Old 09-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #41
Chris D
Human being with feelings

Hey Patrick,
I have been trying to get an X32 to talk to Reaper with your OSC utility and have had success one way but not the other. No matter what I try, including 2 different consoles, I can get the console to effect Reaper but not the other way around. All the ip's etc. are the same and everything is how you list it in the documentation but it does not seem to communication from Reaper to the console no matter what I try.
Any idea what I might be missing. A special setting Reaper, computer, the OSC file, or the console should have?
Chris
Chris D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #42
Dommedagsprofet

Can't get this to work either. I don't understand the config.

I got my X32 connected via USB. Normal Mackie Control Universal works fine and transferring sound and everything. What's the deal with IP addresses? Am I supposed to connect the console via Ethernet instead?

I would very, very much like this to work!

Last edited by Dommedagsprofet; 09-26-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Dommedagsprofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #43
Chris D

I am running it via ethernet and it works fine from Console to Reaper, but not from Reaper to Console.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:54 AM   #44
Travesty

Will any of this work with the new xtouch controller?
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #45
Chris D

After watching the video below from Patrick I think I have figured out where I went wrong in assigning IP's. I will give it a try and hopefully solve my problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7T...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for doing this one Patrick, it makes the configuration much clearer.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:11 AM   #46
Dommedagsprofet

All right!! Got it working! Of course it was using Ethernet. This I can use for maany things...

Only thing I'm wondering about, is if it's possible using input fader bank 2, marked ch17-32 on the console, for controlling 17-32 in Reaper. Or maybe custom assignments? I've used the X32 a lot for live mixing, and I'd love the X32 system to be as close to Reaper as possible. Like actually using the bus faders on the X32 for actual buses in Reaper. That would be wonderful. ^^

But anyway, this is a looong step in the right direction! 24 input faders + master all motorized! And the response in both directions is really quick too!

Thank you, Patrick!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:53 AM   #47
nolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommedagsprofet View Post
All right!! Got it working! Of course it was using Ethernet. This I can use for maany things...

Only thing I'm wondering about, is if it's possible using input fader bank 2, marked ch17-32 on the console, for controlling 17-32 in Reaper. Or maybe custom assignments? I've used the X32 a lot for live mixing, and I'd love the X32 system to be as close to Reaper as possible. Like actually using the bus faders on the X32 for actual buses in Reaper. That would be wonderful. ^^
have you seen the 1.4 video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L1a...ature=youtu.be
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:00 AM   #48
Dommedagsprofet

lol thanks! Sorry for overlooking that.

I don't think my life can be better right now! (Well, unless Patrick found a way to control gate, comp and EQ in Reaper from the channel strip on the X32. Then heaven would be waiting! )

Last edited by Dommedagsprofet; 09-27-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #49
Dommedagsprofet

Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of this now.

However: What do I do with the system sound signal? Now, the Ch1 and Ch2 faders on the X32 control both the Windows system sound and the first two faders in Reaper!

The reason for this is that system sound is returned on Card 01 and Card 02. As far as I can tell, there's no way to change that in the X-UF Control Panel.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Think I found an okay compromise. A bit tired now, so I'm not 100% sure I'll not run into other problems, but what I did was swap Ch1 and Ch2, and Ch31 and Ch32 routing both on the X32 and in the routing matrix in Reaper.

Last edited by Dommedagsprofet; 10-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #50
PeeWee

Default X32Reaper, count me in!

Quote:
Hi Patrick,

finally I got me a fullsize X32 for my Studio (and soon another -Rack version for my workplaces on stage as a keyboarder).

I was writing already comments into your youtube channel a whole while ago, and one post in the Reaper<->X32 thread in the cockos forums after you have published V1.4.

Now I am at the point to implement all the stuff into my environment, and I don't only want to say you a giant thank you for your hard work, unfortunately some few questions are left for me.
I hope you can help me with that - I have no clue how many people are bothering you, and how annoying it is.

