Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Yidneth
Human being with feelings

Default Hello. I´m Priscilla Hernandez. Introducing myself.

Hello,
My name is Priscilla Hernández, I'm a singer and composer from Spain and of course as many of you, a happy Reaper user. I have a little label and I produce music in ethereal gothic/fantasy/soundtrack genre. It's been a while I wanted to stop by and say hello as my partner has told me several times that the Reaper community is full of good people, so there we go, I felt encouraged to say Hello, and hope to stay around to learn also about you.
This is a videoclip of one of my songs (I am also an illustrator so I make also the artworks for the video)
http://youtu.be/ke8qA6SjG9s

This is my site in case you want to listen to more: http://priscillahernandez.com or http://yidneth.com , as always, any feedback is really welcome. I am always eager for an opinion from other composers.

My partner and I installed the trial version of Reaper but we didn't know of its full potential as first sight, but as he's very stubborn, studied it thoroughly to customize it and we found it such a powerful for us. I found myself composing my projects in an easier, fast and much more comfortable way than ever. So we purchased it and happy since.
So here I am recording my third album entirely with Reaper ;-) and I don´t cease to recommend my fellow musician friends to give it a try.

This is a sample pic of one of the songs I'm working right now. As you can see I'm a little "addicted" to layer vocal choirs LOL.

so just that, thank you for creating REAPER, and see you around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coros_ethereal.jpg (65.0 KB, 1129 views)
Yidneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
pixeltarian

Welcome to the forums!

Vocal layers are the best. I like your music video.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
jazzmandan

Seriously, a picture of the singer on the vocal track!! Reaper continues to amaze. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
johnnynash

Welcome to the forums!
johnnynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Tod

Sounded Great, Loved it, welcome to the forums..
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

This is good music, IMHO.
AmmoniumNitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Lawrence

Agree. Nice music and artwork and overall good sense of style, i.e. clothing choices and all that in the photos and ... if I can even say so out loud without being a male chauvinist pig and/or without breaking any unspoken rules of political correctness or decorum...

... you're also quite attractive.

Welcome.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Solar

Hola Priscilla!

Bienvenido al foro de Reaper / Welcome on board. Reaper is indeed one of the most powerful DAW on the market. Here you'll find a great family community where people are amazing & always ready to support & Help.

Great music work, beautiful voice & artwork. Amazing All-In-One package.

Le deseamos lo mejor en todo :-)

Saludos

P.S ¿Por qué no tienes ninguna canción en español? Is it by personal choice or to be more accessible?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
bladerunner

Hi, Awesome work - great track and a beautiful video I'm working my way into a lot of gothic influenced fantasy/darkwave stuff like Helium Vola, Faun... I shall add you to my list of listening
bladerunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
alex1073

Hi! Welcome to the forums!
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Yidneth

Default thanks for the warm welcome everyone

To everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

@pixeltarian, Yes, I always say... I'm going to make one lead vocal and that's it! But I can´t LOL.

@jazzmandan I've taken pics of my own real instruments and customized the template so when I put the name in the track it shows, it helps me a lot to find things during the pre-mixing and recording state. I'll try to snapshot that for a following post

@Lawrence I´m at an age that I will take that as a compliment, sir Ty! I do even make many times my own fantasy clothing.

@Solar Nice to read some Spanish around here. I'm bilingual and I find easier to make rhymes in English. "Sueño Muerto" from my first album is in Spanish. Still I don't know why I feel more comfortable with the sound of my voice in English.

@bladerunner Fellows from Faun are actually friends. I shared the stage with them in their premier in USA some years back. They're very nice, talented people. Though I play acoustic folk instruments most of the time my music is less folk oriented and more soundtrack inspired.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Yidneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmandan View Post
Seriously, a picture of the singer on the vocal track!! Reaper continues to amaze. Welcome to the forum.
I also use icons for other instruments. In fact for everything. Here is a snapshot of the instruments I play acoustic on my own (not including the VSTs). So these icons are actually photos of my actual real instruments. I find it useful and cool for Reaper because it even makes it feel the production more personal for me For the rest of the tracks I collab with my partner who helps me with the percussion and midi sequencing, and final mixing and then I usually hire a violinist and a cello player.

above: my acoustic instruments template tracks, except for the rat. She sings herself
here you can see some of the instruments http://priscillahernandez.com/my-music-instruments-gear

But as I said I am not entirely acoustic,I like mix it with electronica/ost vibe.

And thanks again for the welcome. See you all around! I am aware I can learn a lot in this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg instrumentstemplate.jpg (29.2 KB, 937 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
NowoTone

Hi Priscilla,

welcome to the forums :-) I'm really blown away by the video and love the many layerd harpish instruments, and obviously the layered vocals!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Jeffsounds

Welcome! I love the music!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
EvilDragon

Welcome to the forums, Priscilla! Love your music - very nicely done (I especially love kantele )!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
crootnik

listening to "waking of the spring", at this moment. very nice. I see you are a harpist. You might be interested in our music, we were the 1st band in America to feature a string harpist (1983)... formally on the label Sony Music, now we just write for our pleasure... Art in America is the name of the band......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TISqKu9jwm0

It's always nice to hear music that features string Harp.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
Sari

Welcome to Reaper. Great Music!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Muzikman2008

Like Bees Round A Honey Pot ;-)
Muzikman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman2008 View Post
Lol. I had a good chuckle over the 6 dislikes on the video, wondering how sad those six people must be to dislike something that's obviously not just random YT crap.

Don't think I've actually ever given anyone on YT a dislike, not even Rebecca Black with that horrible "Friday" song. More often I've already stopped the video and closed the page and moved on without even thinking about it.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #20
SonicAxiom

Welcome to the forum, Priscilla! Your creativity is impressive. You're a pro yet you come across very natural and sensitive. This is a very ingratiating combination.

Your arrangements are very sophisticated. I'm really a fan! It would be very interesting to hear what (vst)instruments, plugins and outboard gear you are using in conjunction with reaper to achieve these appealing sounds, if you don't mind sharing some technical details and some thoughts regarding your workflow.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
morgon

Quote:
Haha yep, to each his own, but this sure beats the gay footballer thread.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
Kundalinguist

WOW! Priscilla, your video was a perfect match of music and visual atmosphere. It has that kind of Enya vibe that sets your genre of music apart from what the majority of us are creating/selling/addicted to.

I also watched the making of your video (I included the link below for others to also watch it).

Quite entertaining. Your songs and voice are excellent; that goes without saying. But your video is also of top notch quality in scenery and production values. Obviously you have put in a lot of effort into this project and I hope the rest of the world appreciates it so that you can attain the kind of recognition that you deserve for all your hard work.

It makes me happy to see deserving people succeed.

All the best,
Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=P8FUgJTl6ao
Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #23
Lerxst

Quote:
This ^^!
----------------------
Hi Priscilla - love your track icons! I wish I could play harp like that - nice work, dramatic...ethereal...almost hypnotic. Makes me want to watch the first season of GoT all over again.

~just another bee
Lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #24
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
This ^^!
----------------------
Hi Priscilla - love your track icons! I wish I could play harp like that - nice work, dramatic...ethereal...almost hypnotic. Makes me want to watch the first season of GoT all over again.

~just another bee
Is that you, ALERXST Leifson?

re; Bees: Yes, we men can be dogs when it comes to women. But, talent is talent. My appreciation for it transcends being a dog.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #25
Lerxst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Is that you, ALERXST Leifson?

re; Bees: Yes, we men can be dogs when it comes to women. But, talent is talent. My appreciation for it transcends being a dog.
SHHHH! I'm listening to Priscilla right now! and blah blah blah blah blah ....

blah blah blah.....................blah

Wouldn't you say that there is a direct correlation between talent/dogs - bees and the things they want to pollinate? or honey... but that is beside the point.

Do you think I should change my login to Lerxstish? That should do it eh?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #26
Lerxst

Ah! I got it, my new name is Leif Garrett - I swear - that's the ticket
Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #27
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Don't think I've actually ever given anyone on YT a dislike, not even Rebecca Black with that horrible "Friday" song. More often I've already stopped the video and closed the page and moved on without even thinking about it.
Ditto...
Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #28
Sambo Rouge

Welcome Pricilla and friends!

Beautifully mixed and mastered album from one of my very favourite parts of the world: the beautiful Canary Islands.

I can see how much work has gone into both the audio and video production of your music.

Best wishes with your musical endeavours.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 AM   #29
martifingers

You are very welcome to the forum. Your yuotube track sounds fabulous technically and musically. Please keep posting to continue to enrich us.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #30
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yidneth View Post
And thanks again for the welcome. See you all around! I am aware I can learn a lot in this forum.
Welcome Priscilla! Judging by your work (both audio and visual), I say that we (I) have a lot more to learn from you in this forum... hopefully. Very interesting (and not common) work, very interested in anything you want to share about your workflow, ideas, tips advice etc...
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #31
bladerunner

Quote:
@bladerunner Fellows from Faun are actually friends. I shared the stage with them in their premier in USA some years back. They're very nice, talented people. Though I play acoustic folk instruments most of the time my music is less folk oriented and more soundtrack inspired.
That must have a been a cool experience - nice to count Faun amongst your friends. Yes, I can hear your music leans more towards a more dreamy soundtrack style than the medieval influence of bands like Faun - I love it all though
bladerunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #32
MikComposer

Hello, I've check your stuff on yt and I really like it. If I would suggest anything, I personally would want to hear some deep drums on accents in some of your tunes ( that kind of boomm on 1st note of the one or few bars), to add to the esoteric feel of your music. All Best
Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #33
xpander

Welcome to the forums Priscilla. Beautiful voice and music. Not only you have a fascinating collection of instruments there, kudos for introducing some old traditional ones which are not that widely used anymore even in the country of their origin...like kantele and jouhikko.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #34
EvilDragon

Oh, kantele are used by some quite prominent Finnish metal bands (Amorphis, Ensiferum, Wintersun, etc....)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #35
Yidneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Welcome to the forums, Priscilla! Love your music - very nicely done (I especially love kantele )!
Oh I am so glad you noticed. I love the sound of kantele. I have two )10 and 26 srings), both are gifts of a dear friend (Gerry Henkel from kantele.com I play it my way but I wish I could learn more about the traditional way to do it so I will follow your recommendations. I play way too many things and I don't really master any I'd say, maybe the thing I've played longer is piano/keyboards. but I'm an enthusiastic of new instruments and sounds. I'm still trying to tame my jouhikko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowoTone View Post
Hi Priscilla,

welcome to the forums :-) I'm really blown away by the video and love the many layerd harpish instruments, and obviously the layered vocals!
Thank you, me and Hector are in charge of most of the videos. I am also an illustrator (mostly fantasy) so I cannot help to infuse everything with it. It's my geek side

Quote:
Originally Posted by crootnik View Post
listening to "waking of the spring", at this moment. very nice. I see you are a harpist. You might be interested in our music, we were the 1st band in America to feature a string harpist (1983)... formally on the label Sony Music, now we just write for our pleasure... Art in America is the name of the band......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TISqKu9jwm0

It's always nice to hear music that features string Harp.
Wow that's a lot of experience I am sure. As you can see my technique in the harp is not the "right" one. I was endorsed a little harp by Rees Harps a couple of years ago and now I love it so much that I've slowly learnt on my own and incorporated it in my songs. I really love it, still I have lots of things to learn but so far I'm happy to manage my own compositions and be able to place it here and there. by the way beautiful and gorgeous harp in the pics of the video. I loved the harp solo interludes in it. Good luck with everything, it's encouraging to see that love for music can last so long. I've been already over a decade devoted to music but I hope I'll have what it takes to do it as long as possible. It's something I cannot imagine myself without.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
EvilDragon

Quote:
Oh I am so glad you noticed. I love the sound of kantele. I have two )10 and 26 srings), both are gifts of a dear friend (Gerry Henkel from kantele.com I play it my way but I wish I could learn more about the traditional way to do it so I will follow your recommendations.
Oh, don't follow those if you're not into metal with mostly harsh vocals

I do like these videos where a Japanese woman is playing Koistinen 38 string concert kantele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRaBoiN0_A

Check the other videos on her channel as well!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #37
heda

Hi Pris! I'm glad you finally registered in the forum You see? I told you yes I am that mysterious partner and I've been around this forum for a while now and she asked me why was I in this forum everyday. So I told her it is a good forum full of good people and she should present herself. So I'm happy she did it

I work with Priscilla as co-producer, mixing and mastering. She works very hard and this passion is reflected in every small detail of her art, and I can say I am very lucky to be able to collaborate with and learn from her.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #38
Yidneth

Default I was born in La Palma

Yes, I was born in La Palma, and yes it is such a wild and beautiful place, it's very small though, and if you're into arts, you can get "island fever" after a while though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Welcome Pricilla and friends!

Beautifully mixed and mastered album from one of my very favourite parts of the world: the beautiful Canary Islands.

I can see how much work has gone into both the audio and video production of your music.

Best wishes with your musical endeavours.
Yes, I was born in La Palma, and yes it is such a wild and beautiful place, it's very small though, and if you're into arts, you can get "island fever" after a while though.
Thanks so much for the encouragement, we try to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
WOWI also watched the making of your video (I included the link below for others to also watch it).
OMG (blush)!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #39
Yidneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I can say I am very lucky to be able to collaborate with and learn from her.
It's me who also learn from you, and don't forget this is also your project.

And you were right about the forum, it's been very encouraging, thanks everyone.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #40
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Oh, kantele are used by some quite prominent Finnish metal bands (Amorphis, Ensiferum, Wintersun, etc....)
Yea, while pretty far from calm soundscapes, they surely are used in those bands at least to some effect. I just couldn't quite advertise them though, too close nationality wise for me while maybe too far musically from this here. But that is a nice contradiction, the different uses of the traditional instruments and how well they might fit more than just one style.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote