Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Metrobot
Human being with feelings

Default Does clipping matter when exporting stems?

I understand that in Reaper clipping is not really a problem so long as there's no clipping at the master output but what about when exporting stems? IF you have a mix where you like it and you want to export the stems is it a problem if some are clipping?
-M

Last edited by Metrobot; 04-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Metrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
ErBird

It's good practice to keep the levels below 0 dB when exporting, but clipping technically depends on the bit depth of the exported file.

16-bit and 24-bit only contain information up to 0 dB; essentially clipping.

32-bit floating point goes up to ~+800 dB, but you're using more storage and there's no benefit resolution-wise compared to 24-bit. Still, I do 32-bit stems and pre-masters for the reassurance there will be no clipping.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

Any time you’re rendering anything other than the final distribution file, you should render to floating point exactly so that you never have to worry about it. Yes, 32 bit floating uses 4/3 the space as 24bit fixed, but the extra safety of not having to worry about absolute levels is totally worth it IMO. If you’ve got a mix working, and some of the individual tracks are going over 0, and you’d have to completely remix the thing to get it to sound the same with none of the stems going over...like why? Render to 32 bit. Done.

Keep in mind that render/freeze/glue should be included in the above. The format setting for those is in Project Settings, and I suggest explicitly setting that to floating point. Save it as default settings. It won’t fix anything you’ve already done, but you’ll be covered going forward.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
Metrobot

Thank you ErBird and ashcat_lt.
I'll keep it at 32 bit floating.
Cheers
-M
Metrobot is offline   Reply With Quote