Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default Custom OSC commands?

So I am using TouchOSC with reaper. I have a modified layout. What I'd like to have is some of the actions in OSC command such as (these two come to mind right now): toggle PreRoll for metronome during recording

and another MORE important one: stop and Delete all recorded media.

what I've done is I made two buttons which send midi to TouchOSC bridge then in the actions I've 'learnt' the buttons for the actions.

now if I could just do the same thru OSC commands I wouldnt have to run BridgeOSC then along with Reaper.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Xane002

Any item in the Actions List can be addresses by OSC.

Look in there. And scroll to the right. Look at the column for 'Cmd ID'. For instance, an OSC message for an object in TouchOSC to stop playback would look like this:

/action/1016

The '1016' part is the command ID that references the action stop for the transport.

It's that simple.

But, these Cmd ID can change. Any Cmd ID not in parenthesis are internal to Reaper and won't change (unless an update does this - 4.32 didn't change anything) but Custom Actions (shown within parenthesis) may change if you delete another custom action.

For instance, if you create three actions and delete the second, upon next load of Reaper, the third action becomes the second. Learned this the hard way!

I use OSC and actions a lot - mostly for selecting markers in my live set for song positions, but also for transport functions.
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Sound asleep

There is something about this I am missing.

Let's suppose, I have 'toggle1' and 'toggle2'

And I have action '16' and action '40668'

What would i write in the .reaperosc file?

I get bits and pieces here and there, but nothing seems very clear to me.

the example is:

ACTION i/action t/action/@

which does not show the action number, but it looks like you tag it on after a '/'. it also looks like they are saying you can omit the '/' but, that gives me an error when I load the reaperosc.

So then, I put:

'ACTION i/action/16 t/action/16/@' ?

But then it doesn't know which button I am referring to.

so, is 'action' supposed to be my button name?

Usually, after a 't/' I would normally put the button name.

so, is it

'ACTION i/action/16 t/toggle1/@'? 'ACTION i/toggle1/16 t/toggle1/@'?

Do I have to name my toggle1 action?

It's not very clear.

and how do I set 2 different buttons up like that?

Idk, It doesn't seem very clear to me how to do this.

I find the included help resources are not very good. They are great for someone who knows already how to do all this, but just forgets the specific commands, but they are not very well designed for someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

I managed to figure a lot of it out, but this custom action thing has got me stumped.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Sound asleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Vendetta V

I'd try to be helpful but it's been awhile since I used OSC really. I abandoned it mainly for the small screen on my iPod (and i lost the app license or whatever during a restore)

nevertheless thinking of revisiting it with a new iPad mini ometimes this year or next year
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
the example is:

ACTION i/action t/action/@
No, it is not an "example". It is an action description, it describes what format the OSC messages should have to trigger some "action" (NB: *not* meant in the sense of REAPER's Action list here) on REAPER's end.
Quote:
which does not show the action number, but it looks like you tag it on after a '/'. it also looks like they are saying you can omit the '/' but, that gives me an error when I load the reaperosc.
No, you shouldn't tag it on in the configuration on REAPER's end, you should send a message where you use an action Cmd ID number as an integer value (first option, the message pattern with the "i" flag) or in the place of the "@" wildcard (second option, the one with the "t" flag).

And no, you can not omit the "/" in OSC messages. They're an essential part of the OSC protocol, and are very useful for routing messages hierarchically.
Quote:
I find the included help resources are not very good. They are great for someone who knows already how to do all this, but just forgets the specific commands, but they are not very well designed for someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

I managed to figure a lot of it out, but this custom action thing has got me stumped.
Sure, wrapping your head around this may be hard when you have never used OSC before, but I think that's much the same as configuring MIDI mappings when you have never used MIDI before. One simply needs some time to get comfortable with the basic concepts first, I guess.

In this case, the comments in the Default.ReaperOSC file seem pretty clear to me; they do spell out an example of an OSC message to trigger a specific action.

But if you could suggest further improvements to the explanations in the comments, other users in a similar position could possibly greatly benefit from your experiences on this learning curve.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
No, it is not an "example". It is an action description, it describes what format the OSC messages should have to trigger some "action" (NB: *not* meant in the sense of REAPER's Action list here) on REAPER's end.

No, you shouldn't tag it on in the configuration on REAPER's end, you should send a message where you use an action Cmd ID number as an integer value (first option, the message pattern with the "i" flag) or in the place of the "@" wildcard (second option, the one with the "t" flag).

And no, you can not omit the "/" in OSC messages. They're an essential part of the OSC protocol, and are very useful for routing messages hierarchically.

Sure, wrapping your head around this may be hard when you have never used OSC before, but I think that's much the same as configuring MIDI mappings when you have never used MIDI before. One simply needs some time to get comfortable with the basic concepts first, I guess.

