Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
EcBaPr
Human being with feelings

Default Jumping to specific timeline markers with OSC

is it possible to design a touchOSC template that can jump to specific markers on the reaper timeline ? Ive seen the next and previous marker jump facility with logicpad but what i would like to do is make a layout with 12 or so buttons and each button jumps directly to a specific marker number in reaper.

I saw in the default reaperosc file the marker feature looks just like it only supports NEXT or LAST only ??. I also saw something else which says

TIME f/time s/time/str

Would that allow me to jump to specific time location on timeline ? If i could assign a specific time to each touchosc button it would be the same result as using markers but wasnt sure ??

Also, is it also possible to get marker names returned to the tablet ? I couldnt see any ability to do that in the reaperosc file..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Anton9

Yes.., for example if you send something like "/time", 3.3 it will set REAPER's cursor at 3.3 seconds. There is also these which work similarly:

BEAT s/beat/str
SAMPLES f/samples s/samples/str
FRAMES s/frames/str

As for your second ? regarding marker names..., I don't think it's possible.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
EcBaPr

thanks Anton..

Is there any chance you would know the exact syntax i would need to type into touchOSC editor for the button to jump to a say 1 minute mark on reaper timeline ? I tried some variations of "/time, 60" but nothing i tried seemed to work..

Im not exactly sure how to interpret the OSC commands as im not really sharp on this stuff.. when i opened the logic pad file in touchOSC editor and looked at its commands it seems to show page number followed by / and then the command.. so when i mimick that with...

/1/time, 60

it doesnt work ?? when i take page number away it doesnt work etc.. If you have any thoughts would be helpful.. cheers
Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
Anton9

Ok.., so let's start from the beginning just to make sure you have communication setup properly.

1) Click on Options menu and select "Preferences".., form the Preferences dialog select "Control Surfaces". Click the "Add" button and from the dropdown menu select "OSC(Open Sound Control)". The "Control Surface Settings" dialog should now appear.

2) In the "Device name" field enter whatever you want to call it.
In the "Pattern config" dropdown select either Default or since you said you're using LogicPad you can select that one.

3) Tick the "Recieve on port" and you can usually just leave this at 8000.
Tick the "Send to port" and set the port to match that of TouchOSC then enter your devices IP. Click the "OK" button and now it should be listed in the Preferences/Control surfaces window.

4) Make sure the TouchOSC Port and IP settings match up.

5) Now let's go back to the "Control Surface Settings" dialog..., so go ahead and double-click on the one you just created and then click the "Listen" button. If things are set up properly then this is where you will see incoming messages. This window will pick up all incoming messages even if it's a message that REAPER does'nt support.

6) As far as programming the messages that TouchOSC sends.., I don't use TouchOSC so I can't be of too much help there..., so I would just do a search on the forums here and you should be able to find what you need.

The OSC commands themselves will allways be the same however the way they are formated or coded before they are sent can vary from software to software. Usually the commands will be in quotes for example "/time" followed by one or more parameters. examp; ("/time", 60.0).

It may seem like alot to go through at first, but once you get it down it's a breeze and OSC is waaaay more versatile then the ancient old MIDI standard.

Good luck!

P.S. You might want to check out this page, it seems to have some good info.
http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-editor

Last edited by Anton9; 12-23-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
EcBaPr

Yeah i had the communication happening already and the logicpad template working..

There is a time counter on the logicpad that serves to indicate position back to the tablet, that display is just written as /time on the touchOSC file.. but when i do /time, 60.00 on a button it doesnt jump to 60 seconds on the reaper timeline..

Im doing the comma immediately after the time command, then one space and 60.00 I also tried just 60 and other things like no space and it didnt work.. I tried some things like 60.000 also with no luck... I havent seen any "" on other touchOSC commands, i tired that also but still no good..

im not that sharp on this stuff but i find most things i can get working fairly easily by looking at whats already in other layouts, this seems to be a stumbling block though.. Are you sure reapers time command does allow you to jump to different locations ? From all i can see it look like its just updating the display back on the tablet..

Also when i look at .reaperOSC file it shows /time/str for one of the commands.. do you know what the /str means ? is it string ?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Anton9

Ok so I took a look at the LogicPad.ReaperOSC template and I notice that it is this..,
TIME s/1/time ..,etc.

So a couple of things I would try.

1) First try sending something like this "/1/time", "60.0"

if that does'nt work maybe try this..,

2) Make a copy of the LogicPad.ReaperOSC file and give it a different name such as Test.ReaperOSC.

Then add these OSC message patterns (f/time s/time/str) to the action description TIME. You could try a couple of different things here.., such as deleting all the "s/#/time" patterns and just add the ones I mentioned or just add them to the end. In other words the TIME description line would look like this..,

TIME s/1/time s/2/time s/3/time s/4/time s/5/time f/time s/time/str

or just this..,

TIME f/time s/time/str

then you can try sending something like this

"/time", 60.0
or
"/time/str", "60.0"

**(Note: after you edit and save the TEST.ReaperOSC file make sure you load the correct one in "Pattern config" field of the "Control Surface Settings dialog" before doing any test sends.)

