Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Bevosss
Human being with feelings

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...
Default Syncing Other Programs to REAPER

Syncing Ableton Live to REAPER, Via ReaRoute ASIO and MIDI Sync.

The biggest gripe with rewiring Ableton Live to another daw is VST's aren't supported while rewired.

However, it's possible to sync to Reaper without using Rewire...thus having all your VST's and VSTi's still available in Live.

Here's how you do it:

First, make sure you have ReaRoute installed in Reaper...it's not installed by default, so if you don't have it then make sure you check the box upon installing Reaper.

Then you need to install a virtual midi cable...I chose Midi Yoke for this, available here: http://www.midiox.com/zip/MidiYokeSetup.msi

Open Ableton Live first, otherwise it will detect Reaper and open as a Rewire Slave. Once it's open, then open Reaper.
EDIT: I've actually renamed Ableton's ReWire.dll so that it won't start in ReWire mode, so it's now a lot easier/better to start Reaper first...then I don't have any driver issues with ReaRoute.

Also, make sure this option is UNCHECKED in Reaper before opening:

Options-Preferences-Plugins-'Check for ReWire mixer/device on startup (and automatically enter slave mode if present)'

Insert a track in Reaper, record arm it, select 'monitor input', and click on the track meter and select stereo input-ReaRoute1/ReaRoute2.

Then go to Options-Preferences-Audio-Midi Devices...right click or double click in MIDI outputs, on MIDI Yoke NT: 1, and check 'enabled' and 'Send Clock/SSP to Output'. It looks like this:

Finally, click on the I/O button on the track, and under MIDI Hardware Output, choose MIDI Yoke NT: 1. Here's how it should look:

Tip: check options-Smoothseek, if you want Live to change smoothly on the bar from Reaper.

Righto, that's it for setting up Reaper...now go to Ableton Live's Options-Preferences, click on the MIDI Sync tab, and under Input choose MIDI Yoke NT: 1.

Then under MIDI Ports, alongside MIDI Yoke NT: 1 check the Sync option is ON.

Under the Audio tab, under Audio Device choose ReaRoute ASIO:

Finally, click on the EXT button (External Sync) in the top left of Live's window, 6th button from the left, next to the metronome button. It should all look like this:

Lastly, check that Live's Master Track has ReaRoute1+2 selected as output.

That's it! Now when you hit play in Reaper's Transport, Live will play along in sync...and you still have all the VST goodness in Live.

You can of course go further and route more channels via MIDI Yoke to Live, or have single tracks outputting direct to Live through the other ReaRoute channels, up to you...I'm happy just feeding the master from Live to Reaper, with full VST support...awesome!

Many thanks to my fellow kiwi Jed, who worked this shit out first and took the time to walk me through it! Thanks mate, it really IS better than Rewire!

*Btw, you should still be able to Rewire Reason/Orion/Bidule/Madtracker etc to Live or Reaper at the same time, to make it even more interesting.

Last edited by Bevosss; 12-02-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Bevosss

Default Syncing Renoise To REAPER

Set up Reaper as per the previous Live tutorial, then open Renoise (apparently there's less conflict with the ReaRoute driver, opening in this order).

Click on Edit-Preferences, then on the Audio tab, click on the Device type menu, select ASIO, and in the Device menu select ReaRoute ASIO from the list.

Click on the MIDI tab, and under MIDI Clock Slave - In Device menu, choose MIDI Yoke NT: 1.

Now go to the top left corner buttons, and press the Ext Sync button to the left of the BPM, 'act as MIDI Clock Slave when enabled' will appear in the tooltip.

Done! Renoise will now chase Reaper's transport, outputting audio through track 1 of Reaper...effectively ReWired, for all intents and purposes. It's very smooth and glitch free here, so try it yourself...you'll be very impressed!

Last edited by Bevosss; 10-29-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: [b]Syncing Renoise to Reaper[/b]
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
nicholas

Thanks Bevosss and Jed ... damned clever these Kiwis, eh?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Bevosss

Default Update!

Updated post 2 with a Renoise to Reaper tutorial, plus some added info for the Live tutorial.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
steadyrev

Default G R A T I T U D E

Even though i have neither of the synced programmes, I wish to applaud the effort to demonstrate the awesome possibilities of REAPER!
Thank you, guys! Great work.
Magnificent effort!!
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
S-N-S

nice,was thinking could you make a tutorial on how to proper do this with reaper and madtracker??that would be really cool

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Bevosss

Default ReWiring MadTracker To REAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-S View Post
nice,was thinking could you make a tutorial on how to proper do this with reaper and madtracker??that would be really cool

Setting up MadTracker with Reaper is easy, since madtracker has ReWire support.

Open up Reaper, insert a track, click on the track's fx button, open the ReWire folder in the fx browser, and open ReWire: MadTracker. MadTracker should open automatically, if it doesn't, click on 'show panel'.

Then click on the audio outputs tab of the fx window, to check what audio is routed to Reaper.

I change the outputs all to Ch 1 & 2...

Here's a pic of them playing together ReWired.

Click on the MIDI tab in the fx window, if you have MIDI stuff to route (I don't, so you're on your own). If you create more ReWire tracks in Reaper, you can route the Mactracker tracks to separate tracks in Reaper too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bevosss; 10-30-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #8
politcat

bevoss is top of the charts dude!
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Sleep opposed

i dont use these other programs either, but this is brilliant anyway, nice work guys!

I have been curious about renoise as there seem to be a few cool tricks that it handles well. Maybe i have another app to learn...
Sleep opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
S-N-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Setting up MadTracker with Reaper is easy, since madtracker has ReWire support.

