Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Sonic Vampire
Human being with feelings

Default DrumReaplacer Manual - THE free drum replacing solution

Thanks to Jonas we have a free and amazing drum replacement plugin in the JS environment.

I am attempting to create a manual for this awesome drum replacement program.

Much of the info has been gathered from this thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462, the info provided in Jonas' install and trial and error.

I am slowly compiling the info to be made into a downloadable Manual and update the all in one install/test kit originally provided by Jonas (see below).

For now I will attempt to compile info about the "operation" of DrumReaplacer within this thread whilst working on separate threads for INSTALL MANUAL and SAMPLE FILE CREATION - (links also found in my signature)

DrumReaplacer Install Manual http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134388
DrumReaplacer Sample Source File creation http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134389

The latest versions of the plugin have been patched by Justin and supplied on Reaper Stash
https://stash.reaper.fm/browse.php?q=...placer&x=0&y=0
the patch fixed a problem that the latest versions of Reaper "broke"

Here's a zip with old installation info, an old version the plug in and a demo project. http://nejnas.se/audio/jsfx/DrumReaplacer-test-kit.zip
I will attempt to provide an updated version asap but this can be used in conjunction with my install info thread and the latest plugin download to get you started

Any info anyone would like to contribute will be greatly appreciated.
The work that Jonas has done is massive. To provide a manual with it is another big job that will greatly add to the use of this plugin.

Last edited by Sonic Vampire; 02-25-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: link broken
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Sonic Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
For those of you wanting bleeding edge stuff, here's a new version which adds a few sliders to control the dynamic spread of a performance - I call i Solidify (as in a creating a solid performance).

What these sliders do in theory might be a bit confusing* but in practice it's dead easy:

Set the "Solidify above (dB)" so that all hits that should be hard hits are above it. Set the "Solidify below (dB)" so that all hard hits are below it. Now drag the "Solidify (%)"-slider to the right until the performance is as solid as it should be.

http://nejnas.se/audio/jsfx/DrumReaplacer-1.095.txt

Note that the orders of the sliders have changed so this version is *not* backwards compatible with older versions. (The slider called Velocity is exactly the same as the Dynamics-slider in previous verisons, just thought the new name for it was less confusing.)

Please let me know how it works and how you like it! Regards,
- Jonas

* What it they do is they take all hits that are inbetween the values set on the "Solidify above (dB)" and "Solidify below (dB)" slider and makes them stronger. How much is controlled by the "Solidify (%)"-slider. Setting it to 100% will make all hits in that zone peak at the value set by the "Solidify below (dB)"-slider, setting it to 50% will make all hits in that zone peak exactly inbetween their original strength and the value set by the "Solidify below (dB)"-slider.

although download the Justin Patch version
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Sonic Vampire

I'm trying to "rescue" a snare track. The thing is, rim shots sound perfectly fine, and so do the snare rolls (there are quite a few of them). It's the regular snares that sound like a tin can...
Is there a way to tell Reaplacer that when nothing is activated by the threshold to keep the original signal (the rimshots and rolls are significantly softer than other hits, so that should solve it).

What you're looking for is not built into DrumReaplacer yet (although it's on the to do list), but thanks to Reaper's routing you still do it.

Check out this project: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/396203/...%20routing.zip

How it's done:

Duplicate your snare track and insert DrumReaplacer on the newly created one, adjust it so it only replaces the regular snares and make sure original signal is set to zero percent.

Now send that replaced snare to channel 3/4 on your first (the original) snare track (set its number of track channels to four) and insert ReaComp on that track. Set ReaComp's Detector input to Auxilliary input L+R and adjust threshold, ratio (set it high!) and knee size so that it ducks the original "tin can"-snare every time a replaced snare is played. (To really duck it, use a ReaGate befor the ReaComp and set the ReaGate to send noise when it's open - see the project I posted.)

Sounds harder than it is, but give it a go, take a look at the project (above) and post again if you run in to trouble!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default project link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Vampire View Post
I'm trying to "rescue" a snare track. The thing is, rim shots sound perfectly fine, and so do the snare rolls (there are quite a few of them). It's the regular snares that sound like a tin can...
Is there a way to tell Reaplacer that when nothing is activated by the threshold to keep the original signal (the rimshots and rolls are significantly softer than other hits, so that should solve it).

What you're looking for is not built into DrumReaplacer yet (although it's on the to do list), but thanks to Reaper's routing you still do it.

Check out this project: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/396203/...%20routing.zip

How it's done:

Duplicate your snare track and insert DrumReaplacer on the newly created one, adjust it so it only replaces the regular snares and make sure original signal is set to zero percent.

Now send that replaced snare to channel 3/4 on your first (the original) snare track (set its number of track channels to four) and insert ReaComp on that track. Set ReaComp's Detector input to Auxilliary input L+R and adjust threshold, ratio (set it high!) and knee size so that it ducks the original "tin can"-snare every time a replaced snare is played. (To really duck it, use a ReaGate befor the ReaComp and set the ReaGate to send noise when it's open - see the project I posted.)

Sounds harder than it is, but give it a go, take a look at the project (above) and post again if you run in to trouble!
don't suppose anyone still has a copy of that routing project?
It's not this, is it?

(07/08)
MultiAudioMidiRouting.RPP by gofer
audio and midi routing for Multitimbral, multi-out instrument plugins. Audio and midi on one track per channel. Project Settings: "Allow feedback in routing" has to be ticked for this to work. Insert vsti on track 2!

Gofer

THANKS!!!
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
alancraig

Default Love it!!

I was considering buying Slate Trigger or Drumagog for replacing drums. But then I ran across this. Yeah, the initial setup is a little weird. But this thing is amazing! I found a ton of free drum samples online and this has made replacement incredibly easy. I'm recommending this to all of my friends who use Reaper!
alancraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
mlprod

Amazing, is there anyway to edit the plugin to allow multi channel samples?
mlprod is online now   Reply With Quote