Old 04-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
jimhawthorne
Human being with feelings

Default Volume control based on Pitch?

I would love to have a plugin for monophonic tone sources (like Bass) which would allow individual note-volume adjustment, based on pitch (octave specific). If Auto-Tune can measure and determine the pitch of a note, and then adjust its tuning, why can't it adjust its volume instead? This would be GREAT for Bass when every time the Bass plays a specific note, it's either too loud or soft. Compression or EQ are not getting the job done right. We need a knob for every note high to low across 5 octaves. Anybody else feeling this?
jimhawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
J Reverb

You could try using a dynamic eq ..
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
This ones free and very good, could be what your missing ?
There's a video on their site explaining what it does.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
jimhawthorne

Default Looking for Something Completely Different

So compressors and dynamic-eq's add an envelope to the volume (or eq), but even if you normalized every single note to be perfectly even, that would not sound good in a mix. What I am looking for, (and I've never seen one), is a simple utility which would show an 8x12 grid of 88 notes, high to low. When a note is played, its box lights up, and you can turn its volume knob up or down. So simple, why hasn't anyone thought of this? It would change my world for the better, and I would still use all my compressors and eq's after that in the chain. A Polyphonic version would be even better, if I could write code, I would write this one, and maybe someone out there will also consider this to be a good idea. Thanks -Jim
Old 04-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

8 by 12 is 96, but I get where youíre coming from. I donít love where youíre going, though. Honestly, often when a bass guitar seems to have that thing where one (or a few) note is significantly louder or softer than others, itís an acoustic issue. If it was recorded via a microphone, it could have been a null in the room, but Iíd say itís more likely something in your mix monitoring environment. Unless the bassist just sucks, any differences between notes on the bass itself should be able to be evened out using fairly standard leveling techniques.

But ok youíre not here for a lecture. There are at least a couple of EQ plugs out there which show a piano keyboard on the screen with the spectrum analyzer, and while itís not quite what you asked for, it gets closing. Another idea might be to put some tuner plugin on the track to help you find the frequencies youíre trying to target. ReaTune would even spit out midi for you, and Iím pretty sure there are EQ or filter plugins which would follow that output. I suppose that starts to get complicated and weird. I am currently building a JS that does pitch detection, and it wouldnít be too terrible difficult to make it do what you want, except that the GUI part is beyond me.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
jimhawthorne

Thanks AshCat, (yes, but 88-notes won't fit on 7 rows) and ReaTune doesn't see the lowest notes for some 'Reason', and more often than not, the Bass note I am reaching for to turn down has a lower rms than the others which are ok, or it's in a low range which needs considerable boost to be heard, an EQ would NOT turn down the upper harmonics either. If the detector heard only the fundamental in its specific octave, and simply gave you a gain knob that would work on all harmonics too. Imagine a Synth sine wave sweeping from low to high and back to low again. You could really tailor how that sweep blends in MUSICALLY with your other instruments. Even if it were simply a column of 88 horizontal sliders, that would work, yeah? I would use it on every project.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #6
jrk

You can do this kind of thing in melodyne. If, for example, a bass part has got a "big" A1 - you can select the first one, Select "special" same notes and use the amplitude tool to adjust them all. In this case you'd be working on a "piano roll".
Old 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

You do usually need to set ReaTuneís window to be longer for lower frequencies because they take longer to cycle. What to do with that, though...??? I see what youíre saying, but I donít see a good way to do it atm.

I would slap my ReaComp lookahead lever preset on it and squash it until it plays nice. RMS time at 500, precomp 250, all other time constants at 0. Adjust threshold, ratio, and knee to taste. If that doesnít work, just distort it.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
jimhawthorne

Default P.S.

Imagine ReaTune with a full 88-key display, turned on its side like a Midi piano roll, and when it hears the fundamental of a monophonic tone source, its note on the display lights up (or gets a border), then at any time you could set the volume of 88 sliders on each key, individually OR... with a mouse drag across all of them. You could turn down the irritating notes, and turn up the lowest notes that need a lot of boost. Yup, this is the one for me.