Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
garubi
Human being with feelings

Default Another "is better Vista or XP?" thread, dated 2014!

Since for the work I've got a new laptop (I'm a web developer) I'll "recycle" my old one to be my Music PC.

This is a 2009 Toshiba Satellite, Dual Core, 32bit, 3 Gig Ram with Windows Vista (not much, but it's all I can afford right now).
I used it until now both for work and for composing and arranging music.
Now that I can dedicate it to music only, I'm wondering if it's better to stay with Vista or downgrade to XP (audio optimized) so to have (a little) more resources available.
On the other hand, since XP isn't supported anymore, I fear that in the near future i can't find drivers and other software updates...

Upgrading to Win7 isn't an option since I don't want to spend other money (I already own both a copy of Vista and XP)

Another option would be to tweak and optimize Vista: I done it a lot of time for XP and Iìm pretty sure that with your help I can try with Vista too ;-)

What do you recommend?

Some context informations:
I'm running Reaper mostly with SampleTank 2, some other VSTi (Synth1, VB3, etc), some loops, many of the JS plugins. I have a Alesis IO2 soundcard and a Beheringer BCR2000 that I use as controller (Klikle plugin) and as MIDI interface for the master keyboard.
I don't do any recording, just composition and arranging "in the box" of songs and backround music for our amateur theater company (we perform our own Musicals and Comedy).
garubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
micron

I still have a 2007 asus laptop that was sold with vista installed and then i've been forced to downgrade to xp because of the typical vista slowness and it worked fine for audio.
Xp is good if all of your hardware and software is compatible with it and also a win7 upgrade is a good option.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
SaulT

After spending two years wrestling with Vista I was never happier to leave it behind. I did everything I could with it - fresh install, disabled every service that I didn't absolutely need, turned off system defrag, regularly used registry cleaners and defrag (CCleaner and Defraggler, FTW), tried to keep it as slim and trim as possible... and it still seemed content to just lag and struggle. Also a Toshiba Satellite, although TBH I don't remember what the specs were. I want to say 2 Gig RAM and 2 Mhz processor, no idea if it was dual-core or not. I would have stabbed someone for the chance to downgrade to XP.

I installed Linux on it for experimentation purposes and it's actually comparatively quite decent now, but I suppose that's for another forum...
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
whiteaxxxe
Banned

well, the best with Vista was the soundtrack, done by Robert Fripp. and that is sad thing, when talking about an OS.

before I switches to Win7 2 years ago, I had XP, and that was stable. so XP is oldand you cant get any more copy from Microsoft, I would recommend Win7, or, after what I heard, Win8.1. and I never tried Vista, because I didnt need to, some of my friends had it. not for long, for good reasons.

but never Vista ... although the soundtrack was done by Robert Fripp. I said that before? well ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
SamuelC

Well right now as it stands Windows 8.1 is a no go for Video and Audio.

It is very good with Graphics ( not many application issues)

However for Video Editing it's a dead duck, too many issues from codecs not working to Sony vegas Pro 13, 12 and even 10 crashing here and there,

For Audio too many issues.

So XP 32 bit for folks with older machines and do not want to mess up a good thing ( aka me) and Windows 7 64 bit for Video and Graphics..

XP and Windows 7 64 bit

I am running Windows 10 and I will say yes I will going to it. So much less issues.

Last edited by SamuelC; 11-10-2014 at 01:44 PM.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Viente

Never had problems with Win 8.1 in heavy usage of After Effects, Premiere Pro and REAPER
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
SamuelC

No problems with Pro Res codecs in Windows 7, No Problems with Premiere Pro in Windows 7.

Windows 8 has way too many issues, even Dot Net 3.5 is not built in. Who ever deciced to pull that decision had a massive brain fart.

Most of the video and compositing apps need Dot Net 3.5 at least, so you end up going in circles trying to install it ( if Windows 8 let's you LOL)

It was so bad that many people started doing a custom hack install for DO NOT 3.5 to finally get Applications that require DOT NET 3.5 to work properly

A list of what my friends found bad about Windows 8.1

Vegas Pro 10,11,13 ( Hilarious 12 no issues LOL)
Fusion 6, Fusion 7
Nucoda
The Foundry Nuke v6, v7, v8 an even the new one version 9
Lightwave 10,11 +
Maya 2011+
3D Max 2011+
Mocha Pro 3,4
Autocad 2011+
Miraizon ProRes/DNXhd codecs
Bojou
Keyshot 4 and 5
The Foundry Mari 2
Avid Media Composer 8

Not many issues for Audio Apps since those Audio apps always install what they need, so they always have less issues.

It's not like heavy graphics and video apps that require libraries already installed.

That is a list of CRITICAL Video and Compositing Applications that have problems in Windows 8.1

That is why Windows 7 64 bit is the recommended OS those Applications

Last edited by SamuelC; 11-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
garubi

Thank you for all your suggestions.
As I said the only two options I have now are Vista (already installed) and Xp.
I don't love Vista at all, but until now never had problems using it even in my mixed environment: work and music.
so I would downgrade to Xp only if I gain resources.

