Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Boddrick
Human being with feelings

Default Pan individual MIDI notes?

Hi guys n' gals,

Quick question for all you clever clever REAPERites out there. I have a sequence of MIDI notes triggering a soft synth VSTi. I'd like to alternate the notes between being panned left and right. I don't want to do this using the pan envelope in the Arrange view, because the notes are fast and close together. Is there a way to assign each individual note its own pan setting within the MIDI editor?

I've found the Pan MSB and Pan LSB lanes (I think that's what they're called), but they don't seem to do anything when I shift the bars all the way up or down. Do these pan functions require the VSTi to have some panning functionality in-built? I.e. do they just trigger an instrument's panning function, or do they use REAPER's panning ability?

Thanks and smooches.
Bod
Boddrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Sibben

Yes the VST needs to actually pick up those MIDI events which I think few do. But since REAPER is so flexible we can work around this without too much hassle. This is how:

1) Put ReaControlMIDI first in the chain and enable Control Change. Your VST won't read the Pan CC changes but this module will. It wont do much with it but it reads it.

3) Add your VST synth. It'll play it's notes as usual ignorant of any Pan changes.

2) Add JS Utility volume pan after. We'll pan the sound with this. Touch the pan slider and then goto Param button on the top of the FX chain window and select Parameter modulation. We will now drive this knob with another parameter -- the pan changes from ReaControlMIDI.

3) Click Link from parameter. In the box that says none pick ReaControlMIDI and the the 5. Pan option. You need to change the slider at the top to get the full pan range or it'll just go from center to far right.

4) Edit the 10 Pan CC parameter in the MIDI editor.

Voila. Have fun.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Nip

CC10 is pan by midi - but it may be supported on individual VST instruments - not all.

So if supported you can use normal CC10 automation in ReaControlMidi.

But remember that expected functionality would be that all sounding notes follow this pan change. But if series of single notes that is not a problem.

If fader on track in Reaper is assigned to be midi CC7 and CC10 are sent according to positions at each start/stop of transport in Reaper.

But if still audio fader+pan on a track you can automate this on audio level as well. Only way if midi pan is not supported.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddrick View Post
Quick question for all you clever clever REAPERites out there. I have a sequence of MIDI notes triggering a soft synth VSTi. I'd like to alternate the notes between being panned left and right. I don't want to do this using the pan envelope in the Arrange view, because the notes are fast and close together. Is there a way to assign each individual note its own pan setting within the MIDI editor?
Hey Bod, even if the synth responds to CC10, if your notes overlap, I think this would sound rather strange because it will also pan any notes being held.

I think the best way to accomplish this would be to use two instances of the synth with different midi channels and pan one left, the other right.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Sibben

No it won't sound strange. CC 10 Pan is a parameter control like Modulation and not per note as for instance Velocity. No matter if notes are overlapping there's only one Pan CC at a time.

If however you really want overlapping notes with sounds panned in opposite directions you should look at the solution Tod describes with different MIDI channels. Which by the way is probably easier to set up as you need no signal routing.

Anyhow. Included a simple test-project with the hookup described earlier.

Attached Files
File Type: rpp Panned synth.RPP (5.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Reno.thestraws

depending on your vsti :

if multitimbral like kontakt:

- duplicate the patch
- pan both patch symetrically (1:left / 2:right)
- assign patch 1 to channel 1
- assign patch 2 to channel 2
- in your midi editor, set notes you want on left to channel 1, set notes you want to on right to channel 2

if not multitimbral vsti

- diplucate the vsti track and pan symmetrically
- add new track
- drag you midi items on your new track
- create send midi from midi item track to vsti track 1 (channel 1 to channel 1)
- create send midi from midi item track to vsti track 2 (channel 2 to channel 1)
- in your midi editor, set notes you want on left to channel 1, set notes you want to on right to channel 2

Last edited by Reno.thestraws; 07-31-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Reno.thestraws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
Nip

If doing it on audio this might help Waves Doppler:
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=244