Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-26-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Default Right-click menu function is lost if right-drag set to 'select time selection' [SOLVD

I have made the right mouse button select time when dragging.

In doing so, the right-click menus fail to show now.

Can this be corrected? Strange functionality.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by talustalus; 04-14-2021 at 03:48 AM.
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
I have made the right mouse button select time when dragging.

In doing so, the right-click menus fail to show now.

Can this be corrected? Strange functionality.

Thanks for your time.
Not totally sure what you mean. Is this the mouse modifier in 'Arrange View'? The default for right-drag is 'Marquee select items'. Did you change that?
Old 02-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #3
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Not totally sure what you mean. Is this the mouse modifier in 'Arrange View'? The default for right-drag is 'Marquee select items'. Did you change that?
Yes, I changed it to 'select time'. In doing so, nothing happens when I right-click the arranger or on an item in the arranger.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
serr

I use right-click-drag for marquee selection. It does not disable right-click here. (Right-click on a mouse is still the classic shortcut for control-left-click.)

What DOES disable right-click from the mouse is un-ticking the box in Reaper preferences/editing behavior/mouse for "Control+left-click emulates right-click".

It's written kind of backwards and suggests you'll get an extra modifier key out of the control key. It's noted that the control key will be unavailable as a modifier key when the box is ticked but they don't clearly mention that removing that removes the right-click menu ability.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I use right-click-drag for marquee selection. It does not disable right-click here. (Right-click on a mouse is still the classic shortcut for control-left-click.)

What DOES disable right-click from the mouse is un-ticking the box in Reaper preferences/editing behavior/mouse for "Control+left-click emulates right-click".

It's written kind of backwards and suggests you'll get an extra modifier key out of the control key. It's noted that the control key will be unavailable as a modifier key when the box is ticked but they don't clearly mention that removing that removes the right-click menu ability.

Thanks for that. But no luck on my end.

I'm sure not many people have right click drag set to time selection, like me, but it definitely takes away the right click menu for me.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
tenor20

Did you ever find a solution? My right click menu in the midi editor has all of a sudden started simply duplicating the File Edit Options (etc.) menu instead of a contextual menu ( where you can change the channel of a note, or see note properties, etc.)

It is possible that I un-ticked this box, as was suggested - but I think the problem is more serious than that since I can't even find that option on the preferences/editing behavior/mouse menu.

I too modified the right click drag a few days ago.

The only other thing that I did that I can think would have had an impact on this, was to install Reapack, since that asked me for the location of my configuration file as part of the install process.

I might have to post this issue separately.

"What DOES disable right-click from the mouse is un-ticking the box in Reaper preferences/editing behavior/mouse for "Control+left-click emulates right-click"."
tenor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
tenor20

Update:

I switched back my right drag settings to marquee select, and my context menu has returned.
tenor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
talustalus

Have not found a solution yet, no.

Only double-right-clicking brings up the right-click context menu. (when right-drag is set to 'select time').

The problem with that it de-selects items from the selection. And 99% of the time the whole point of the right-click context menu is specifically for a selected item.

I've got into the habit of using the main window menu toolbar (Item > ...) instead of right-clicking. It's a hassle but I'm getting used to it.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
artmanjam

Quote:
Have not found a solution yet, no.

Only double-right-clicking brings up the right-click context menu. (when right-drag is set to 'select time').

The problem with that it de-selects items from the selection. And 99% of the time the whole point of the right-click context menu is specifically for a selected item.

I've got into the habit of using the main window menu toolbar (Item > ...) instead of right-clicking. It's a hassle but I'm getting used to it.
+ 1000
Exactly the same issue here.

The 'Click and Drag' stock feature is an absolute non-sense. Dragging folders or files is a basic and fundamental feature on computers. Why did they want to reinvent the wheel?

Furthermore, the simpler the feature the most used it's assigned to. I select items hundreds times more than I want to change Time Selection. The Alt thing is just a workflow slower.

So I switched the feature just like you did and I can't right-click on item anymore too. Double-right-click opens the context menu but deselects the item thereby...
artmanjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
talustalus

Yeah, unfortunate.

Notice what happens as soon as you right-click (with the right-click drag set to time select) -- the cursor immediately changes to the time select cursor, even just clicking and not dragging.

So the normal mouse cursor has no chance.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
Infrabass

+1
This is a serious issue that basically prevent us to use any custom actions for the arrange view right drag mouse modifier.
I would like to use it to just set time selection but loosing the right click context menu is not bearable.

Could you please fix this behaviour Cockos?
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
mks

Yes. I was posting about this for a while as a Mac user. I have switched to Windows over the last few months and was hoping this behaviour would go away. Really sad to see it's on Windows too This is a big one for me since I love the idea of splitting up "object" selections on the left mouse button, and "time" selections on the right. Especially for someone that comes from (and still uses) other DAW's that have a focus on one or the other as primary concepts.

This workflow would be super fast for me if it would just work fully. I've been working around with double click, but it feels weird and is ultimately slow and unintuitive. Please Cockos, take a look at this if you can. Please
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #13
artmanjam

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunate.

Notice what happens as soon as you right-click (with the right-click drag set to time select) -- the cursor immediately changes to the time select cursor, even just clicking and not dragging.

So the normal mouse cursor has no chance.
So it looks like Ctrl-Right click does the trick and opens the context menu...
;-)
artmanjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 AM   #14
vitalker

It should be posted to bug reports forum.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #15
bolgwrad

In the meantime, try setting 'Arrange View Right Drag' to 'Select Items and Time', instead of just 'Select Time', see if that helps.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #16
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
In the meantime, try setting 'Arrange View Right Drag' to 'Select Items and Time', instead of just 'Select Time', see if that helps.
Hey! nice one.

That solved it for me, and I don't mind it this way one bit.

For anyone wondering set this default right-drag mouse modifier to 'Marquee Select Items > Set time selection'

Right-click menu on item is restored, finally!
Old 04-09-2021, 04:08 AM   #17
Whelfen

+1
I don't want to select items during time selection, so it's no option for me. I Tried it out for some month, it still bothers me.
Why does the selection have to be active to open the context menu? Reaper can actually distinguish right click from right drag?
The issue seems to have been there for a bit longer.
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #18
talustalus

Still good here with the workaround. But if i didn't want items to be selected when selecting time I'd be 100% with you.
It needs to be fixed properly.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:26 AM   #19
Whelfen

No news on this side here?
I don't understand why such a bug persists for years even though updates are released all the time. It is still one of the top points that absolutely bother me about Reaper.
Whelfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:57 PM   #20
Infrabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
It should be posted to bug reports forum.
Hey Talustalus, are you able to do this?
It might help!
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:28 AM   #21
Flix

I came across this bug today and this thread was the first search result. For anyone else that comes across this thread: talustalus did report it in the bug reports forum, here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2519738 - please comment on that thread if you want the issue to be fixed.
Flix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:35 AM   #22
mks

Yes. Also noted in another thread is that this works correctly with razor edit. So it’s just this one main use case that has this bug
mks is offline   Reply With Quote