Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #41
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FngrStck View Post
Ok. I had the hardware backwards. I dunno why the screenshot looks like that but it'll show you what you need
Would you mind telling me again which interface you are using for the control surface part ? M-audio or digi m-box ?

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #42
FngrStck

I have my m-audio as my asio driver and my midi is connected through my mbox.
FngrStck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #43
PeeWee

Setup:
Roland VS 2480
EGOSYS (ESI) Audioterminal 010 (digital soundcard, with RBUS)
Qaudcore PC with Win XP SP3, 3 GB)
In the Reaper project all 64 Channels are at 0db.

My VS 2480 only works correct, when it is set to control surface mode BEFORE Reaper starts up.
If I start Reaper first, or leave the CS mode in a runnig session to do something in the VS - for example EZ Routing settings - the Faders don't go up, only a few. These are #16 in Bank 2 ( =Channel 32), #16 in Bank 3 ( =Channel 48) and sometimes (!) #16 in Bank 4 ( =Channel 64). And these three faders do not move immediately, but only when I press the bank buttons.

Another problem is, Reaper doesn't want open the RBUS MIDI. It says "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: 2-AT010 RBUS-Midi" and in the same window "The following MIDI outputs could not be opened: 2-AT010 RBUS-Midi".
But after hitting "OK" it works like described above.
When I start Reaper first, then start CS mode, and only the three faders move, and go THEN to "preferences -> Control Surface" and open the "edit" site of the CS plugin, take the "RBUS Midi" from the midi pulldown menues, suddenly all faders move up!

Herzliche Grüße from Germany, Peter
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #44
FngrStck

Yea PeeWee I experience that too. I'll work it's self out through bug fixes eventually. I think if you keep all faders off of infinite throughout the banks, it'll work a little better for ya.
Also yhertogh is experiencing something similar to that as well with r-bus midi with the v-fire. IMHO the v-fire blows with it's driver support. I would recommend trying another midi interface that isn't with the asio driver you use in reaper. For instance I use my mbox midi and m-audio handles the asio. People have synced reaper to the vs through rbus and its been real buggy for some of them.

Last edited by FngrStck; 08-28-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #45
PeeWee

Ok ... this EGOSYS soundcard has an additional midi port (not that RBUS one), maybe that works. If not, I will buy another one. You can't have enough MIDI ports ... ;-)

Thanks for the first idea. Has anyone another? Could I have wrong settings in the VS menues - "project" or "global" or "..."? The Control Surface settings are set well, it's not so difficult to handle them ...

Thanks for your ideas

Peter

Last edited by PeeWee; 08-29-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #46
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Setup:
Roland VS 2480
EGOSYS (ESI) Audioterminal 010 (digital soundcard, with RBUS)
Qaudcore PC with Win XP SP3, 3 GB)
In the Reaper project all 64 Channels are at 0db.

My VS 2480 only works correct, when it is set to control surface mode BEFORE Reaper starts up.
If I start Reaper first, or leave the CS mode in a runnig session to do something in the VS - for example EZ Routing settings - the Faders don't go up, only a few. These are #16 in Bank 2 ( =Channel 32), #16 in Bank 3 ( =Channel 48) and sometimes (!) #16 in Bank 4 ( =Channel 64). And these three faders do not move immediately, but only when I press the bank buttons.

Another problem is, Reaper doesn't want open the RBUS MIDI. It says "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: 2-AT010 RBUS-Midi" and in the same window "The following MIDI outputs could not be opened: 2-AT010 RBUS-Midi".
But after hitting "OK" it works like described above.
When I start Reaper first, then start CS mode, and only the three faders move, and go THEN to "preferences -> Control Surface" and open the "edit" site of the CS plugin, take the "RBUS Midi" from the midi pulldown menues, suddenly all faders move up!

Herzliche Grüße from Germany, Peter
Peter,

Are you experiencing this with the most recent build i provided? I thought i fixed the banking issues with it. Also everything seems to working ok on my side as far as banking is concerned, and it also works regardless if i start the CS mode first or start reaper first. I might have to hit the bank1 button one or two times to kick it to life but after that it's ok. I use RBUS midi too, with no issues (except that i can t seem to configure the rbus midi as a normal midi device for actions, but that seems to be a limitation of the v-fire or the rbus midi implementation). Make sure your DISABLE your rbus midi in preferences/devices/midi!

Also try the following: leave bank 4 empty i.e. dont create tracks 49-64 in reaper. If you see something weird go to bank 4 (all leds and faders should reset) and then go back. Let me know if that helps in any way.

Yves
Old 08-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #47
yhertogh

Quote:
Yea PeeWee I experience that too. I'll work it's self out through bug fixes eventually. I think if you keep all faders off of infinite throughout the banks, it'll work a little better for ya.
Also yhertogh is experiencing something similar to that as well with r-bus midi with the v-fire. IMHO the v-fire blows with it's driver support. I would recommend trying another midi interface that isn't with the asio driver you use in reaper. For instance I use my mbox midi and m-audio handles the asio. People have synced reaper to the vs through rbus and its been real buggy for some of them.
??? I thought my last build (and your special build) had fixed the fader to infinity problem ?

Yves
Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #48
PeeWee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
Yves
Yes, it's the new version. I'll try out your ideas, but i'm not in the studio until monday, I let you know the results here.

I must DEactivate the midi? Is midi no longer necessary for this CS solution?

Peter
Old 08-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #49
FngrStck

I was having the faders jump around again when bank switching. I was tried both the newest version and the special version. I try it again though and let you know. May be my side.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #50
yhertogh

Quote:
I was having the faders jump around again when bank switching. I was tried both the newest version and the special version. I try it again though and let you know. May be my side.

make sure you remove all previous plug-ins from the reaper/plugins directory.
The special plugin has a different name compared to the regular one. Make sure you select the correct one, I called yours the FngrStck Special.

Yves
Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #51
yhertogh

Quote:
Yes, it's the new version. I'll try out your ideas, but i'm not in the studio until monday, I let you know the results here.

I must DEactivate the midi? Is midi no longer necessary for this CS solution?

Peter
Yes. I have noticed with rbus midi that you need to disable the rbus midi in and out in the preferences/devices/midi menu. Set them to disabled. Then go to preferences/control surfaces , select the vs2480 and the rbus midi in and out.

Yves
Old 09-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #52
PeeWee

My test project now (a simple Band Promo/Demo CD) has 5 channels + 1 bus-channel in use. The other channels of bank 1 (ch 6-16) I pulled down to -inf. The remaining 48 channels are at 0db, only the 2nd fader in bank 2, the 3rd fader at bank 3, and the 4th fader at bank 4 I set to -6db to take a look if something happens when I switch the banks around. The Midi settings are set as you describe above.

All functions work now.

If the failure came through the fader positions or the Midi settings, I can test today. I'll report here.

cu, Peter
Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #53
FngrStck

So i've been using the "special" control surface over the last few days. I notice the faders are erratic for only the first few bank switches if I switch rather quickly. If I switch at a reasonable speed, it works just fine. It very well maybe due to my aging faders though. I have programmed markers, track maximizes and zooms in extra buttons. I have tape to remember what they are as for some reason Roland made the programmable buttons scattered around. All in all absolutely awesome. I rescaled the screen so 32 tracks are visable through two monitors. Thanks very much again. No complaints. Michael
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #54
yhertogh

Default NEW revision with Markers,rec-arm,select, sends/receives and other goodies!

See the first post of this thread for more info!

Yves
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #55
PeeWee

There are a lot of great ideas, you implemented in this release! Them and the other for the future planned ones will rise our good old VS machine to a full grown up pro-cs. I'm pretty exited and can't wait to test it out!

Peter
Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #56
PeeWee

Yo! Just made a first test. It works fine, and it looks like my fader probs (described above) are away?!?

The Channel Edit buttons doesn't work. I think you have to tell us the CC's for it.

Undo/Redo at the Scrub button: Maybe it could be more senseful at the original VS - Undo/Redo button at the upper right side (north-east from the zoom buttons)?

Thank you for this great stuff.

Peter
Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #57
yhertogh

Quote:
Yo! Just made a first test. It works fine, and it looks like my fader probs (described above) are away?!?
yep, if also done some optimizing of my code (almost did a rewrite). Good stuff isnt it ;-)

Quote:
The Channel Edit buttons doesn't work. I think you have to tell us the CC's for it.
(imagine the sound of a hand slapping a forehead): duh! I forgot to document this. The CH.EDIT buttons send and reply to CC41-56. I;ve updated the first post of this thread to reflect that. Thanks for catching that.

Quote:
Undo/Redo at the Scrub button: Maybe it could be more senseful at the original VS - Undo/Redo button at the upper right side (north-east from the zoom buttons)?
The Roland dudes thought it was a good idea to NOT have the undo button be assigned a CC. So I had to find another button. The scrub one was the best i could find. If you dont like it, you can move CC107 to another button

Quote:
Thank you for this great stuff.

Peter
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #58
cjogo

Looks awfully buggy still ..... think maybe we should wait for the next stages of "fixes" before we switch our studios to Reaper / VS setup ---- ANALOGUE was heavenly for the 60-80's for me ~!
cjogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #59
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Looks awfully buggy still ..... think maybe we should wait for the next stages of "fixes" before we switch our studios to Reaper / VS setup ---- ANALOGUE was heavenly for the 60-80's for me ~!
Would you care to elaborate ? I cant fix things with such a description.
Afaik everything works as expected in this version.

Yves
Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #60
PeeWee

Quote:
Looks awfully buggy still .....
No, all functions work fine now here.

I don't know, if someone wants you to switch to Reaper/VS. I think it's more for someone like me, who owns a aged VS and has now the chance to combine it with Reaper to a more up-to-date system with a good controller.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #61
yhertogh

Default Documentation Bug

noticed a little documentation bug in my first post. For receive mode you should use -1 as a value for "SEND_MODE".

Yves
Old 10-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #62
cjogo

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate ? I cant fix things with such a description.
Afaik everything works as expected in this version.

Yves

Hey Yves excuse-moi --- guess there is the architecture of writing the software and others are having some problems implementing --- and the the terminology used " The CH.EDIT buttons send and reply to CC41-56" "For receive mode you should use -1 as a value for "SEND_MODE"." > is way over my techie head -> we don't even have a computer in any of our studios - so I call them bugs :-) .....
Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #63
yhertogh

Quote:
Hey Yves excuse-moi --- guess there is the architecture of writing the software and others are having some problems implementing --- and the the terminology used " The CH.EDIT buttons send and reply to CC41-56" "For receive mode you should use -1 as a value for "SEND_MODE"." > is way over my techie head -> we don't even have a computer in any of our studios - so I call them bugs :-) .....
I'm not sure what to say here in all fairness. It sounds like you have to do some soul searching first and convince yourself you are ready for allowing a PC in your studio. Please come back as soon as you have made that decision and we'll sort things out. The idea of my control surface code was to make sure the PC becomes invisible in the studio. Any ideas that you might have are welcomed!

Hopefully see you soon

Yves
Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #64
yhertogh

Default Again Updated

this time with an aitomation mode, a better send/receive mode, and FX parameter control.

Yves
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #65
PeeWee

Quote:
Originally Posted by conshirslo View Post
But Can you give some more sample questions and answers
Forget it, all these problems are solved! Be shure you downloaded and installed the latest version of the plug in.

Best regards, Peter
Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #66
PeeWee

Quote:
New since 20 oct 2009
Phrase/Region/automix:CC94
Automix:CC94
are these two knobs really working with the same cc's? can't test it now, laying in bed with a bad cold.

the shift action is a much better solution for send/receive switching, cool.

and the "screenset_action" lines in the ini file, are they for what I think they are? does the reaper arrangerscreen or/and mixerscreen now switch to channels 17-32 when I press bank 2 at the VS?

HEEEY! Could anyone bring me a computer and a VS to my bedroom? I have to work!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #67
yhertogh

Quote:
are these two knobs really working with the same cc's? can't test it now, laying in bed with a bad cold.

the shift action is a much better solution for send/receive switching, cool.

and the "screenset_action" lines in the ini file, are they for what I think they are? does the reaper arrangerscreen or/and mixerscreen now switch to channels 17-32 when I press bank 2 at the VS?

HEEEY! Could anyone bring me a computer and a VS to my bedroom? I have to work!
damn, another documentation bug ;-) I edited the post to reflect the correct CC's.

About the screensets: the name is somewhat misleading. You can call whatever action upon banking by filling in the actionnumbers and by toggling callscreensets to 1 in the INI file. The default actions are set to screenset 7-10, so if you can built yourself a screenset that shows the appropriate track you are in business.

However as of Reaper 3.13, the MCP and TCP now autoscrolls to the selected track, so I dont think i will be using this functionality. In all fairness i had some issues with getting screensets to work in the first place, but that might have been user error.

Get well soon!

Yves
Old 10-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #68
yhertogh

Quote:
Forget it, all these problems are solved! Be shure you downloaded and installed the latest version of the plug in.

Best regards, Peter
I think you just replied to a spambot ;-)

Yves
Old 10-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #69
PeeWee

Quote:
I think you just replied to a spambot ;-)

Yves
Grrrrr ...!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #70
cjogo

How many tracks at mixdown >>through the faders of the VS ?? Only 16 ??
Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #71
yhertogh

Quote:
How many tracks at mixdown >>through the faders of the VS ?? Only 16 ??

64 tracks, in 4 banks of 16. All the features are clearly laid out in Post 1 of this thread

Yves
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #72
cjogo

Merci for clearing that up ~! I was under the impression that the ROland RBUS could only allow 16 channels -- getting closer to setting up the Reaper/VS ~!

Last edited by cjogo; 10-26-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #73
yhertogh

Quote:
Merci for clearing that up ~! I was under the impression that the ROland RBUS could only allow 16 channels -- getting closer to setting up the Reaper/VS ~!
There might be some confusion here. The audio between a VS and a PC is indeed limited to 16 tracks (by using a V-fire or similar). My control surface code allows you to use the VS as a pure midi controller to control 64 REAPER tracks.

Maybe a couple of words on my setup: I've set up my VS to no longer use RDAC. This limits to 16 44.1 tracks, but is plenty for live band recording use in my case. For some projects i record inside the VS still, and then move over the tracks via making a backup to a rewritable CD, and then use VSWaveExport to get them into wav files, which i then import into Reaper. From that moment on, and on 'solo' projects, I typically track one track at a time (overdubs and stuff) and for that i bypass the VS recording wise but still use the audio path i.e. pre-amp-->VS-->RBUS-->Vfire-->PC w. Reaper. In this mode i use the VS purely as a control surface and as a big patch panel.

Hope this helps

Yves
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #74
cjogo

Not intending to record in the VS >> at all -- just use as the controller .\

Merci -- Hope I can figure out all the "set-up?" Never had a computer in the studio <<<
Old 10-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #75
PeeWee

... hope you EVER had a computer and worked advanced with it (more like surf youtube and write some letters in msword or msworks or play some minesweeper rounds) - if not, it's REALLY difficult

try to set up your recording system as thin as possible. look for example here in the forum for a thinned xp setup, that may help. be aware of installing network and internet stuff and other slow down features at this system, so you also don't need some "zonealarm" or virus checker software or other system brakes.

try to use one system only for recording.

best wishes good luck und gute nacht, peter
Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #76
cjogo

Danke Peter ---

I have several PC's in the office /home --- mainly just Photoshop /and video editing -- and the usual surfing.
..sure would be nice to have some one set the Reaper/VS up in studio > but, if it takes a few months & we have this wonderful forum to reference to ~!! ( & I don't get frustrated) :: then we will finally have a current computer/technology > in the studio.

tschuss,

C Jo Go

Last edited by cjogo; 10-27-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #77
PeeWee

Ok, get started! We can help you from here. I think it isn't off topic and we don't need a new threat, do we? We will set up a VS / PC combination, with this plug in for realising a control surface. I think you already have got a PC with an installed Reaper version and a VS? Next you need a R-BUS connection. Or wait, MIDI connection works too, doesn't it?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #78
yhertogh

Quote:
Ok, get started! We can help you from here. I think it isn't off topic and we don't need a new threat, do we? We will set up a VS / PC combination, with this plug in for realising a control surface. I think you already have got a PC with an installed Reaper version and a VS? Next you need a R-BUS connection. Or wait, MIDI connection works too, doesn't it?
A new thread might be appropriate, as other people might not be reading this one. It has also grown massively over time. I do want to mention that the VS is a pretty good 16 channel interface if you happen to get the V-fire to work though (limited to XP 32 bit and you need be a little lucky with your firewire interface). Also i still like to use the VS to record multichannel stuff (more than 2). In this way i dont have to worry about computers and stuff, just make sure you select the non-rdac 44.1/24 bit option. Track per track stuff, and mixing i use Reaper for, with the VS as a midi controller, AND as a patchpanel for my outboard gear i like to use (using ReaInsert) and as a big direct monitoring station.

I also plan on coding another plugin for reaper that would allow to re-use the meter-bridge, but those are plans for the future.

Yves
Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #79
bob

Default cannot get it to9 work

followed the instructions.No joy.

the vs 2480 is connected to PC with the V-Fire.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #80
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
followed the instructions.No joy.

the vs 2480 is connected to PC with the V-Fire.
A little more information would help. Can the v-fire handle audio ok? Do you see the V-fire as a valid midi input/output in Reaper ? Make sure it is disabled in preferences/devices/midi. Also can you see the VS2480 as a valid control surface option?

Yves