Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #41
deeb
Human being with feelings

this does not apply only to envelopes, does any of you find extremely complex to sequence with single hits too? i find very boring to sequence stuff with single audio hits too or loops if something is not on the strong beat, just like as it happens with envelopes and share a big main reason: the timming of the blocks must be kept by us, which is something that probably get's repeated hundreds of times during the arrangement / production and it might get really cirurgical and get's really difficult to manage specially when the project progresses and starts to get longer.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #42
Sound asleep

I thought this was what regions were for? Do they not do the job properly?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I thought this was what regions were for? Do they not do the job properly?
That's only left to right selection, not top to bottom and left to right.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #44
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's only left to right selection, not top to bottom and left to right.
I see, gotcha.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #45
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
this does not apply only to envelopes, does any of you find extremely complex to sequence with single hits too? i find very boring to sequence stuff with single audio hits too or loops if something is not on the strong beat, just like as it happens with envelopes and share a big main reason: the timming of the blocks must be kept by us, which is something that probably get's repeated hundreds of times during the arrangement / production and it might get really cirurgical and get's really difficult to manage specially when the project progresses and starts to get longer.
This barely works for my needs, but look at the Smart Copy/Paste actions. If you copy in a time-selection, it'll keep the relative location of the items even if they don't start at the beginning of the bar. Still doesn't work for automation lanes without items though...

...but this is my point, there's so many 'almost' Area Selection/Paste things already in Reaper, it just needs to be finished hehe.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #46
deeb

Thanks. I have all Actions needed .. its been an hobbie to find Them. I have a diferentes copy paste for every situation but literally every time i have To use tem i close my eyes and think What a mess.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #47
AugerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
ABLETON:

Result: Exact duplication of selection

REAPER:

Result:
1. Track-2 volume automation chopped at edge of item. Bye-bye reverb/delay tail.
2. Track-3 volume automation broken up into pieces. Bye-bye reverb/delay tail.
3. Track-4 automation not even copied because there are no items.

...now throw Automation Items into this mess.

This is just the tiniest example of just how flawed the current duplication is in Reaper Again, Reaper destroys Ableton in a million other ways, but this is Such core functionality that is going to drive the new crop away immediately.

I just want Reaper to be the best it can be!!! This would get it 99% of the way there.
Hi. Which action did you use in REAPER in this example?
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #48
heda

In version 5.50 you will be able to convert automation to automation items in that time selection and then it will be copied correctly. I know it is not area selection but it has more advantages like pooled automation copies
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #49
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
Hi. Which action did you use in REAPER in this example?
Hi AugerJ, it's the Smart Copy / Paste actions. Smart Copy will copy the relative positions of the items in the time selection, so if you have items that don't start on the beat it will paste them in the same way instead of at the cursor. It's the closest thing we have right now.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #50
AugerJ

Quote:
Hi AugerJ, it's the Smart Copy / Paste actions. Smart Copy will copy the relative positions of the items in the time selection, so if you have items that don't start on the beat it will paste them in the same way instead of at the cursor. It's the closest thing we have right now.
I used this one:
Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy)
(it says 'smart copy' as well).

Options/Preferences...
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #51
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
In version 5.50 you will be able to convert automation to automation items in that time selection and then it will be copied correctly. I
thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I know it is not area selection but it has more advantages like pooled automation copies
they are ment for different purposes, so they are not really comparable. If i had to compare, then imo, i would say the pool thing isn't particularly extraordinary compared to what area selection offers: 1st)quickness, 2) not being concerned with where the first item lands even in long projects, 3) benefit audio editing or automation editing. 4) i can save track preset if i want to "pool" it.

So almost making Automation Items redundant.

The most used "pool" is in what's already in the project and we can hear and duplicate. Probably typically i might go to the pool to pick a new automation, will be concerned to where to put it (because of the timmings), after, i duplicate from the project again, and again being concerned with the timings and zoom and unzoom and set locator where to paste and remember the shortcut for this specific purpose or go to toolbar ... paste then blablabla, then verify, now do the same for every track you have to deal ... WHAT! it should be drag and drop or hitting CMD + V independently of what it is: audio, envelope or Automation Items and number of tracks.

Any way i am really curiouse about Automation items and hope it's really useful for many but would be nice if it does not obfuscate the need of area selection, since this is a workflow improvement for both: items and envelopes and in 5.5 automation items too.

Last edited by deeb; 06-21-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #52
ferropop

Quote:
thanks for the heads up!

3) benefit audio editing or automation editing. 4) i can save track preset if i want to "pool" it.

So almost making Automation Items redundant.

The most used "pool" is in what's already in the project and we can hear and duplicate...

Hey deeb we seem to agree on everything, but I don't think it would make AI redundant. Pooling is important because it lets you change one AI and it'll change the pooled copies along with it. Imagine you're using AI to draw a ducking volume effect for your bassline (EDM). Just draw it once, loop it across the whole bassline, and you can sit there and tweak one AI until it sounds perfect, and they will all change together.

And this just gave me an idea for a "hackish" area selection. If someone (or the devs lol) were to script duplication in a way that it would capture all the automation in an 'invisible' AI for the tracks you select, then they'd duplicate in a similar way to proper Area Selection. Just remove the invisible AI after the paste, and everything would be duplicated properly.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #53
deeb

Quote:
Hey deeb we seem to agree on everything, but I don't think it would make AI redundant. Pooling is important because it lets you change one AI and it'll change the pooled copies along with it. Imagine you're using AI to draw a ducking volume effect for your bassline (EDM). Just draw it once, loop it across the whole bassline, and you can sit there and tweak one AI until it sounds perfect, and they will all change together.
yehh and i see the benefit, altho, in my experience, with area selection, you can duplicate in most scenearios in 5 seconds. because usually it's just need to: select region and click CMD + D (duplicate) lot's of times (not the same but does not hurt that much and does the job pretty fast)

Quote:
And this just gave me an idea for a "hackish" area selection. If someone (or the devs lol) were to script duplication in a way that it would capture all the automation in an 'invisible' AI for the tracks you select, then they'd duplicate in a similar way to proper Area Selection. Just remove the invisible AI after the paste, and everything would be duplicated properly.
yes sounds alright and scriptable but something tells me i prefer a core version same key (CMD + V) for every Paste.
I still didn't try the beta (which i should but don't want to risk for now, many hours of configurations done, without reading about how to properly doing it safe.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #54
ferropop

Quote:
I still didn't try the beta (which i should but don't want to risk for now, many hours of configurations done, without reading about how to properly doing it safe.
Install the beta as Portable! (but make sure haha). You can install it to it's own folder, it won't overwrite any of your configurations. Maybe do a backup of your config first? But I've run betas this way for years, it works great.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #55
deeb

thanks man! i took in consideration what you said, but still no time and i want to make music now
Old 10-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #56
deeb

Quote:
hello ferropop !How is this idea going? what are your thoughts about AI and Range Selection?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #57
ferropop

Quote:
hello ferropop !How is this idea going? what are your thoughts about AI and Range Selection?
I think it's the most important thing they could do right now, as it's a glaring deficiency. If I'm being honest, I'm completely blown away that after 10 years of development Copy and Paste are anything less than perfect, let alone completely broken