Open up Reaper, insert a track, click on the track's fx button, open the ReWire folder in the fx browser, and open ReWire: MadTracker. MadTracker should open automatically, if it doesn't, click on 'show panel'.

Then click on the audio outputs tab of the fx window, to check what audio is routed to Reaper.

I change the outputs all to Ch 1 & 2...

Here's a pic of them playing together ReWired.

Click on the MIDI tab in the fx window, if you have MIDI stuff to route (I don't, so you're on your own). If you create more ReWire tracks in Reaper, you can route the Mactracker tracks to separate tracks in Reaper too. Hope this helps.

wow thanx meng,that was helpful,thanx again

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
rhythminmind

I am now using Live rerouted into reaper. Besides all the other benefits it has solved a HUGE Live bug. the glithes from some plugin guis bug. I use live ti sequence in and reaper to host the vsti's that cause the problems.
Thank you for the tutorial!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #12
rhythminmind

Well it's doesn't seem to be as good as it seemed.. There is a high midi latency/offset when trying to sync Reaper and live with midiyoke. The host clock are way off. this is a huge problem when trying to sync both timeliness. It get BPM fine but not positional.
One could start 1/2 a measure in or where it wants.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
rhythminmind

Ok well with 2.105 positional information is now being sent over SPP to Live. It is working well. I am also now using maple virtual cable. this might be the reason for the improved performance.

So REAPER + Live slaved to SPP with maple virtual cable + ReaRoute is a winner!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Sparky

Default Renoise sending Midi data to Reaper

Hey Bevoss your tutorials on this thread are impressive to say the least. Is it possible to send midi data to Reaper from Renoise (or Madtracker) and record the midi output rather than sending the audio from Renoise to Reaper?

Cheers
Sparky
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Hey Bevoss your tutorials on this thread are impressive to say the least. Is it possible to send midi data to Reaper from Renoise (or Madtracker) and record the midi output rather than sending the audio from Renoise to Reaper?

Cheers
Sparky
Probably, but I don't use much midi...with Madtracker it's Rewired so I'd say yes, with Renoise, you'll probably need to use midiyoke or similar.

Maybe try the irc help channel for some help, there's some midi power users there...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
dufty pufty

rhythminmind

Quote:
Ok well with 2.105 positional information is now being sent over SPP to Live. It is working well. I am also now using maple virtual cable. this might be the reason for the improved performance.

So REAPER + Live slaved to SPP with maple virtual cable + ReaRoute is a winner!
----

Could you please explain step by step how to do it for dummies or newbies. I need that very much.

Last edited by dufty pufty; 01-24-2009 at 09:42 AM.
dufty pufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
mplay

@dufty

Ive had the same timing issues with midiyoke. If i use maple midi cable instead of midiyoke then ableton wont start if i press play in reaper.

What works for me is the following settings in ableton/pref/midi:

i use midiyoke 'sync' on (and 'track' is off)

and maple midi cable 'track' on (and sync is off)

In reaper preferences i have midiyoke enabled + sync, maple enabled

I dont know why but it works for me

*in the i/o of the rearoute track in reaper i use maple midi cable as midi out

Last edited by mplay; 01-25-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: *
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
audiovoid

Default os x iac

Nice one.
I'm thinking that this must be possible to achieve on osx as well using it's built in Iac midi driver.
Will have to try that out and post the results.

edit:
I just semi successfully pulled it off using Osx's byuilt in Iac midi driver (instead of windows'midi yoke) and using Soundflower audio routing system.
All is well, except for weird latency and seemingly unstable midi clock being spat out by Reaper.
With reaper's master tempo at 120, and Ableton set to sync, I see ableton's greyed out tempo shifting about. Not wildly, but just within 119 and 120 with decimal points.

Last edited by audiovoid; 03-31-2009 at 06:31 PM.
audiovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Mattaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovoid View Post
Nice one.
I'm thinking that this must be possible to achieve on osx as well using it's built in Iac midi driver.
Will have to try that out and post the results.

edit:
I just semi successfully pulled it off using Osx's byuilt in Iac midi driver (instead of windows'midi yoke) and using Soundflower audio routing system.
All is well, except for weird latency and seemingly unstable midi clock being spat out by Reaper.
With reaper's master tempo at 120, and Ableton set to sync, I see ableton's greyed out tempo shifting about. Not wildly, but just within 119 and 120 with decimal points.

Make sure your using Asio driver inside Audio prefs, device settings, ..... this will tighten things up (although still not perfect)........ it did for me. Live bpm needs to chase reaper to stay in time (with reaper) otherwise timing errors accumulate.

On that topic, make sure reaper has been zero'd (double click stop or rewind ) if your trying to set midi clock sync delay (in live) or things can start inconsistantly/out and also if the song is looped, live can struggle to keep timing after reaper loops.

Last edited by Mattaxe; 06-24-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Mattaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
strunkdts

Without beginning a new thread I thought Id breathe some life into this old corpse, as this is what i need, and the only thread which has any relevance to my need ( Im surprised there isnt alot more queries regarding Live and Reaper, and even more surprised that its taken me this long to actually find the real need to use them both at once in this way ), but ReaRoute plays havoc with my ADDA!
Im using an Edirol FA-101. Does anyone know of any tricks or tweaks so I dont get that stutter glitch drop-out freeze thing going on? It occurs when Im not using ReaRoute and just going about my usual creation. I discovered the conflict many releases ago when first wishing to use Reaps with 'Mulch and now avoid that install option like the plague.

Where am I going wrong, what do I need to know? I cant see it.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
strunkdts

No one, huh?

How very interesting/disappointing.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
strunkdts

BaDoink!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
ProFête

is it still working with ableton 10 ? i have problem..
ProFête is offline   Reply With Quote