Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Neon_Knight
Human being with feelings

Default [4.61] Reaper unable to export MIDI tempo map with partial measures (FIXED)

Hello everyone,

Another issue here. I can't quite tell if this is a bug or a "feature" that I don't quite understand, but I'm desperately trying to export a MIDI tempo map (I have a big recording session tomorrow morning) and no matter what I do, when I re-import the MIDI file into a new reaper project, all of the time signature changes have moved. In fact, they have all "stuck" to the nearest whole beat. As this is a film score, obviously not all of my cues start perfectly on the default 4/4 120bpm default beat so I necessarily must have time signatures starting in the middle of the bar before, so that my bits of music start in the right place. This is fine in my project file, it works perfectly in fact. However, exporting the MIDI tempo map doesn't work, and I really really (really) need it to.

I've uploaded the project (with most of the MIDI taken out) - see if you can render a reliable MIDI file out from that, which when re-imported, preserves the SMPTE positions of the time changes?

some screen shots:

First cue starts at 0:00:06:12, at 74BPM:

When the MIDI is reimported, the first cue starts in a completely different position, at 0:00:08:00 :

As you can see, the tempo change has "snapped" to the nearest whole bar-line. I can't just click and drag them all into the right place, firstly because there's dozens of these, and secondly, as soon as I do, everything becomes horribly wrecked beyond belief, bars become added, etc, the playback rate starts changing, etc, and it's just unusable. I'm not going to start dragging things around only to find that the engineer tomorrow has got extra bars between hitpoints in his tempo map. Also because if I do drag them around to the right place, I have no guarantee that on exporting the MIDI, it won't just snap them back onto the barlines again. Note: This does not change whether I have the time signatures set to time, or beats, or whatever. No combination works. But by default I have both set to "time".

I do notice however that if I set up a new project with a partial measure and export the MIDI, it seems to work, which suggests a problem with my project settings.

Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: rpp The Passion Tempo Map.RPP (6.5 KB, 102 views)
Neon_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
Neon_Knight

Also I'd like to add that I have UNTICKED "snap time signature change events to whole bars when importing MIDI files". It makes no difference whether it's ticked or not.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
Neon_Knight

A temporary fix for anybody else who may be experiencing this problem:

Turn each partial measure into a non-partial measure, ie, select the area of space between the beginning of the partial and the start of the new tempo (with snap to grid turned on), rightclick and choose "Create measure from time selection (Detect tempo)". This will create a bar to perfectly fill the gap, thereby removing the partial measure and replacing it with a whole one. This then creates a viable MIDI tempo map.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

This is a bug with exporting the MIDI tempo map. Partial measures before a time signature change are forced to full measures. Fixing, thanks for the report.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

The latest prerelease build, 4.62pre6, should fix this. If you are interested in testing it, the prerelease thread is here, and general information about prerelease builds is here.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote