Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Revived Song - Step Outside

I originally recorded this one a while back, and decided to get it back out and run it up the flag pole. It's titled "Step Outside".

I was trying to capture the 60s 12-String era, so I'm playing my electric 12-String, 6-String, Bass, Drums, and a cheezy organ sound.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13814005
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
Jeffsounds

I like it! The 12-string sounds good but not like the 60s Roger McGuinn. I was just reading about how he got that jangly sound a few days ago:

"While "tracking" The Byrds' first single, "Mr. Tambourine Man", at Columbia studios, McGuinn discovered an important component of his style. "The 'Ric' [Rickenbacker guitar] by itself is kind of thuddy," he notes. "It doesn't ring. But if you add a compressor, you get that long sustain. To be honest, I found this by accident. The engineer, Ray Gerhardt, would run compressors on everything to protect his precious equipment from loud rock and roll. He compressed the heck out of my 12-string, and it sounded so great we decided to use two tube compressors [likely Teletronix LA-2As] in series, and then go directly into the board. That's how I got my 'jingle-jangle' tone. It's really squashed down, but it jumps out from the radio. With compression, I found I could hold a note for three or four seconds, and sound more like a wind instrument. Later, this led me to emulate John Coltrane's saxophone on "Eight Miles High". Without compression, I couldn't have sustained the riff's first note."

I've always loved the sound of an electric 12 string. Wish I had one and maybe someday I will. Anyway, the song is very cool and if you were looking for any critiques, that would be my only one.

Good job!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
poplomop

Nice one. Ans a little cheese organ once in a while ain't never hurt nobody haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I like it! The 12-string sounds good but not like the 60s Roger McGuinn.and then go directly into the board.
Could be somewhat of an illusion. They weren't afraid to be lopsided back then. Drums and bass on the left, and guitar on the right, which made it stand out that much more.
poplomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 AM   #4
Duophonics

Cool how it goes from an intro reminiscent of the 'Friends' theme to a far more psychedelic melodic approach. But all fits. Nice.
Duophonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #5
g4greg

I like it, it's well done

It's like the vibe of the late 60-early 70s, but with a modern twist..

I'd listen to more of that!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post

He's got a knack for nailing that sound!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I like it! The 12-string sounds good but not like the 60s Roger McGuinn. I was just reading about how he got that jangly sound a few days ago:

I've always loved the sound of an electric 12 string. Wish I had one and maybe someday I will. Anyway, the song is very cool and if you were looking for any critiques, that would be my only one.

Good job!!!
Thanks Jeff. I'm doubling the 12 with a 6-String too, which prolly hides some jangly too. The 12-String I have is an inexpensive Dean Boca. I'd like a Ric, but they're too much money for this drummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poplomop View Post
Nice one. Ans a little cheese organ once in a while ain't never hurt nobody haha.

Could be somewhat of an illusion. They weren't afraid to be lopsided back then. Drums and bass on the left, and guitar on the right, which made it stand out that much more.
Thanks poplomop. Sure made it easy to hear what they were doing on those old hard panned records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duophonics View Post
Cool how it goes from an intro reminiscent of the 'Friends' theme to a far more psychedelic melodic approach. But all fits. Nice.
Thanks Duophonics, I was in Vegas, heard Pleasant Valley Sunday and thought "I have to write something in that vein when I get home". The bass line was actually the first part I came up with, and then I stacked the other stuff on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post

Thanks Greg! If you let it continue, there are about 8 vocal tunes in a row. I decided to dust off some of the fun ones and put them first on my music page.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:59 AM   #8
zeekat

Cheezy organ and harmonizing background vox make it.

(but I'm still not going outside, there's wolves there)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Cheezy organ and harmonizing background vox make it.

(but I'm still not going outside, there's wolves there)
Thanks Zeekat! I decided to get out eight of my vocal tunes the other day, and put them all at the front of my music site.