In this case, the comments in the Default.ReaperOSC file seem pretty clear to me; they do spell out an example of an OSC message to trigger a specific action.

But if you could suggest further improvements to the explanations in the comments, other users in a similar position could possibly greatly benefit from your experiences on this learning curve.
Thanks, while it is clear in retrospect, there is nothing explaining anywhere what is happening.

The part where you enter "this line" in reaper osc, to tell it to listen for action commands.

And then the part where you enter in OSC section "/action and the action ID found in reaper's actions dialog"

Are crucial pieces of information that were omitted.

It speaks of the stuff as though you already know where it's all supposed to go.

what was odd for me also, is that on all the prior steps, i had the impression that in OSC field, I was writing the tagline, or name, and location of the button, then, in .reaperosc, I was writing what should happen when that button or whatever triggers.

This last part was a little different, because it seemed like the reverse to me, where you would put the desired result (triggering action x) as the designation of the button, and then an entry that listens for any action, and passes on which action should be sent.

Idk, it was a bit confusing.

The thing is, nothing of how it worked was really explained.

There were just bits and pieces.

It told you what the capital letters stuff meant.

And it told you what the different parts of the editor did.

But it didn't explain anything about the mechanism of how it worked was.

Really, their example for my part, should have given a sample for an action, it's ID, where you write that, and what you put in the reaperosc file, and why you did all those things.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, while it is clear in retrospect, there is nothing explaining anywhere what is happening.

The part where you enter "this line" in reaper osc, to tell it to listen for action commands.

And then the part where you enter in OSC section "/action and the action ID found in reaper's actions dialog"

Are crucial pieces of information that were omitted.

It speaks of the stuff as though you already know where it's all supposed to go.

what was odd for me also, is that on all the prior steps, i had the impression that in OSC field, I was writing the tagline, or name, and location of the button, then, in .reaperosc, I was writing what should happen when that button or whatever triggers.

This last part was a little different, because it seemed like the reverse to me, where you would put the desired result (triggering action x) as the designation of the button, and then an entry that listens for any action, and passes on which action should be sent.

Idk, it was a bit confusing.

The thing is, nothing of how it worked was really explained.

There were just bits and pieces.

It told you what the capital letters stuff meant.

And it told you what the different parts of the editor did.

But it didn't explain anything about the mechanism of how it worked was.

Really, their example for my part, should have given a sample for an action, it's ID, where you write that, and what you put in the reaperosc file, and why you did all those things.
You seem to assume - incorrectly - that TouchOSC and its editor are the only thing that can be used with REAPER's OSC support. Imho it is not REAPER's job to explain how TouchOSC and its editor work (or not); so I really wouldn't want to see any comments added to REAPER's Default.ReaperOSC file about how to edit templates in TouchOSC's editor. That is simply not the proper place. If you choose to use TouchOSC with REAPER, it's up to you to figure out how TouchOSC works; if you would find its features and/or documentation are lacking, it is not fair to blame REAPER for that. REAPER only needs to explain / document its own behaviour.

Last edited by Banned; 10-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
You seem to assume - incorrectly - that TouchOSC and its editor are the only thing that can be used with REAPER's OSC support. Imho it is not REAPER's job to explain how TouchOSC and its editor work (or not); so I really wouldn't want to see any comments added to REAPER's Default.ReaperOSC file about how to edit templates in TouchOSC's editor. That is simply not the proper place. If you choose to use TouchOSC with REAPER, it's up to you to figure out how TouchOSC works; if you would find its features and/or documentation are lacking, it is not fair to blame REAPER for that. REAPER only needs to explain / document its own behaviour.
I didn't blame anybody. You asked me about it, so I explained it to you. All I did was mention the information I was missing and what I would have needed. I didn't mean omitted in the reaperOSC file necessarily, but omitted in the whole experience, on the touchOSC website, and on the reaper file.

I'm not into the blame game, but if you wanna blame somebody, then blame TouchOSC, because if they want lots more people to use their product, they need to make things like that more simple. It would only take them a couple of hours, if they know reaper a little to go through that default.reaperosc and make it clear for their application.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
Vendetta V

Gotta be honest back in those days when I was starting out with OSC, I found mysef frustrated too. The TouchOSC page wasn't clear. I had collected all the info from both Reaper's file, and TouchOSC website and yet there was a missing gap in the middle which I got to realize by tinkering with the Editor. Wish it was on the website and it'd be really easy
Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Gotta be honest back in those days when I was starting out with OSC, I found mysef frustrated too. The TouchOSC page wasn't clear. I had collected all the info from both Reaper's file, and TouchOSC website and yet there was a missing gap in the middle which I got to realize by tinkering with the Editor. Wish it was on the website and it'd be really easy
Ya, exactly. It's like the website explains the components of the editor, then the reaperosc file explains the reaper side of things, as though you already knew everything, and then there is this gap, of all the understanding in between.