COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > The Camel Farm

Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
DCEconomist
Human being with feelings

Default Automatic linking to the same product on other Amazon sites

Thanks for a wonderful site!

Here is a suggestion. For those of us willing to order from Amazon's international sites, we would find it useful, once we started tracking an item on Amazon's USA site to view a popup box where we could pick the international sites for which we would like to track that item. Then, as long as I am making wishes, it would be nice to see our international site items along side our USA Amazon items. My guess is that such integration would be a major headache, but I thought I would ask, just in case I am wrong. Of course, if you did do this, people will want a the price adjusted by the current exchange rate.

Thanks again for a great site!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Dan
up here in my tree

Hi DCEconomist,

While we don't have anything in place for viewing one item across all locales, we do provide a way to view all of your tracked products across all locales.

If you go to http://camelcamelcamel.com/tracker after logging in, you can see a list of your tracked products. If you're tracking items that are not in your current locale, it will display them with that locale's flag and currency (though we do not provide exchange information - talk about a headache waiting to happen). You can also filter the list such that only items from one locale appear.

Take a look at this screenshot and you can see what I mean: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/525159/camels.png

Thanks for taking the time to post your feature request, I think it would make the site more useful and I'm sure other users would agree. To be honest, I hadn't even considered it; but now I think it has found a place on my todo list :]

Glad you like the site!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
Dan
up here in my tree

Here you go DCEconomist - I implemented your request: http://blog.camelcamelcamel.com/302/site-update.html

Not all products exist in all/multiple locales but I think the detection code should work OK for those that do. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
DCEconomist

Default Thanks!

It took me a bit to find the button, because it wasn't quite in the same location as in your screen shot. (Also, because your screen shot shows only a portion of the screen I was looking too far to the left.) But it works!

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
DCEconomist

Default I just noticed

that the button pulls up only the Amazon prices, not any prices from third party sellers. Are those prices difficult to include? (Feel free to tell me to stop whining!)
Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Dan
up here in my tree

I have made some changes, take a look and let me know what you think :]

A good test page - http://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001COU9I6
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
DCEconomist

Default I found the button easily this time

but it isn't finding the product in the other Amazon sites. I suspect that you are performing a word search on the other site, but that doesn't work well when the product is called something else in another language. Instead, can you use the product's ASIN number to locate the product on the international Amazon sites?

Here is a concrete example: on the US site, Amazon sells a Brilliant Classics product called Bach Edition (a CD set). The ASIN is B000HRME5U. Clicking on the "look for international prices" button brings up nothing, but the item exists on the CA, UK, FR and DE websites (probably Japan and China too). If you can make your program search for the ASIN then I am confident it will work. (Amazon happily searches by ASIN, that is how I look for stuff on Amazon international websites.)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Dan
up here in my tree

ASINs are not guaranteed to match same products across locales, so I am looking up by EAN/ISBN, model number, etc. ASINs do match some products across other locales tho, so I can add it and we'll see what happens.

Another thing to consider is that we can only display products we're aware of, so if something isn't showing up and you're sure it should, go visit that product's page (which will add it to our database). Next time you try to load it (after the cached version expires), the missing product should appear.

I have uploaded the changes, please check them out and let me know how they work for you.

Last edited by Dan; 05-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.