Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default and a question about custom actions: limit?

is there a limit as to how many actions/custom actions can be combined to make a new one? i'm having an issue in which a custom action with close to thirty individual actions are combined into a new custom action. problem is, it won't save. it only saves the actions up to a certain point. i can rebuild it each time i open reaper but it's not saving all of the sub-actions.

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
is there a limit as to how many actions/custom actions can be combined to make a new one?
Never noticed a limit myself, but then again, haven't made a custom action which is calling another one with dozens of actions in there. Maybe there is a set limit, devs would know that.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
babag

been playing with this. i do seem to be able to edit the action by deleting sub-actions, making the overall custom action smaller. that works.

the custom action seems to have a total of 24 actions and scripts plus 10 custom actions. that makes a total of 34. each of the sub-custom-actions has 9 actions in it. that's 90 custom actions plus the 24 straight actions/scripts. total = 114.

not sure if custom actions that are included in a new custom action are regarded as a single unit or as the total of their parts. in this case, each would be either 1 or 9 making the total either 34 or 114.

off now to examine other custom actions i have to see if they might have limits like this.

thanks,
babag
Old 10-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
babag

further info: i split the large custom action into two, roughly equal, parts. then i made a new custom action comprised of just these two parts. that's just two entries in the new custom action. folded in to those two actions are all 114 or so sub actions. this seems to save and run just fine. that would imply that there is, at least in the current iteration of reaper (v5.984), a limitation of about 114 entries. can anyone confirm?

thanks,
babag
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
that would imply that there is, at least in the current iteration of reaper (v5.984), a limitation of about 114 entries. can anyone confirm?
I had time and nerves to go up to 120 actions in a single custom action and it still worked fine. I did this by simply rotating two actions (nudge & move cursor), to be able to verify the correct working and giving some visual aid while going through the list.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
babag

hmmm. on linux here. don't know how that could affect things.