* Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
* Includes feature branch: render internals simplification/cleanup
* Includes feature branch: user-defined action overhaul
* Includes feature branch: media explorer toolbar
* Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
+ Batch converter: add preset menu item to clear all converter settings
+ Batch converter: improve RAM usage
+ Media item lanes: double-click lane tab to select all items in lane
# Batch converter: disable directory input fields when writing to source directory, disable file input fields when overwriting source file
# Batch converter: fix file extension when overwrite is enabled but input and output formats differ
# Media explorer: automatically brighten color for unwritten metadata in macOS dark mode
# macOS: fix more dark/light mode switch cases [p=2518846]

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v6.46+dev0122 - January 22 2022
+ Batch converter: add preset menu item to clear all converter settings
Wow thanks so much, this is just what i wished for! I see it does not clear the FX chain. Would it be possible to (optionally) enable that?

Also, how about adding "Source" as output format option and make it the default (when clearing all settings)? An example where this would be useful is if we just want to change sample rate of an audio file. This would make sure that we don't accidentally change file format.

Another suggestion would be to enable preserving start offset and metadata by default (when clearing all settings). It would be a "less destructive" conversion, if that makes sense.

Really kudos on the improved UX in the batch converter. The automatic disabling of text fields that aren't applicable helps the user understanding what he is doing.

EDIT:

The resample mode after clearing all settings is 192pt sinc. Wasn't the default always 64pt sinc?

And btw, just tested the file extension fix. I confirm that it works correctly now.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
bolgwrad

So good. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
AZpercussion

Cool, thanks!
Also it would helpful to see common lanes number when lane height too small for normal tabs.
Cause now if we have no items in visible area it's impossible to say how many lanes there are.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
Phazma

Some further thoughts...

While the option to clear all settings is great, sometimes we may have different configurations that we want to go back to for different converting sessions.

This is where presets would be useful. However the presets in the batch converter don't save most of the settings for some reason (tbh I never understood how they work and what their use is so I just left them alone when I've seen that they are unreliable).

So would it be possible to change the presets system in a way that it saves everything under 'Output', 'Options' and 'Output Format' (including text fields, FX chain, Metadata, etc)?

Or get something in addition to the preset system to do that (if it needs to stay the way it is)?

Or at least allow one configuration that we can save as default and that will be recalled on "Clear all settings"? (Though I think it would be better if 'Clear all settings' remained a factory default while we additionally get the possibility of a user default).
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
Nice thanks! I think it would be also nice if the size of the background color on the selected track could change when we swap to fixed lanes to the size of the lane that we click. It would be useful to focus easier to a lane no matter the size.
Few more ideas that comes in mind as a future suggestion: Maybe asking to much, I think if we could reorder lanes with left drag from the lane number would be also useful.
Also, perhaps a dedicated right click menu for the numbers with solo/mute and maybe collapse?
(Sorry i couldn't resist)
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #7
MrTsonts

This is very good, but it would be better if the "tab" of item lanes did not affect the "track" area for mouse modifiers. And it would be cooler if "tab" item lanes had its own area for mouse modifiers.
Now I have edit cursor without the need to change the position.

MrTsonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #8
bolgwrad

If you Alt+dbl/click on the lane tab, the edit cursor doesn't move.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 01-22-2022 at 03:13 PM. Reason: +dbl
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #9
ferropop

Seems to have broken with the recent MIDI Editor Zoom-In fix.

SWS: Toggle triplet/swing/dotted grid

-no longer updates grid divisions in MIDI Editor
-if changed manually from drop-down, works correctly

Last edited by ferropop; 01-22-2022 at 09:04 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #10
MrTsonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
If you Alt+dbl/click on the lane tab, the edit cursor doesn't move.
Yeah, I know about it. But this situation reduces the capabilities of the mouse modifier.
MrTsonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:51 PM   #11
clepsydrae

Default Batch converter

When the "Use source file directory structure" option is selected but only one file is found, it does not create the subdirectories...

E.g. file /testdir/subdir/file.wav, "Add" directory /testdir, Output Directory is "/outputdir", File name is "$source", expected output would be "/outputdir/subdir/file.wav" but actual output is "/outputdir/file.wav" (as shown in the text field at the top of the dialog as well as actual output.)

For >1 file it seems to work fine.

Intentional?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:03 PM   #12
clepsydrae

Just converted 1717 small files (reverb IRs) with normalization in 5:37... worked great!

I could watch the statuses change in the text field, but a progress bar, or at least a running count of "x/y finished" or "x queued, y done, z error" would be nice.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:01 AM   #13
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
+ Batch converter:[/B] add preset menu item to clear all converter settings
I always wished to see a "watch folder" option in Batch Converter!

Thanks DEVS for the inprovements.

Cheers!
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:29 AM   #14
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
When the "Use source file directory structure" option is selected but only one file is found, it does not create the subdirectories...

E.g. file /testdir/subdir/file.wav, "Add" directory /testdir, Output Directory is "/outputdir", File name is "$source", expected output would be "/outputdir/subdir/file.wav" but actual output is "/outputdir/file.wav" (as shown in the text field at the top of the dialog as well as actual output.)

For >1 file it seems to work fine.

Intentional?
That is how it's currently designed, yes. "use source file directory structure" will recreate the directory structure below the last common directory shared by all of the source files.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #15
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

This SWS action effectively uses native MIDI editor actions 'Grid: 'Set grid type to triplet' etc, which seem to behave the same way (i.e. stopped working).

Last edited by nofish; 01-23-2022 at 12:38 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

Ahh this is probably the actions ID overhaul, fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:53 AM   #17
svijayrathinam

Hi Justin,

Another SWS action "SWS/S&M: Focus main window (only valid within custom actions)" stopped working. I have been using this inside custom actions and triggering with keyboard shortcuts. It stopped working with the pre releases. I guess this is also the action ID overhaul issue ?
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:16 AM   #18
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Hi Justin,

Another SWS action "SWS/S&M: Focus main window (only valid within custom actions)" stopped working. I have been using this inside custom actions and triggering with keyboard shortcuts. It stopped working with the pre releases. I guess this is also the action ID overhaul issue ?

OMG, I'm using a lot of SWS actions...
Old 01-24-2022, 03:13 AM   #19
airon

I tried some compression tests again today.

At 126000 files it was the same speed as before. It looks like it's rebuilding the list for display as soon as I click on a dropdown.

At 43000 files it's just a little quicker, but as before the compression with Wavpack is also dead slow. The files should be rattling through the convert at amazing speeds, but files less than 10 MB in size apparently take 4-5 seconds in some cases to compress even in Fast mode. So the overhead behind the scenes must be getting out of control for that many files.

Clearing the list takes quite a while as well. Not sure it's linear.

It's difficult to measure exeactly how many files I'm throwing in to the window because the batch convert displays no such count and so far I've only thrown entire directories in where I could easily count the files inside. If you put a counter somewhere, perhaps I could zero in on a threshold where things get hairy far more easily.

I'll keep coming back to this. Recreating directory structures is just too good to not use.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:45 AM   #20
AZpercussion

Default Glue bug with fixed lanes

I can't get the same sound before and after glueing, cause wrong fades handling.

Also, please, match names of glue actions in action list and dropdown menu. It's confuse new users.

There is a big bunch of glue actions and it's difficult to figure it out what you really need.

By the way, what difference between Glue items in action list and Glue items, expanding to time selection if any ?

And there is not action with including leading fade-in and trailing fade-out and auto-increase channel count with take FX.

These moments not about pre-release itself, but more actual due Fixed lanes. Please, devs, take a look at this in complex and I hope you'll make users life easier!
Old 01-24-2022, 04:53 AM   #21
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
I can't get the same sound before and after glueing, cause wrong fades handling.
I think the only way gluing can work with overlapping, not crossfaded items is to use "glue items, including leading fade-in and trailing fade-out". If existing fades affect different overlapping items differently, you have to print the fades when you glue.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:58 AM   #22
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
Loving this feature - added 2x oversampling on all my channel strip plugins in all the tracks and seems to add just a touch more clarity to everything without slowing render times significantly - using r8brain

My mix Template I use here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16WM...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 01-24-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:26 AM   #23
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think the only way gluing can work with overlapping, not crossfaded items is to use "glue items, including leading fade-in and trailing fade-out". If existing fades affect different overlapping items differently, you have to print the fades when you glue.
Shouldn't standard glue action print fades automatically in the cases like on my GIF?

Moreover, when I use time sel glue, I want to ignore fades at all, even items edges equal TS edges. Else I force to look into long list of glue action to find useable action in this particular case. Or I force to drag TS a little more, that is obvious workaround.
Also remember about channel count.

Last edited by AZpercussion; 01-24-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #24
bFooz

Media item normalization

Idea: normalize to common gain PER TRACK.

Meaning items in a single track would be normalzied to the common gain, but would not be dependent on another tracks.

Currently you normalize just item-by-item or all selected items to the common gain. But if you have tracks with multiple items in each, a single track is well balanced to the self, and you want to normalize all of that on track-by-track basis, you need to either glue tracks or manually select all items in a particular track, run the action and repeat for the next track.

If this was implemented, you select all items at once, run the appropriate action and done.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #25
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Media item normalization

Idea: normalize to common gain PER TRACK.

Meaning items in a single track would be normalzied to the common gain, but would not be dependent on another tracks.

Currently you normalize just item-by-item or all selected items to the common gain. But if you have tracks with multiple items in each, a single track is well balanced to the self, and you want to normalize all of that on track-by-track basis, you need to either glue tracks or manually select all items in a particular track, run the action and repeat for the next track.

If this was implemented, you select all items at once, run the appropriate action and done.
This would be a very useful feature since I currently use RX Advanced to normalize all tracks to -26LUFS before starting any mix. Saving them as 32-bit float wav would allow full dynamics as well without having to limit
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:24 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It looks like it's rebuilding the list for display as soon as I click on a dropdown.
Meaning what exactly?

When you have a long list loaded and press convert, is there a long delay before anything happens?
Old 01-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #27
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Hi Justin,

Are you using the latest release of reaper_sws? v2.12.1 #3 is working here, can you give me exact steps to reproduce?
Old 01-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #28
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
Shouldn't standard glue action print fades automatically in the cases like on my GIF?
Yeah, it should, making it so
Old 01-25-2022, 03:42 AM   #29
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Are you using the latest release of reaper_sws? v2.12.1 #3 is working here, can you give me exact steps to reproduce?
I am using SWS version 2.13.0.04ca04948 Built on Dec 20 2021.

After I posted this I made a change to the key command in the actions list. I made that as Global key command in the scope field instead or "Normal". And then it started working. But strangely It was working with scope set normal prior to these action id overhaul.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #30
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
It looks like it's rebuilding the list for display as soon as I click on a dropdown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Meaning what exactly?
I'd speculated that was happening because the list got updated when I picked anything in the output format dropdowns. And that took a number of seconds. But it also happens when I just click on a dropdown.

Quote:
When you have a long list loaded and press convert, is there a long delay before anything happens?
Yes.

Some detailed stats.
  • Dag'n'dropping a directory in to an empty batch window, pick 'scan subdirectories'.
    Scan of 128400 files (578 GB) took 38 seconds off a 12TB HD(new last year).

• Click on Mode in the output format section, that has already been set to Wavpack and 24-bit.

Time between click and the dropdown menu showing up. 10 seconds

This was about two seconds faster the second time onward.

• Select the Normal mode when Fast mode was previously set.

Time until interface is accessible again, i.e. mouse-overs over interface elements highlights those elements again. 29 seconds

• Click on Convert All

Time until the list view reports that a file is being worked on by showing a percentage progress. 20 seconds. Less than 10 on the second try and onwards.

Here's a Licecap of the start and stop conversion together with a view of the taskmanager. 2 MB. https://stash.reaper.fm/43750/reaper...28400files.zip

Over half a minute of processing produced a grand total of almost 12 MB of Wavpack files at the target location.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote