Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

Default From Premiere Pro to Reaper (AATranslator) - Audio Post-Production Tutorial

Hi !

I just post an article (text + video) on my website to show the worklow to go from Adobe Premiere Pro to Reaper, on Windows, using the AATranslator converter.
This way, you will be abble to do the audio-postproduction work of your videos in your favorite DAW
EDIT : MAC OS Worflow is explained on my page !

there is the link :
From Premiere Pro to Reaper (AATranslator) - Audio Post-Production Tutorial

French here :
From Premiere Pro to Reaper (AATranslator) - Audio Post-Production Tutorial

I hope it could help some of you !

(note : the tutorial was written with AATranslator v5.7, older versions may not work)

Cheers !

Last edited by X-Raym; 05-13-2014 at 02:47 PM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
kreap

fantastic! i'll get back to you once i get this from the PP export!

you legend!
kreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
X-Raym

i'm so glad you like it !
thank you very much for your support !!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
kleofas

Hello!
I'm doing some video, and for first time (when I saw this tutorial) I tried to export EDL and mixing my movie audio down in Reaper. But when I open exported *.rpp file there are a lot of strange things... my samples are trim in strange way, don't fit to each other, some samples are missing. Premiere Pro project have 23,978 fps, audio files are wav and mp3's (PP show that all of it are 44kHz, 32 bit floating point), so my settings in AATranslator are: 23,978 fps, 44kHz and 32 bit.

What am I doing wrong?
kleofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleofas View Post
Hello!
I'm doing some video, and for first time (when I saw this tutorial) I tried to export EDL and mixing my movie audio down in Reaper. But when I open exported *.rpp file there are a lot of strange things... my samples are trim in strange way, don't fit to each other, some samples are missing. Premiere Pro project have 23,978 fps, audio files are wav and mp3's (PP show that all of it are 44kHz, 32 bit floating point), so my settings in AATranslator are: 23,978 fps, 44kHz and 32 bit.

What am I doing wrong?
Probably best you email the EDL to me - use the same email address which issued you your AATranslator registration details. More than likely you haven't followed the AAT installation instructions but we can check all that out for you
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
X-Raym

Hi !

Did you follow all the points of the step in my tutorial ?
Samples trimed in a strange are often sign of a timecode issue (that you can resolve with the method i described).

In conjunction with the Runaway's generous help, perhaps you can make a screen capture of your workflow.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
kreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post

i'm so glad you like it !
thank you very much for your support !!
it seems it works! its a process but yeah it works. asking the video ED to export this way....... pain in the ass!!!

Reaper needs to step up IMO. OMF import is the bloodline of audio post and also will open reaper up to the level of other professional DAW's.

AA transfers is not cheap, neither is pro tools but if i had to make a choice i would buy pro tools.

in my heart i'd prefer to not use anything but the 1 application. CMON REPAER!!!

i prefer your software, make me believe in you for the future!
kreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #8
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreap View Post
it seems it works! its a process but yeah it works. asking the video ED to export this way....... pain in the ass!!!

Reaper needs to step up IMO. OMF import is the bloodline of audio post and also will open reaper up to the level of other professional DAW's.

AA transfers is not cheap, neither is pro tools but if i had to make a choice i would buy pro tools.

in my heart i'd prefer to not use anything but the 1 application. CMON REPAER!!!

i prefer your software, make me believe in you for the future!
Try simply exporting without modification as an FCP XML from Premiere (File > Export > FCP XML) - the $59 version of AAT will convert that to an RPP and you will have far more detail than any OMF could ever possibly contain - starting with the video tracks, markers, etc, etc.

BTW Most people assume that all OMFs are created and read equally - a common mistake. You will have far more chance of having your audio loaded by another daw using stems than hoping that another daw will open any other daw's OMF - and it doesn't cost a cent ;-)

Edit: Feel free to send me an FCP XML as a test conversion to an RPP

Last edited by Runaway; 03-06-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
X-Raym

Quote:
OMF import is the bloodline of audio post and also will open reaper up to the level of other professional DAW's.
Quote:
i would buy pro tools
I had recently the opportunity to supervise the post-production of a 18-minutes long shortfilm. Editing in Premiere Pro, mixing in Pro Tools. You think it's transparent because of OMF... ? It's not.
First Premiere Pro convert ALL your audio files with a random 30 characters long name. Why this conversion ? My file are already as the same format ! I don't want all of them to have a unnecessary duplicate ! Gigas of sounds ! Well, no escape, i have to done that, and all my files names were lost in the process (it tooks me a lot of time to rename all of the clip... too bad).
Then in ProTools, i saw that every single clips have a DC offset, that came from the source audio files themselves. In Reaper, DC offset can be apply without render in one second to every items. Protools needs to make a render for every single clips to correct DC offset. So you know have 3 copies of your (gigas of) files (the third without offset) and the audio post production as not even started.
And then, ProTools videoframe rate issue. The sound editor thought i done the synch in a bad way because the OMF was not perfectly synch with the Sorenson 3 video i gave him, so he resynch every single clips and sends me the render. All was time offset, and we understand that ProTools had trouble to keep the framerate constant while playing a video. So i ask him to replace everysingle clip at the original place... several days of work and energy were lost for nothing.
It's just after these troubles that i felt the urge to came up with a Reaper solution. No render, video capabilities (full HD with no troubles), editing from the source files... and I found it.

Quote:
way....... pain in the ass!!!
The golden rule of this process is : keep your audio editing in your video software as simple as possible.
So, what bothers you so much in that worklow ? it's not complex, you just have to make your sync in Premiere Pro, the rests is done in Reaper, with the power you already now ANd as my video tutorial shows you, it takes just about two minutes. That is less that the time needed to conform all the audio files of a short movie in a OMF.
So can you please tell me what kind of stuff did you try to do ? I'm very curious about that.

Last edited by X-Raym; 03-07-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 AM   #10
kleofas

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
(that you can resolve with the method i described).

perhaps you can make a screen capture of your workflow.
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly but I set timecode to "0" in all media files (according to your tutorial), but PP shows that they're acctually set to "0".

If it will be helpful I can make screenshots, but please tell me what exactly it needs to be.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #11
Vendetta V

this is totally in time! Thanks! Gonna bookmark it for later today!
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #12
X-Raym

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleofas View Post
If it will be helpful I can make screenshots, but please tell me what exactly it needs to be.
Indeed, i asked you a full video screen capture of your process
But if you prefer pictures in a steps by steps way, it's also possible. Try to match your capture with the one i did, this way i can see if there is something that doesn't match.

Do you use the last AATranslator version ? I can't say my tutorial will work if you don't have it.

If you are absolutely sure that your premiere pro project is conformed,
you can send your file the Runaway, which is the developper of AATranslator ! *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Thanks!
You are welcome !
Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Runaway

I'm just waiting on kleofas to get back to me with some other information but I have converted his EDL and the results are accurate as are x-raym's instructions
Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
kleofas

Hi everyone
After email contact with Runaway it seems to be problem on my side, not with X-Raym tutorial or even AATranslator.
Thanks for advices guys!
Adam
Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #15
X-Raym

Thanks for your message !

For those who wonder what was wrong, it is not difficult :
be sure you use the last version of AATranslator ! Standard version is enough for that job !

Cheers to all :P