So here we go straight away:

- Actually I was planning to take an old laptop I have spare in the middle to handle both the X32Reaper and the X32-Edit (from Behringer) between the board and the DAW. Due to its age (HP/Compaq 6720s, Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 @1.80 GHz x2), and due to the fact that all the software I need is availabe for Linux also, I decided to set up a Linux system (Ubuntu 14), although I am quite a noob on Linux.
I have downloaded the Linux version of X32Reaper, figured how to start it after half a day (---> ./ <---!), made the *.ReaperOSC file, set all parameters as accurate as I could on all 3 machines, but I think it doesn't work as it should.
Before I go deeper into troubleshooting, I just want to make sure if the Linux command line version (which shows V1.1) is supposed to work with the settings in the ReaperOSC file.
I am suspecting these settings are for the new Windows version 1.4, am I right?

- Since I don't like how the parameters in the Linux command line version must be set (or confirmed) after every reboot, is it possible to run the win version 1.4 from Wine?

Maybe doing all that from Linux is BS, maybe I should get me an old XP and start it from there. I have also considered taking a RPi in the middle, but basically that's the same, I would need an additional screen as well, and beside all that the new Win versions always will come out first, so ...

That's it for now. I'm curious about your opinion - and I'm thrilled how the X32 will be in the studio ...! Ugh, the wifey calls me, gtg to bed, lol

Later, Pete

-----------------------

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind words. X32Reaper has been keeping me busy some time ago and the fact some pro studios are using it is very cool. Now things are … calm ;-)

I have installed REAPER on ubuntu/wine and got it to work quite well, despite some hiccups sometimes due to Jack audio instabilities.

I admit it’s easier to use under Windows. I have plans to move the configuration under a file that will be read at startup for the linux version of X32Reaper. This is still not the case in ver 1.1 which uses the old, painful way of setting parameters and does not support the extra control banks available in ver 1.4.

I don’t have access to my ubuntu setup but can compile on a linux system at work so that could be OK. The latest *.REAPEROSC file is valid for all versions of X32Reaper, it’s really to tell REAPER how to talk to the X32Reaper program, from the REAPER side.

I would not bother with a Raspberry, I tested it for fun, but it really does not add anything interesting to a PC environment, even if the PC is “old”/slow.

Let me know if a linux version of X32Reaper brought to version 1.4 is of interest, I can speed up a little this. (I just finished a multi threaded TCP/IP server-client environment for a user who didn’t want to deal with UDP and needed multi-client access to X32.

Best Regards,
-Patrick

-----------------------

Hi Patrick,

thank you very much for answering and caring!

I think (yet) making a 1.4 Linux version is not necessary since the Win version seems to run stable under Linux/Wine and installing it like that was not really a big deal. I just need to fix some final issues:

Somehow I messed the network settings totally up, but at least I got it working in one direction now. I can control the X32 when I move Reapers faders.

I guessed and tried even combinations that don't make sense, but I rather think it's one tiny detail that's missing or set wrong I have overseen somehow.
I would be glad if you could take a quick look at my settings, but while I'm typing this I was just thinking - is it okay for you to go with our conversation to the Reaper Forum? So we can share it with the other guys?

Just shoot me a quick thumb-up message, and I will copy the convo, paste it into a post in the X32<->Reaper thread and proceed there.

Later, Pete

-----------------------

Yep. No problem.
-Patrick

-----------------------
... and here we go.

My Router:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

My X32:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

My old Linux Laptop, running Patricks app:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

My DAW computer with Reaper:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

The settings in Patricks app:
Enter X32 IP below: 192.168.3.2
[REAPER]HOST IP: 192.168.3.4
[REAPER] Send to Port: 10025
[REAPER] Recv on Port: 10027
At the bottom the channels assigned like recommended, for channels, auxes, FXs, etc. (see attached pictures for details)

The settings in Reaper:
Receive on port 10027 Host IP 192.168.3.3
Send to port 10025 Device IP 192.168.3.4
(see attached pictures for the other details)

The X32.ReaqperOSC is a 1:1 copy of the file included in the latest X32Reaper.zip; Channel count was and is set to 155.

