channels from the mixer into the Focusrite. You do need the correct connections as you're cheating the system using an insert as a direct out.

See here for your options.

http://support.allen-heath.com/Knowl...s-a-direct-out

Otherwise yes....just connect stereo outs to ins 3/4 and pan channels full left/right to record on 2 mono tracks.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Mr_Walkaway

Whew, thanks for the supply and info but that's well beyond my (current) skill capabilities!

I'm not getting any sound from the Behringer into the Scarlett but I'll keep messing around.