Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
COBI
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper injecting false keyswitch notes into Play tracks

For the past two point-releases, I have noticed a bug that was never there before. I am using SoundsOnline's PLAY VSTi (5) to control several tracks in Reaper. Each track controls a different SoundsOnline instrument, with the particulars for each instrument being controlled by "keyswitches" to provide the nuances and techniques. (I trust you have someone familiar with the use of Reaper with PLAY, yes? At least, I've seen quite a few posts that deal with various combinations and issues between the two applications...) These keyswitches are produced by note settings that are outside the range of the particular instrument, usually C1.

That has always worked very nicely in previous releases. But now there is a problem. To reproduce:
  1. Create a couple markers.
  2. For an instrument in PLAY, set the instrument keyswitch to C1 (or another valid keyswitch value).
  3. Using either the mouse cursor or a key combo, move the play cursor to a different location on the progress bar, perhaps going back and forth between the two markers (Ctrl + →) or (Ctrl + ←).
  4. Go to the PLAY display and notice that the keyswitch has moved to a different note. This is usually from C1 to A1, but sometimes it jumps to C2. This inevitably leads to dropouts while working on the part.

NOTE that this is very inconsistent. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't happen with some instruments at all, and it does happen consistently with other instruments. I've never been able to figure out exactly why. But it is REALLY annoying, because it makes me feel that I have to reset the keyswitches for each instrument every time the instrument makes an entrance, to make sure I will get consistent playback without dropouts.

Can someone explain why this is happening and why? Better yet, can you fix it?