Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Default How to insert same plugin across multiple tracks?

exactly,
In PT you select the tracks, and then hit Alt+Shift and choose plugin, it will automatically instantiate, The same will happen across ALL tracks if you want..

thanks
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
airon

No.

You're one of the few asking about this, and perhaps one of the very few who might request it. This is a non-shining bit of Reaper I'm afraid.

But on to a solution.

Bring up the Mixer view. Simply click and drag the insert entry to another track to copy it.

The bad part. None of the automation or envelope activations/arming makes it over. Duplicating the track WILL duplicate the activation and arming statuses of the plugins as well.

As far as simple methods like the one in Protools, this is all there is.

You'd do well to prepare track templates with plugins you need, should you require plugin parameter activations and arming, so you can automate stuff efficiently and not go nutes clicking checkboxes.

I use track templates mainly because I can attach any midi/osc knob or button to parameters this way as well and store them in a track template. Click the envelope box when saving a track template.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Judders

Also, if you've already got tracks up, you can copy the fx chain instead of using track templates.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
mikeroephonics

This is possible, but you'll need to make sure you have SWS Extensions installed. Go here if you don't have it already (strongly recommended.)
http://sws.mj-s.com/

You'll need these two Actions:
- SWS/S&M: Copy FX chain from selected tracks
- SWS/S&M: Paste FX chain to selected tracks

Select the Track you wish to copy the FX chain from.
Run "SWS/S&M: Copy FX chain from selected tracks"

Now, select the Tracks which you want to copy the FX chain to.
Run "SWS/S&M: Paste FX chain to selected tracks"

Done!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
This is possible, but you'll need to make sure you have SWS Extensions installed. Go here if you don't have it already (strongly recommended.)
http://sws.mj-s.com/

You'll need these two Actions:
- SWS/S&M: Copy FX chain from selected tracks
- SWS/S&M: Paste FX chain to selected tracks

Select the Track you wish to copy the FX chain from.
Run "SWS/S&M: Copy FX chain from selected tracks"

Now, select the Tracks which you want to copy the FX chain to.
Run "SWS/S&M: Paste FX chain to selected tracks"

Done!

I use these actions, but mostly to copy FX chains between different projects open in tabs.

>
Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
ericzang

Another way, which will insert just one effect (which it seems the original question is asking) is to use the Console from the SWS extensions.

select the tracks, open the console, type: x (this is the add fx command) [plugin name, or at least the unique first letters of your plugin]

I have renamed some commonly inserted plugins (within reapers plugin window) with a two letter prefix so they have a unique name in the beginning.

So far example, I select the tracks, then type:
o(my short cut for the console)xmdy(add fx mdynamiceq)
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #7
Tim Ragnur

Warning, feature idea...
What if the track selection applied to Left drag+Shift on plugins and sends to other tracks, copying to all the selected tracks.
Following the logic of how track selection applies to mute, solo, master/parent send toggle, FX chain toggle, faders and most of all Left drag+Shift on sends (which is genious btw).

That would in some ways be even faster than Protools and yet be very Reaperish.
And Left drag+Shift is unused…

Last edited by Tim Ragnur; 10-22-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Changed a few words for clarification
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
nofish

Yet another way is via SWS (S&M) Resources window - paste FX chain to selected tracks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
Lawrence

I actually thought Reaper did that directly.

What most people want is simple drag and drop, to drop a new plugin from the browser and have it optionally load (with a modifier I suppose) on every selected track. Having to use ReaConsole and all that for something that should probably just happen directly is not a good thing.

As a side note, I recall asking some time back why you can't just drag and drop FX chains directly, why you have to copy and paste them.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

As a side note, I recall asking some time back why you can't just drag and drop FX chains directly, why you have to copy and paste them.
[/quote]

This would make a good MM request. Or maybe a handle on the MCP insert block to mean "all" instead of just a single plugin to drag/copy.

>
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Tim Ragnur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yep, that's another one that would make total sense.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
SamuelC

I belive this can be done in Reaper, but Reaper must be aware of area drag and drop ( many Applications have this)

Basically If I highlight 10 tracks and I have the FX browser open, If I drag an FX into the highlighted Tracks they all should get the same FX since they are all highlighted ( selected)

This is just to load them, you still need to put them in the proper chain place as they load after whatever FX is already on the track.

Many graphics applications would be impossible to use without this feature, it's a very basic GUI area aware feature.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
This would make a good MM request. Or maybe a handle on the MCP insert block to mean "all" instead of just a single plugin to drag/copy.
Yeah, you gotta have something there to grab to drag somewhere i suppose.

In S1 it's just a text label "Inserts" or whatever, moving the mouse over that label turns into a hand allowing you to drag / copy the entire chain. Reaper doesn't have any such text labels or anything there in it's insert slot area to grab so I suppose it would probably be done with a modifier maybe.

It's funny. Between the two of them, S1 & Reaper, they mostly have it all figured out, collectively. They just both missed a few bits that the other covered.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
amoretam

hi people thanks for your ideas..

My question came from my interest in using Waves NLS on every track.
In protools if you select the tracks you want NLS on and use the mentioned keys, NLS will instantiate but it will automatically assign a different console input to every track, (or different preset)..

Now I know i Will to make it manually the first time... No big deal tough

Thanks a lot
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Pook2000

Another related question if I can add?

If you use the same plugin across multiple tracks does this save CPU usage? For instance if you decided to use the Eventide channel strip across multiple tracks does the CPU treat this as multiple individual instances or just the one?

I heard something before to this effect but could be totally wrong, in which case apologies for the stupid question!

Cheers. P.

Last edited by Pook2000; 10-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Pook2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #16
jamesp

If you use multiple instances on separate tracks then it probably won't save CPU usage. If you want the same settings on a number of tracks you could use folder tracks - this often helps with things like backing vocals where all the tracks need the same eq and reverb. Compressing a folder track also works differently to compressing individual tracks and may lead to a more natural sounding result.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
SamuelC

with Waves NLS every channel will have a different elixir sound , so loading Waves NLS channel on every trac makes sense as that is how Waves NLS was moddeled. And In fact it is how Waves NLS should be used.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #18
Pook2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
If you use multiple instances on separate tracks then it probably won't save CPU usage. If you want the same settings on a number of tracks you could use folder tracks - this often helps with things like backing vocals where all the tracks need the same eq and reverb. Compressing a folder track also works differently to compressing individual tracks and may lead to a more natural sounding result.
Excellent. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #19
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook2000 View Post
Excellent. Thank you!
i do this when in the 'chaos of creativity' stage where mix quality isnt the priority, but just be aware if you send 5 backing vocal takes to one EQ via folders, and they all say have a bit too much 300hz in them, you will have 5X too much 300hz for that one EQ to fix.

sorry if stating the obvious..
Old 10-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
Reno.thestraws

Use reaconsole

xpluginname (name in the fx browser, so if you cahnge the name of the plug, you have to use the new one)

Example

xreacomp

You can create cycle action for each plug you want

xpro-Q
x1176

And so on
Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Pook2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
i do this when in the 'chaos of creativity' stage where mix quality isnt the priority, but just be aware if you send 5 backing vocal takes to one EQ via folders, and they all say have a bit too much 300hz in them, you will have 5X too much 300hz for that one EQ to fix.

sorry if stating the obvious..
Not at all. Stating the obvious = clarity = potential. It's often the most obvious that we miss.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated! P.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
Trakz

Ahhhhh you guys answered on my questions. Now if only I can get REAL protools shortcuts imported. I tried 2 keymaps but they were really flawed. Thanks
Trakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #23
Delucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
Another way, which will insert just one effect (which it seems the original question is asking) is to use the Console from the SWS extensions.

select the tracks, open the console, type: x (this is the add fx command) [plugin name, or at least the unique first letters of your plugin]

I have renamed some commonly inserted plugins (within reapers plugin window) with a two letter prefix so they have a unique name in the beginning.

That's brilliant! I use reaconsole to insert FX sometimes and never thought of renaming the plugins, now I can rename my Fabfilter bundle
Delucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
Jack Ruston

Here’s another way to do it:

Create a shortcut for a particular plug in that you typically use in this context - often eq or compression. Select the tracks and hit the key command. Eg for me it’s ctrl num1 for eq.

J
Old 04-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #25
Buy One

There's now also a script available in ReaPack

be sure to read the guide inside

-----------------------------------

The native feature, referenced by juliansader below only allows adding single FX from FX browser, the script is much more versatile + supports input FX

Last edited by Buy One; 04-04-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Buy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #26
juliansader

This has been implemented as a native feature some months ago. Just right-click on the FX and select "Add to selected tracks" (or even "Add to selected items").
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:36 AM   #27
Amparitoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
This has been implemented as a native feature some months ago. Just right-click on the FX and select "Add to selected tracks" (or even "Add to selected items").
hello, I don't know if something should be activated in preferences for you to get this option, as it doesn't appear to me. I hope you can help me
Amparitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:57 AM   #28
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amparitoo View Post
hello, I don't know if something should be activated in preferences for you to get this option, as it doesn't appear to me. I hope you can help me
I think it has to be done in the FX browseer.....not in the right click quick select list.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:15 AM   #29
Amparitoo

thanks Stella

Now I did find it !! Thank you very much, although it does not help me much, because the goal would be to be able to do it in the mixer by copying the same settings to different tracks. Right now all I can do is copy them one by one. Or create an action for each different plugin, one job
Amparitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #30
ramses

Quote:
thanks Stella

Now I did find it !! Thank you very much, although it does not help me much, because the goal would be to be able to do it in the mixer by copying the same settings to different tracks. Right now all I can do is copy them one by one. Or create an action for each different plugin, one job
A quick way to do it is to save the preset of the plugin that you want to copy as default. Now, if you add it to selected tracks, the settings will be there. It's not ideal, perhaps, but as a quick fix it works.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
DogBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post

WOW!

Thanks for this TIP!!!

Is there a list of commands??
DogBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #32
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBBQ View Post
Is there a list of commands??
https://www.sws-extension.org/reaconsole.php
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #33
bucca

gone thru all alphabet letters led me to made me a list.
some letters seems to be unused. would love to find out how to link those to something one would often use. if somebody know. appreciate you'll gimme a hand on.

edit: fish ... why so late? - thx

Last edited by bucca; 09-15-2021 at 05:20 PM.
bucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #34
DogBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Thanks looks like "o, m, a and x" for me!
Old 09-16-2021, 04:21 AM   #35
juliansader

Quote:
thanks Stella

As mikeroephonics wrote above, The SWS actions to copy/paste FX chains can do this easily. (If you don't want to copy each and every FX from the source track, you can just temporarily delete the unwanted FX before copying, and then undo the deletion before pasting.)

Alternatively, using REAPER's own actions:
* Open the FX window for the source track, select the FXs, then in the FX window's menubar run FX > Save selected FX as chain.
* Select all the target tracks, open the Add FX windows, go to "FX Chains" in the list on the left, right-click the chain that you just saved, and select "Add to selected tracks".

Or try the script that Buy_One mentioned above.

Last edited by juliansader; 09-16-2021 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:45 AM   #36
bigjoe

If i understood the question, the same FX can be inserted to any number of tracks natively, without SWS or console commands.
Just select the tracks (all or any number) open the FX window, right click on the plugin you want to add and select “add FX to selected tracks”.
And that’s it.

Now you have an instance of the same plugin in every track that was selected upon insertion of the effect.

I hope i don’t screwed up my answer by misunderstanding the question

Joe
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #37
bazz02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
If i understood the question, the same FX can be inserted to any number of tracks natively, without SWS or console commands.
Just select the tracks (all or any number) open the FX window, right click on the plugin you want to add and select “add FX to selected tracks”.
And that’s it.

Now you have an instance of the same plugin in every track that was selected upon insertion of the effect.

Joe
Works perfect here and in Waves NLS adds different instances in each track.Great time saver.
bazz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #38
juliansader

Quote:
The OP just wanted to insert the same FX in multiple tracks, but Amparitoo asked whether it would be possible to copy FX with their settings to multiple tracks.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #39
poetnprophet

nobody has mentioned, but if you are in the FX browser you can right click any plugin and create a "shortcut". It is then added to the action list.

You would then either assign a toolbar button or assign to a midi controller.

Then, you can select tracks and click the button (wither arrange or mixer) and the plugin will insert on selected tracks.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #40
DogBBQ

Quote:
And that’s it.

Big Joe Once again you state the obvious

Always forget about the "Right Click" So much functionality built into it!!

I feel like a rookie

Everyday I learn more than I know!!

Thanks

Now how can I apply this to MONO Tracks.......... NOOOOOOOOOOOO