Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
warx
Human being with feelings

Default X18 ASIO multitrack working except inputs 1 & 2 (have ALL audio mixed!)

Hi,

I have an X18 connected to a Surface 3 with latest ASIO drivers installed. I can record from all inputs 3-18 and all outputs (1-18) work fine. Inputs 1 & 2 seem to always have a mix of ALL outputs/usb inputs. This even includes any metronome or sends on any outputs.

This is only happening with my Windows 10/ASIO setup - on the Mac it's fine inputs 1&2 work as expected. I can't find any settings that would indicate it's trying to sum the inputs/outputs for 1 & 2.

I can work around it (don't use 1 & 2) but they are the two high-Z inputs so for my upright bass I need to use a different pre-amp with the other inputs.

Any pointers on debugging would be greatly appreciated!!

-Mike.
warx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
foxAsteria

It's often the case that a pair of ASIO channels is dedicated to the stereo mix. My guess is that the first two inputs listed are not actually the first two inputs (sometimes they are listed out of order).

You can check this in preferences/audio and edit the names of the channels. The HW names and/or # should be in order and you can drag them into place if they are not.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
warx

Ah - OK. Then I'll assume I can't fix this and it's really a 16x18 not 18x18. 1 & 2 would've been my most used channels! Bummer. I would've hoped they'd have kept the regular 1 & 2 and added a mix pair as well (i.e. have 20 inputs).
Old 12-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Ah well I wasn't saying that's definitely the case, just something I've seen happen. If there are 20 ins listed for a device with only 18, then the other two are mostly likely the stereo mix.

All I was suggesting is looking at the hardware ID's vs their alias in preferences and see if they're mislabeled or out of order (easy to fix). There would never be the option to tie up two physical jacks in favor of virtual ASIO channels.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
warx

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Ah well I wasn't saying that's definitely the case, just something I've seen happen. If there are 20 ins listed for a device with only 18, then the other two are mostly likely the stereo mi.
Understand - thanks! Yeah I had hoped there was 20 inputs listed with two each of "Input 1" & 2 but alas there's not.

I think I am at a dead end with this. I suppose if I need to record 16 mic inputs I can use pre-amps on 17 & 18 or just take the MacBook instead of the Surface.

I am wondering if Asio4ALL is worth a try instead of the X18 ASIO drivers?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by warx View Post
I am wondering if Asio4ALL is worth a try instead of the X18 ASIO drivers?
NO! It's only a last resort or for people who can't afford/access an audio device. Another device driver will not detect the hardware ports any differently anyway. I'd suggest poking around in the software or manual that came with it. There's usually a virtual mixer or something to change settings.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-12-2018 at 11:49 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
warx

Solved:-

Looking in the X-Air Edit app IN/OUT setup page and USB Sends section USB 1 and 2 are set to MAIN L/R !!! However, from my Mac (which does not have the X-Air Edit app) it does not have these as MAINs. I don't know how the mixer has a different default setups for different USB connected computers.