Hope you get it working
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
EnkelMagnus

If you want to jump to a specific marker use /action 40161 for marker 1
/action 40162 for marker 2 etc.

It's in the Actions menu,just filter by "markers Go" and you'll see 'em.
They're a bit oddly numbered so look out for that.
Go to marker 10 is /action 40160 11 is /action 41251 and marker 12 is /action 41252
EnkelMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
EcBaPr

wow.... i went from having absolutely no success for a day and a half to working a bunch of things out in the space of 10 minutes..

Both markers and time working now.. For anyone else who might want to achieve this in touchOSC.. The way to jump to specific time is with /time Then you put the time value you want to jump to in the "from" and "to" fields of Value Range touchOSC editor. So to go to 60 secs i just put 60 in both fields and it jumps to that spot.. If you put 0-60 it jumps to 60 secs while you hold the button and then back to 0 secs when you release... I had played around with this for ages trying to do /time, 60 or /time/60 etc but when using time command you have to put the value in the "to" and "from" fields..

With markers you dont use "to" and "from" its just /action/40161 or whatever marker number corresponds on action list.. Thanks Enkel for that info.. It seems obvious to format it that way but i was doing things like /action 40161 with a space or trying to use commas and obviously you have to type the command 100%..

Thanks Enkel and Anton for your help... If anyone knows a way of getting the marker names to update back on the tablet it would be great to get that happening also, but as it stands very happy to have this running..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 12-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
If anyone knows a way of getting the marker names to update back on the tablet
We should be able to add this.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
If anyone knows a way of getting the marker names to update back on the tablet it would be great to get that happening also
Feature request
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
awesome... look forward to it
Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Xane002

Quote:
+1 This would save me a lot of time. I could abandon sending the comment from SWS Live Configs which are bound to a specific device, rather than globally available for any OSC device setup to receive that info!

Also, it seems the "Go to Marker" actions are limited to 30.

Any way of expanding this to larger amounts?

Currently, I'm using SWS to navigate markers via OSC since I can address up to 99 - which I have not yet exceeded...but it's coming....

Oh Schwa...love the Olly avatar! It's crescent fresh! Super cres at best!

Last edited by Xane002; 01-12-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Sigilus

time is seconds... if you haven't gotten that (seems you did). And yes - it does work, but be careful of your project frame-rate as it affects the behavior
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #14
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xane002 View Post
Also, it seems the "Go to Marker" actions are limited to 30.

Any way of expanding this to larger amounts?
REAPER 4.59 will have OSC support for GOTO_MARKER and GOTO_REGION.

REAPER 4.60 should have full support for marker/region name feedback similar to how tracks, FX, and FX params are currently handled: DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT, DEVICE_MARKER_BANK_SELECT, MARKER_NAME, etc.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
EcBaPr

you guys rock.. thanks schwa..

can you mention if you have plans to develope further OSC features in Reaper ? Is it feasable that we could one day load a JS fader, right click on it and attach an OSC command that is sent to a selected IP / port ?

ie: a way of sending isolated OSC commands that is independant of control surface profiles and .reaperosc config ?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
schwa
Administrator

You can do that now, more or less, with oscii-bot. This is a standalone application, but it uses the same EEL language structure as JSFX.

The next release of oscii-bot, coming soon, will include the many JS improvements that were just added to REAPER 4.59.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
Xane002

Quote:
And it works superbly! Thank you!

Now...4.60! 4.60! 4.60!

I'm waiting for the marker and region names. For my purposes, I want to send the song title (multiple songs in a project, live show) to the OSC device.

Two ways I can do this: an action to locate a marker (beyond 30) via SWS Extensions, then find a track with "BUSS" in its name (SWS action too), jump to the next item, and rename the track with the item's name.

Or

Liveconfigs with the comment send bound to a device...which is not preferable since the contents of the comments field is only sent to the bound device, and limitations based on the source of the control for CC selection.

Anyway...really looking forward to the marker/region name functionality!

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
Troy

Quote:
I've just set this up and I really like the addition, thanks.

Is it possible to use region/marker names as the variable? I follow a pretty standard naming scheme in my projects and would like to have buttons on my device that say, for example, Intro, Verse1, Verse2, Chorus1, Chorus2, etc.

I guess I could set up a multi-push panel with columns and rows.... or can I? Could you configure the OSCConfig file to translate the x/y output of a multi-button array in TouchOSC?

Last edited by Troy; 01-15-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #19
EcBaPr

excuse the ignorance in this question im still getting used to OSC.. but does anyone know how i get the marker names to update on tablet with the new beta build ?

I see this line in default.reaperosc

MARKER_NAME s/marker/@/name

if i want to display the name of marker 4 from reapers timeline couldnt i just use this on a label in touchOSC..

/marker/4/name

it doesnt seem to work..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 01-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

The way this is set up is exactly parallel to how track, FX, and FX parameter banks work. Rather than REAPER sending constant feedback to display every marker and region all the time, instead the device defines a bank of markers, and REAPER sends feedback for just the markers in the currently selected bank.

In the .ReaperOSC file, DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT is the size of the marker bank. Note that you can change this value either by editing the .ReaperOSC file, or by having the device send the DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT message at run-time.

If DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT is nonzero, then messages like MARKER_NAME will work, with a wildcard value between 1 (inclusive) and DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT (exclusive). To receive feedback for higher numbered markers, the device needs to change the active marker bank, using DEVICE_REGION_BANK_SELECT, DEVICE_PREV_REGION_BANK, or DEVICE_NEXT_REGION_BANK.

(I've just realized there is a bug where the current marker/region bank is not looked at when processing the GOTO_MARKER and GOTO_REGION messages, we'll fix this for the next build. In other words, if you have the marker bank size set to 8, then your device is displaying 8 markers at a time; if you select the second bank, then your device is displaying markers 8-15; if you try to go to the second marker on the screen, the device should send GOTO_MARKER 2, but REAPER should know to actually go to marker 9.)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
EcBaPr

Thanks... With marker names, I realised the default osc file had DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT set at 0 so I have now changed it to 8. The project i have loaded is just 2 audio tracks and 5 markers.. now i have changed the value to 8, i have written this for a txt label in touchOSC...

/marker/4/name

should i expect that to display marker 4 name back on the tablet ? currently it doesnt seem to work, but when i use /track/2/name on the same label i can see the name of track 2 on the tablet no problem.. I have also added two other buttons which have these commands.

/device/marker/bank/+
/device/marker/bank/-

Everytime i press these buttons though it crashes Reaper ?? I also added 2 buttons for..

/device/track/bank/select/0
/device/track/bank/select/1

I wasnt sure how the numbering works but i figured one of those buttons should put me on the first bank and then my marker 4 label should work ? These buttons dont crash reaper but dont help display the marker name..

I have a few other buttons for goto markers also and they have worked fine even before i changed the DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT to 8.

Does what im doing sound correct or maybe i am still be doing something wrong ?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #22
EcBaPr

ahhhh 2 minutes later i worked it out.. When i set DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT to 8 in default.reaperosc config file it doesnt do anything but i just created a button with

/device/marker/count/8

when i press it, it updated the marker name exactly as expected.. So it seems i need to get the tablet to send the marker count setup not the config file ??

Is there any reason why i cannot set marker count to a high number like 30 or 40 ? That way i can easily have lots of labels one time on my screen, but im wondering is there a problem with setting this value to higher numbers ?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #23
schwa
Administrator

The config file is only read on startup, so if you edit the config file, you will need to restart REAPER. It should work fine to set DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT in the config file and not on the fly, I'll check that here.

Regardless, nothing your device sends should crash REAPER, so we'll fix that too.

You should be able to set DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT to any number. Does something go wrong when you change it to a higher number?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #24
Xane002

Quote:
The config file is only read on startup, so if you edit the config file, you will need to restart REAPER. It should work fine to set DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT in the config file and not on the fly, I'll check that here.

Regardless, nothing your device sends should crash REAPER, so we'll fix that too.

You should be able to set DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT to any number. Does something go wrong when you change it to a higher number?
EcBaPr - what version are you using? I though marker names were coming in 4.6...are they in 4.59 now?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
schwa
Administrator

They are in the 4.60 prerelease. EcBaPr, it would be better to start a thread in the prerelease forum for testing and so forth.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #26
EcBaPr

thanks Schwa... I havent seen anything go wrong setting device count higher but wasnt sure if it was a good or bad idea, i'll keep messing with it.. i'll start another thread in pre release forum.. appreciate your help.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #27
Troy

schwa, there may be a bug in the way that Reaper is reporting marker and region names to the device. It doesn't seem to report the last name in a bank.

If I have
Code:
DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT 4
DEVICE_REGION_COUNT 4
Reaper will report the first 3 only. When I cycle through banks the sequence is correct, meaning that the first reported item is #5, but still that last item is not reported. I've replicated this with banks of 3, 4, & 5 markers and regions and in all of the cases the outcome is the same.

BTW, is this the best place to continue on this subject, or should I create a new thread?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Troy

Also,

Are there supposed to be entries for marker/region bank select like these for track bank select?

Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS
DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS_REAPER
DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS_MIXER
Currently in my setup marker/region bank changes effect names ony, not selection. Or is there some other setting I'm missing?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #29
EcBaPr

I started this thread in pre release forum...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...25#post1300925