I could consider even to buy win7, but I can't believe that it needs less resources than Vista or Xp. Is really so much light on ram and CPU?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
bluzkat

I don't think Windows 7 would be any good on that laptop unless you could add more RAM.

I think in your situation... I would install XP and never look back, Vista was always a PITA.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
garubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I don't think Windows 7 would be any good on that laptop unless you could add more RAM.

I think in your situation... I would install XP and never look back, Vista was always a PITA.

Good luck.

Well, it's decided!
I'm waiting for the new laptop to arrive, then I wipe everything and install XP.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Stefano
Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelC View Post
Well right now as it stands Windows 8.1 is a no go for Video and Audio.

It is very good with Graphics ( not many application issues)

However for Video Editing it's a dead duck, too many issues from codecs not working to Sony vegas Pro 13, 12 and even 10 crashing here and there,

For Audio too many issues.

So XP 32 bit for folks with older machines and do not want to mess up a good thing ( aka me) and Windows 7 64 bit for Video and Graphics..

XP and Windows 7 64 bit

I am running Windows 10 and I will say yes I will going to it. So much less issues.
Sony vegas pro is just a buggy nightmare at times and has nothing to do with windows 8.1

do you have any actual sources for why windows 8.1 is terrible for audio/video? I've been using it professionally since it was available without any issues (except for my hard drive dying initially when I installed it)

the one issue I have is with the gopro app which won't convert on windows 8 for some reason - but that appears to be a problem with the manufacturer supporting it.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Jae.Thomas

anyway, this wasn't about windows 8 - for this pc I would suggest XP.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
SamuelC

This is why Windows 10 is going back to Windows 7 for it's system internals.

I have Windows 10 running here no issues with any Video editing Aplication, no issues with any Audio applications either.

The issue with codecs is not just a Vegas issue, Edius, The Foundry Nuke, Eyeon Fusion you name it they are all having issues with Windows 8 and 8.1.

Surprise no issues on Windows 10, since they went back to Windows 7 and put the system exactly working like Windows 7, no more issues.

Windows 7 is still the recommend OS for any Big Graphics or Video Suites.

So far Windows 10 is on the right track and no doubt I will be installing it on my Daw Laptop and Desktop once it is done.

No more issues!!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Jae.Thomas

which "internals" ???
Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
ivansc

He is obviously using the OTHER Win 8.1, Jason.
Ours is the good one that runs even better than win7.

ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #16
Jae.Thomas

im still wondering which system "internals" have changed going from win7 to win8
Old 11-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
SamuelC

Quicktime Issues with the Prores codecs were a problem in Windows 8

Graphics card issues with drivers ( due to the extremely secure driver installs) are now no longer and issue, this was problematic on 2+ gig video cards from Nvidia ( hence why the Big graphics application users avoided windows 8 like a plague)

Video editing is now much smoother, specially on SSD drives, full proper trim support now.

Back to Video editing again, there are now no more codec issues ( Miraizon Pro Res/ DNXHD codecs for example)

Basically for Audio I do not think there is that many issues in Windows 8.1 ( Current OS here)

However for heavy Video Editing, 3D Graphics / Rendering Windows 8 is really bad. Windows 8.1 improved the OS but still many issues and bugs.

Internals I mean no need to set applications to Compatability modes like we have to in Windows 8.1

Do not forget the stupid idiot who decided to disable DO NET 3.5 in Windows 8 and 8.1. Christ it's only 90% of the Professional Apps that need 3.5!!!

Some things in Windows 8 were just moronic is all I can say.

Why on earth would you want to Disable Dot Net 3.5 which is a critical component that many Video, Graphics and even Audio applications need!!!

And then good luck trying to install Dot Net 3.5, it was so bad that many people had to resort to making a hacked+ wim installer version in order to get it to install in Windows 8.

Trying to install it the way Microsoft says LOL that is a laugh, fails every time. Google it and have a good laugh.

Let's hope Microsoft is not dumb enough to keep disabling critical components.

Windows 10 is the right path, it is what Windows 8 should of been. A better Windows 7 version and certaintly not this tablet crap Gui.

After all I still have a desktop, so I need a Desktop OS and not a Tablet OS.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Internals I mean no need to set applications to Compatability modes like we have to in Windows 8.1

Do not forget the stupid idiot who decided to disable DO NET 3.5 in Windows 8 and 8.1. Christ it's only 90% of the Professional Apps that need 3.5!!!
this seems like the only thing here -

which applications need to be set to compatibility modes?

dot net 3.5 wont work in 8? I will have to check that out.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
Jae.Thomas

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.110%29.aspx

???

is it "disabled" or "not enabled by default" ?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
Jae.Thomas

and what proof do you have that windows 10 will improve upon this?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #21
ivansc

Like I said, he is operating in some parallel universe, where my two Win8.1 systems are incapable of running large multi-instrument sessions with multiple vstis at 32 buffers....
No dropouts pops or crackles.... what am I doing wrong?

P.S. My daughter is running 8.0 for all her video editing and experiencing no issues.
Mind you she is "only" editing for Youtube and Vimeo vids. One of the channels she works on is getting hits up in the millions though. Perhaps that doesnt count as professional use?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote