Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #41
nicholas
Scribe

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your time and trouble and I am happy to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisnv View Post
In my many years of experience as a technical writer (engineering manuals) I found that any feedback I got from users had the potential to improve my work
So, I can assure you do I, as many forum members can testify. I have in this thread and often elsewhere said that I welcome and actively encourage feedback from users, for the reasons you state. We have a much better product as a result of a considerable amount of such feedback over the years, from both experienced and inexperienced users.

Quote:
in my experience, if someone reported a problem with one of my manuals, tactfully or not, it was certain that the problem extended to a larger group of others who weren't reporting on it for one reason or another.
In this case I formed the opinion that the OP was simply seeking to provoke a response rather than raising a genuine cconcern. I stand by that opinion, strengthened by the observation that the OP completely ignored several posts which were clearly intended to help her/him (I suspect "him"), preferring instead to maintain a continuing stream of invective. That would certainly explain why in 12 years, despite this being an absolutely essential topic that every single user will need to understand virtually from day 1, to the best of my knowledge no-one else has ever reported any issue even remotely similar. I seriously doubt therefore that the "larger group of others" you allude to actually exists.

That said, I would welcome any constructive suggestion you may have as to how the issue of naming tracks can be presented more clearly in the User Guide.

Last edited by nicholas; 03-09-2021 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typos!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:45 AM   #42
martifingers
Human being with feelings

"... in my experience, if someone reported a problem with one of my manuals, tactfully or not, it was certain that the problem extended to a larger group of others who weren't reporting on it for one reason or another."

That quote would seem to pose a curious philosophical question as to how would he know... sort of like the teacher calling the class register and saying "Anyone not here please tell me..."

Anyhow FWIW I have found the guide to be an excellent effort anytime I have needed to consult it. It hasn't always been completely clear on first reading but each time that has been to the intrinsic complexity of Reaper or its nomenclature.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #43
serr

You know, a single click is the default for opening/highlighting a text field to enter since forever. OP must have been just taken aback at yet another curious Reaper default. Let's be honest, Reaper has a few odd defaults!

Unless this is another one of those Mac vs Windows things? Is it more default in Windows to double-click to open/highlight text fields?

I try to save full out temper tantrums for more difficult situations but here we are.

You copy a plugin by just click-dragging it. Not option-dragging.
You move a plugin by command-dragging it. Not by just click-dragging it.
How about the default zoom/scroll mishmash?
etc etc

I remember stumbling across all this but nothing stands out as traumatic. I probably googled it and found either a page of the manual or a forum post.

The thing that still resonates and stands above any of that trivia is Reaper stability and getting work done. The controls could be labeled in Klingon and I'd just learn the weird symbols and move on.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #44
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm using that quote to be mildy facetious but it is also a helpful comment... and that is to break up huge paragraphs like ^that into consumable chunks so people can and will actually read all of it. It surprised me to see "technical writer" followed by a huge run-on paragraph.

I'm being 100% genuine and sincere so it's not a disparaging remark as I didn't attempt to read it all due to being a huge blob of words.
Same here. I didn't make it past the first few lines before giving up.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #45
LugNut

Hi,
My God! As a drummer for over 50 years I am profoundly embarrased by the ops posts.

My apologies to Nicolas and the entire reaper forum communities.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:05 AM   #46
ChrisBlue

"WEAR A FUCKING MASK.
GET THE VACCINE.
- Covid vaccinated and just fine."

Is there actually any proof of long-term safety of RNA-type vaccines, haven't heard any, can't see how there can be, no-one can be held responsible anyway. Not an anti-vaccer but would certainly like some evidence for peace of mind.
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #47
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
Is there actually any proof of long-term safety of RNA-type vaccines, haven't heard any, can't see how there can be, no-one can be held responsible anyway. Not an anti-vaccer but would certainly like some evidence for peace of mind.
It was just a signature. Don't write here anything about it. Delete your comment.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #48
MelanieKay

Default Pretty Good Guide

Huh. I actually thought the User Guide was pretty good. I've only been using Reaper for a couple months though, so what do I know? I started out at the beginning of the Guide and (usually) have been reading through it, rather than using it as a reference tool as the information seems to build on itself. I haven't watched any of the videos.

I thought the OP was hilarious though.
MelanieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:10 AM   #49
kaylec

I too have been going through the manual and find it very well written and clear. Great job!
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote