COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 07-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Warren
Human being with feelings

Default Strange Problem

I enjoyed a nice jam, earlier this evening. That's not the strange problem. The problem is, when I try to connect, well I actually do connect, I get this noise that I hear and everyone else who's connected hears and it's very disturbing. I can hear the metronome and some instruments, but over that, there's this EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound. I've uninstalled/reinstalled twice and it's still there. Any suggestions? I can play mp3s and everything else fine on this PC. I didn't change any settings at all, during all of the un/reinstallations. I don't want to try connecting again, until this problem is resolved. Again, sorry guys for that sound...
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
openjaf

Default Audio Configuration

Warren,

You are getting a feedback signal through your windows sound device setup. Open the volume control properties for recording and select record from microphone. When using your sound card you are mapping the audio through the windows audio device's wave out. At the same time it is trying to record from the direct waveout for use in ninjam instead of the microphone. Creating this instant feedback sound.

You may want to invest in some type of outboard no latency audio DAC via firewire or usb. Then you could map ninjam and any other recording program through the extra device, while mapping windows through the standard sound device you may be using now. This would eliminate the windows sound effects while jamming aloud. And give a better quality lower noise audio signal for the JamFarm archives.

Hopefully this works.
-Jim.
openjaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
Warren

Thanks, Jim. You're instructions in the first paragraph seemed to have corrected the problem. I don't understand how the problem occured in the first place. I had a trouble free session on my very first connection and had changed nothing.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Warren

Actually, the whole problem was with the recording device. It was set to the stupid webcam, rather than the mic.....