Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Kolodude
Human being with feelings

Default Very short MIDI notes won't move (FIXED)

Hey everyone,

I have a knob on my surface set to "Edit: Move notes left one pixel" when turned counter-clockwise and "Edit: Move notes right one pixel" when turned clockwise. The action is standard in the "MIDI Editor" section of Reaper's actions. I was just testing this on a midi drum track, and some of the notes just wouldn't move. It would work perfectly for most, but others would just sit still. Could it be the size of the MIDI notes? Maybe there's a bug where really short notes won't move? I guess I should check that now :P

If anyone knows/has any suggestions, I'm open for them!

Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe it IS something to do with the size of the notes....One of the notes I can't move is literally too small to zoom in on (maybe I should have used the "triangle" mode instead of rectangle while I was recording?) and when I C/P it, I can't move any of the pasted notes either. Another I could zoom in on. It wouldn't get any smaller, but as soon as I made it the TINIEST bit bigger, it would allow movement. What's going on?

Last edited by juliansader; 11-03-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Kolodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
TimOBrien

Do you have 'snap to grid' turned on? (the little magnet in the toolbar)

You can't make fine adjustments unless you turn it off.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Kolodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
Do you have 'snap to grid' turned on? (the little magnet in the toolbar)

You can't make fine adjustments unless you turn it off.
The action actually works when snapping is on OR off, doesn't matter. I don't think that's the problem considering it's only certain notes (they're not snapped or anything) that won't move.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Confirmed. MIDI note events of a length of exactly 1 MIDI tick won't move with the actions "Move notes left..." and "Move notes right..." neither per pixel nor per grid unit (Cmd ID's 40181 through 40184). ("Move up..." and "Move down... " do work.)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Kolodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Confirmed. MIDI note events of a length of exactly 1 MIDI tick won't move with the actions "Move notes left..." and "Move notes right..." neither per pixel nor per grid unit (Cmd ID's 40181 through 40184). ("Move up..." and "Move down... " do work.)
Thank You for confirming this! Anywhere to go from here? Should I post it in the bugs section? Also, do you have an opinion on the best work-around when recording midi drums?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolodude View Post
Thank You for confirming this! Anywhere to go from here? Should I post it in the bugs section? Also, do you have an opinion on the best work-around when recording midi drums?
Workaround might be to simply to select all notes, and quantize all (length only) before you start editing. Since it's drum notes, I don't think that will give you any bad side effects.

Edit: Here, the note doesn't have to be exactly 1 MIDI tick, it just has to be less than 0.0.009 (is that 9 midi ticks?)
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

I'm moving this thread into the bug report forum. What's left to do is open a ticket in the issue tracker http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?projectid=2 to add it to the official bug database. If you could do that, I'd appreciate that.

Yep, 0.0.009 in the event list would be 9 ticks. I wonder why it's different for us. Maybe zoom dependent?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Kolodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I'm moving this thread into the bug report forum. What's left to do is open a ticket in the issue tracker http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?projectid=2 to add it to the official bug database. If you could do that, I'd appreciate that.

Yep, 0.0.009 in the event list would be 9 ticks. I wonder why it's different for us. Maybe zoom dependent?
Sure, I'll try to do that right now! Also, I can also move anything over 0.00.001 length long, doesn't seem like zoom makes a difference. The fact that Kevin can't move notes under 9 ticks long just makes this all that much more confusing.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Thanks, you did well .

Link to tracker (IID 4567): http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4567
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #10
funkyspacecadet

Does anyone also have an issue with these noano-midi notes also having no release information?

ie: In this bass riff I'm working on, I also have these really short MIDI notes, the same length as in the above case, except they seem to not note-off like normal length notes do.

I'm still investigating, it may be something else though.
funkyspacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
ivansc

what size of MIDI note are you talking about? I can use pretty much anything down to 1/64 with no problems. If the worst comes to the worst, try hitting the "+" gadget on the bottom right of the MIDI editor window, which enlarges your view of the note. Then it is going to be really easy to grab. Oh and have you thought of using a laser mouse? Changed my life in terms of mouse precision and comfort.

Last edited by ivansc; 02-07-2014 at 01:30 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

The original bug with MIDI notes of length exactly = 0.0.001 (one tick) not obeying "move note left/right" actions still exists in the current version (v4.402). It seems to be independent from the ticks-per-quarter setting, if you (for whatever reason) use a resolution of 16ppq, then a 1/64 note will show this bug.

Note-off messages are working fine with these one-tick notes here. I only tested with a few VSTi instruments though. Did you check whether the note-offs come up in a MIDI logger (like eg ReaControlMIDI)?

Last edited by gofer; 05-02-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added ppq info
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
copacetic

Sheesh, this is an annoying issue.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
funkyspacecadet

Has anyone managed to find a workaround for this yet? Still does not seem to be fixed in the latest Reaper version.

If I could just select all these short notes and then drag them to increase the length I'd be well chuffed.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
foxAsteria

is it related to short notes not being erasable with alt+drag? that's also strange and annoying.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #16
funkyspacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
is it related to short notes not being erasable with alt+drag? that's also strange and annoying.
Yeah seems so.

The only way is to use the lasso tool to select them. So f I have other notes that touch them I have to drag the other notes up/down, lasso tool to select the short ones and then delete them, drag the normal note back in place and then create new notes.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #17
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet View Post
Yeah seems so.

The only way is to use the lasso tool to select them. So f I have other notes that touch them I have to drag the other notes up/down, lasso tool to select the short ones and then delete them, drag the normal note back in place and then create new notes.
well another way is to use the actions "delete all notes less than 1/64 (or 1/128) note in length"
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
jnif

Quote:
I think it is not related.

The erase bug is zoom dependant. Erasing stops working when you zoom out and note graphics get very tiny. It happens even with average length notes.

Also selecting notes using left click stops working at the same time when erasing stops working.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
funkyspacecadet

Quote:
well another way is to use the actions "delete all notes less than 1/64 (or 1/128) note in length"
Yeah except I don't want to delete them all - I want to resize them whcih I can't seem to do.

if I could select them all and stretch, then I'd be happy.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet View Post
if I could select them all and stretch, then I'd be happy.
ah well in that case tried this? http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...all+midi+notes
you could combine that with a quantize position and end to grid action

@jnif---so it's a known bug? know if it's already in the issue tracker?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
funkyspacecadet

Quote:
ah well in that case tried this? http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...all+midi+notes
you could combine that with a quantize position and end to grid action

@jnif---so it's a known bug? know if it's already in the issue tracker?

Ah, thanks

I'll try that a bit later and see.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #22
Dstruct

Just tested it in 4.591 with the smallest note I could create and this note can't get moved left/right. Up/down movement still worked.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #23
Dstruct

Still there in 5.20 x64.

-> create the shortest MIDI note possible

Result: Up/down movement via keyboard shortcuts working. Left/right movement not working.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #24
juliansader

Still there in v5.27.

This bug is quite sneaky, since when longer notes are selected together with zero-length or 0.0.001-length notes, the longer notes will move OK while the short (and therefore less visible) notes are left in place. The user may therefore not notice that something is going wrong until it is too late and the notes' positions have been scrambled.

Last edited by juliansader; 11-01-2016 at 03:21 PM.
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #25
schwa
Administrator

Fixing, thanks for the report.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote