Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper ha10kx2k.sys BSODs all the time...

it's true, i'm still using an EMU-1212m pci card from long ago with beta drivers made for vista. i'm on win7 x64 so these are the only drivers available that will work on a 64 bit os.

i can't afford a new device right now, and it's chugged along just fine till recently. now reaper gives me these blue screens quite often when saving a project or exiting the app.

i would just accept that it's a shitty old card that needs replaced, but these BSODs happen ONLY when using reaper.

here's one:

Crash List

Created by using BlueScreenView

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Crash Address Stack Address 1 Stack Address 2 Stack Address 3 Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size
013114-23618-01.dmp 1/31/2014 10:46:09 PM DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 00000000`00000028 00000000`0000000b 00000000`00000001 fffff880`0591cc16 ha10kx2k.sys ha10kx2k.sys+9bc16 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0 C:\Windows\Minidump\013114-23618-01.dmp 4 15 7601 296,048

EDIT: Good news! After doing the clean boot thing and having stable operation for a while, I re-enabled nVidia Display Driver Service and got a bunch of blue screens today. Pretty sure that was the culprit. Kinda makes sense too, since nVidia Control Panel actively searches for apps opening and closing to apply game profiles. You can make .cmd files to start or stop the service without opening Windows Services, as long as it's set to 'manual' in there. Just type "net start (or stop) nvsvc" into a text file and save with the .cmd extension. Then you can just double click that file to start/stop the service. I have EventGhost doing that for me automatically. The nVidia control panel is not necessary for normal operation of the gpu.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-27-2016 at 11:43 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Is that also happening in a project with no/only stock plug-ins? Crashing plug-ins taking down wonky drivers is no news. Check Event Viewer http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 for traces of plug-in crashes and try to remember what you've added/changed before that started happening.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
foxAsteria

event viewer never logs anything for a bsod like this except on reboot (unexpected shutdown). that's the first thing i check if reaper crashes.

and yes i've had the crash using stock reaper with no plugins.

i posted hoping the info from bluescreenview might be useful. i don't know how to read them except to find the faulty driver.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
Ollie

When you say it crashes only in REAPER, what other application (using ASIO!) did you try?

What did you change recently before that started happening?

BSODs with the Vista driver were not uncommon even when Vista was new, affecting all EMU10K based cards. Things you could try before trying a different PCI slot, or downgrading the OS:

- disable the Emu synths in Preferences->Audio->MIDI devices

- remove the ASIO strip from Patchmix (you won't be able to use the ASIO driver but that's usually the pivotal thing with these BSODs) and try to use ASIO4ALL (which will use the WDM driver).

- let DSP.exe (Patchmix) run in XP compatibility mode
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Ok thanks, but I'm not going back to xp or using asio4all. There's a couple suggestions there I haven't tried though.

I haven't been using any other asio apps, but the ONLY time I get this BSOD is when saving or occasionally rendering.

Trashes whatever file I'm trying to save too, which is incredibly annoying.

I have no idea what changed by now since I've been putting up with it for some time. I've even done a complete re-install on a new machine; this happened before and after, so I strongly suspect it's something to do specifically with the combination of the E-Mu, Reaper and saving projects. The auto backups don't do it, just saving manually. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a while.

Hopefully compatibility mode will help...
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
foxAsteria

little update. compatibility mode seemed to help. still get bsod's, but they are more tolerable now, as they happen upon closing reaper instead of when saving.

at least it's when i'm done working, instead of when i'm trying to commit something.

i wonder if there's a clue in this change?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 AM   #7
Ollie

If you google "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" (maybe with '+creative' to narrow down the results a bit) you'll see that this is a very widespread problem, which is generally hard to troubleshoot. The stop error basically says that the driver tried to access memory that Windows thinks it shouldn't touch. It's usually attributed to bad drivers, hardware malfunctions, bad configuration and malware.

Since it worked before and happens on multiple computers, the card itself or its drivers may be the culprit. If nothing (common to all computers you tried it on) changed, the card may simply have gone bad but it still may be worth a try to clean all the card's PCI contacts.

To rule out any bad REAPER Preferences setting that could have sneaked in before that started happening, try renaming reaper.ini or do an additional "portable" style REAPER install to a new folder and check if that also happens when you try to save an empty (with one empty MIDI or text item) project.

From there all you can do is narrow that down / try to rule out everything else by "bareboning" your PC (removing/turning off everything that's not essential for the card and REAPER to work, like all onboard peripherals, removing all unnecessary cards, reduce RAM to the minimum required slot population, wipe the OS disk and reinstall Windows but don't install any unnecessary drivers and software) and check whether or not that minimal configuration changes anything.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Icee

This will go away the moment you replace that EMU. I suffered with this problem for months...I finally switched to a Tascam US-1800, then Focusrite 2i2 for a short while, to a Focusrite 18i20, and now a Roland Studio Capture. None of the other interfaces gave me blue screens.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Gelic

The Emu 1820m still has THE BEST WARM VINTAGE SOUND. Keep 'em running! This article essays all the useful troubleshooting of both drivers and bad caps in the Emu 1820 series of pci cards. I've had the BSODS from drivers and noise spikes and complete failure from bad caps. But follow these steps and this card is still as fantastic as anything out there. There is something special about these cards in function, dsp, glorious sound and all that I/O. Only the RME offerings have an overall profile of benefits exceeding these cards.

Many uninstall their drivers for the Emu 1820 not realizing they can fix them with cap replacement. Reinstalling things CAN BE A NIGHTMARE. I hope my journal of my experience and final success helps people make music with their precious Emu 1820's.

I have used Reaper and various 1820m 1820 rigs with it for years on XP and then Win7 without BSODs - UNTIL I tried using the latest Win7 Beta Drivers after replacing the bad capacitors. You know, the usual two bad caps infamously blamed in many articles.

Emu 1820M Diary and Log

Reaper ha10kx2k.sys BSODs all the time... - Cockos Confederated Forums
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135850

After replacing my bad capacitors and upon attempting to reinstall the Emu 1820 drivers, I encountered the "you have previously installed drivers without rebooting" error. This is a DEAD STOP for installing the PCDrv Emu driver of any kind or version. I resolved this by using "Driver Sweeper." This is NOT one of those scam apps which attempt to bilk you out of large fees for fixing "errors" they find. This is open source freeware.

Driver Sweeper was written by a music guy who was tired of manually removing Creative Drivers (they make Emu stuff) and wrote a tiny app to do this automatically. If you are uninstalling Emu drivers - USE IT. http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/g...r-sweeper.html

If you get the "you have previously installed drivers without rebooting" error, it's because there are registry entries or temp files or some kind of flag IN YOUR Windows USER ACCOUNT PROFILE. To get around this, create a brand new Win7 Admin User account. (it might work with another existing account, but I got tired of too much trial and error) This user profile will NOT have the flags, files or registry entries (who knows what triggers the error) which caused the "previously installed drivers" error.

When logged into this account, perhaps even from Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper and "Check the Creative - Sound box." (It will also clean Intel, ASUS sound, Nvidia, etc). Click analyze. It will show you the remnant leftovers from the Creative installs, whether for built in sound cards or the EMU cards. Hit the clean button to remove. If it asks you to reboot, don't do it from the app. But do reboot manually. App reboots are often trouble.

I also ran the registry and file parts of CCleaner before installing

Then I was able to install whatever Emu driver I liked BUT ONLY FROM THE NEWLY CREATED user account. This install of both the Emu driver and patchmix app are universal to all user accounts so when you log back into your usual account, things will be great.

=====So which Emu Drivers Worked without BSOD on Windows 7 64x?
Using the wrong combinations of drivers meant hangs and blue screens often related to ha10kx2k.sys.

The whole post about which drivers are best and why is here:
"Emu 1820m: Best Drivers in 2018 for Windows 7 64bit"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1957747

I've posted the article and the PatchMix App and 1820m hardware Driver here: http://TheGuy.com/Emu

What you want is this combo!
EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe + (Notice the 2-20!)
EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe

If anyone tells you to use 2.10 Patchmix with 2.20 beta driver, think twice!
EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00.exe (wrong Patchmix version!)
EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe (Right Driver)

Last edited by Gelic; 02-22-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Gelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
foxAsteria

@Gelic - thanks for the info.

At first I was getting even more BSOD's with the above combination. Finally I did a clean boot, disabling all 3rd party startup services and the problem seems to have gone away. I haven't yet tried re-enabling them, as I apparently don't need any of them starting at boot.

This is how you do it, btw:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

I did make a lot of other tweaks, trying to get a stable system, so I can't say for sure this was the solution, but if anyone is having these issues, it might be the ticket.

Some more advanced tweaks I was also trying at the time: http://ultimatewindows7gamingoptimization.blogspot.com/
Disabling write-caching and indexing on the disk seems to have helped overall performance in Reaper quite a bit.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-27-2016 at 10:28 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:02 AM   #11
ivansc

Thanks for this - I currently have a couple of friends working on getting Emu 1010 series cards working & this looks like it could be the way forward.

I used my 1212m under 64bit Win7 pro for ages before switching to the RME I have now but couldnt find the actual combination of drivers and patchmix I used!

Well done guys.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I used my 1212m under 64bit Win7 pro for ages before switching to the RME I have now
Yea I have a couple other devices as well, but I keep my E-Mu installed for the sheer convenience of not having to turn on any external gear. It also records at a much higher quality than my Firebox, which I'm only using for stage now.