Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Default Opposite of ReaTune?

I want something that will help to detune other instruments to match the input. It doesn’t even have to do the tuning itself. Just spit out midi pitch bend or...something...that I can send to midi instruments and/or map to ReaPitch or whatever. Is there such a thing out there anywhere? I think my Roland GI10 would do it, but a plugin solution would be much more convenient.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Philbo King

Jut a thought -- try feeding the (detuned) input audio to Reatune & output midi, and filter out everything except pitch bend messages. That would give you a map, of sorts, on how the input audio pitches differ from standard tuning.

If the detune amount is constant, you could use ReaTune to find out how many semitones & cents, then detune everything else to match. If detune amount varies, that's a harder problem.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Wait! Does ReaTune output PitchBend?!? I hadn’t ever noticed, and haven’t ever heard it affect anything I was driving from ReaTune midi output. I thought it just sent the “right” note. Now I have to go mess with it some.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Philbo King

To be honest, I'm not sure. I assumed it would...

The GL10 would be a great solution. You'd just have to build a custom cable to feed audio in.

Last edited by Philbo King; 04-05-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

Yeah no I was going to kick myself if ReaTune actually just did it, but it doesn't. It just sends notes corresponding to whatever the tuned note should be.

The GI10 has a mono 1/4" input, so there's no soldering required. It's still not as convenient as a plugin for a bunch of reasons, but if it really comes down to it, it might be what I end up having to do.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Yeah no I was going to kick myself if ReaTune actually just did it, but it doesn't. It just sends notes corresponding to whatever the tuned note should be.

The GI10 has a mono 1/4" input, so there's no soldering required. It's still not as convenient as a plugin for a bunch of reasons, but if it really comes down to it, it might be what I end up having to do.
Cool, didn't know that. Maybe you could do a ReaInsert style setup (though I doubt ReaInsert itself can input midi).

My Roland GR20 & GR33 use those 13 pin DIN cables. I've thought about making a breakout box to use it as a 6 channel audio-to-midi converter, but I haven't figured out what I'd use it for...
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

I have a similar plan for a beakout box. In fact, I went so far as to buy a couple of F>M 13 pin extension cables which I intended to hack to do it. My idea was to have 6 switched jacks so that I could maybe plug my bassist into one and still have 5 of my strings passing through. Never quite got around to it, but the stuff is still around here somewhere.

edit - But actually no that wasn't the whole plan, either. It was more like a half-normalled patchbay where you could plug out from a set of output jacks to split the audio from each string out to be recorded/effected/amplified separately and they would still pass through to be converted to midi until/unless it was overridden by plugging into the input jacks. I really should do that. It would be useful for so many things.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 04-05-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
Philbo King

Sounds like a cool idea. A half-normaled midi converter... O Brave New World!
Old 04-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

Lol yeah honestly I have a whole patchbay just sitting here. Could really hack a 1/4” snake in the middle of one of those extenders and plug them into that. You need to make sure that the DC power and control signals stay connected between the pickup and the Roland box, but otherwise it should just work.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #10
dug dog

It seems that there might be a passion project in the works here so I hesitate to stick my nose in at this point. However....

... I've been thinking about this since the first post and wondering about the nature of the input signal that you're trying to match. Is it a one-time deal or is it something that's changing over time? Single notes, chords, entire band?

If it's a one-time deal on single notes, Reatune will give you an idea of how how much tuning is needed and it could be fine-tuned by ear. If not, then bring on the brave new world solution (which is way over my head. ).
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I want something that will help to detune other instruments to match the input. It doesn’t even have to do the tuning itself. Just spit out midi pitch bend or...something...that I can send to midi instruments and/or map to ReaPitch or whatever. Is there such a thing out there anywhere? I think my Roland GI10 would do it, but a plugin solution would be much more convenient.
OK, that's a funny one. Melda MTuner - exposes "midi Output detected cents"
Old 04-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
ashcat_lt

@dug dog - Well the main point atm is that I have this project with a female vocalist who, when she can't think of anything better to do, goes off on these weird droney face noise things that are totally not what we want for that thing, but I kind of accidentally found out that if I layer a few sections of that over each other things get kind of cool in a totally different way which seems to deserves to be its own thing. So I'm kind of thinking out loud about ways that I can use those tracks to generate their own backing stuff, and this was one of the pieces I thought I might could use to make that happen.

@jrk - Thanks! I'll check that out.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #13
dug dog

@shcat: Colour me intrigued. I'd like to hear that stuff.

Since we're thinking out loud, are you against pitch adjusting the vocals?
Old 04-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #14
dug dog

On second thought, maybe she's hitting notes that are more cosmically correct.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
ashcat_lt

Yes I'm against fixing the vocals.

This is sort of what I'm starting from, but I'd take the rest of the "band" out and replace it with something...else...

https://autophagist.bandcamp.com/track/everything

The other A side of this single is more like what we're actually shooting for, but kind of a mashup of various things meant as a trailer for things to come.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #16
ashcat_lt

Apparently I scared everybody off, but I'm posting so I remember where to find the link. This JS plugin has sliders that I think I can hook into and make...something...work...sort of...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=79185