------------------------

I have just noticed that the gateway in the router was set to 192.168.3.4 and I just set it to 192.168.3.1. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem, the connection still goes only in one direction.

Any ideas?

Greetz to all, Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-22 23.59.37.jpg (62.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-23 00.00.35.jpg (55.6 KB, 422 views)
Old 10-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #51
Patrick-Gilles Maillot

Hello Pete,

Sounds to me you have a small mistake in the settings below:
[REAPER]HOST IP: 192.168.3.4

should be:
[REAPER]HOST IP: 192.168.3.3 <-------

indeed the REAPER host IP is your linux system running REAPER, not the system running the X32Reaper utility.

Hope this helps!,
-Patrick
Patrick-Gilles Maillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #52
Patrick-Gilles Maillot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommedagsprofet View Post
lol thanks! Sorry for overlooking that.

I don't think my life can be better right now! (Well, unless Patrick found a way to control gate, comp and EQ in Reaper from the channel strip on the X32. Then heaven would be waiting! )
... It may be possible, but I'm not sure it would be very practical. The structure of X32 is really not as what you find on an analog mixer layout or REAPER (basically the same). You really have to make sure your channel is selected before applying EQ/gate/.../FX changes. to control REAPER, that can make it cumbersome.

-Patrick
Old 10-26-2015, 04:13 AM   #53
PeeWee

Thanks for replying, Patrick.

I have tried the setting you have mentioned already, I think it was even the first attempt, since it makes most sense to me too. Unfortunately the system doesn't connect at all, even not in one direction. Also the "Connect/Run" button doesn`t show "Running ...", it stays at "Connect/Run".

I have seen "Running ..." the very first time when I had the setting like in my initial post, and got the one direction connection.

BTW, the DAW computer is no Linux system, it's a custom XP. Linux is only on the Laptop in the middle and it's only running your app.
Just saying, I don't think that's important.

Cheers, Pete
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #54
Patrick-Gilles Maillot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Thanks for replying, Patrick.

I have tried the setting you have mentioned already, I think it was even the first attempt, since it makes most sense to me too. Unfortunately the system doesn't connect at all, even not in one direction. Also the "Connect/Run" button doesn`t show "Running ...", it stays at "Connect/Run".

I have seen "Running ..." the very first time when I had the setting like in my initial post, and got the one direction connection.

BTW, the DAW computer is no Linux system, it's a custom XP. Linux is only on the Laptop in the middle and it's only running your app.
Just saying, I don't think that's important.

Cheers, Pete
Hi Pete,

The config I gave is correct. What I can think of:

option 1 - Wine - Maybe running X32Reaper under wine is not a good idea (never tried it). Can you give a shot at the linux version (currently ver 1.1 but I can work out a ver 1.4 quickly as I have already started)?

option 2 - the Windows version is not suited to run on a 3rd system; I haven't tried (don't remember in fact) to run the windows version on a 3rd system. Did try with the Linux/raspberry version, but not the Windows GUI one, and the network programming was quite stripped off to bring it to the bare minimal.
If your REAPER runs on a windows system, run the windows version using the REAPER IP as the Host IP. If your REAPER runs on a Linux system, use the Linux version 1.1; again, I'll have a 1.4 equiv version very soon.

edit: re-read your post; your DAW/REAPER is a windows system, then run the windows version of X32Reaper on that same system, won't hurt your CPU for audio. your config should then be:

The settings in X32Reaper app:
[REAPER]HOST IP: 192.168.3.3 <-----------where REAPER runs

The settings in Reaper:
Receive on port 10027 Host IP 192.168.3.3
Send to port 10025 Device IP 192.168.3.3 <-------where X32Reaper runs

Let me know,
-Patrick

Last edited by Patrick-Gilles Maillot; 10-26-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added config for running X32Reaper on the same Windows REAPER is running on
Old 10-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #55
PeeWee

Win V1.4 Runs fine on the DAW system, will test Linux V1.1 on the middle-laptop when I'm there again
Old 10-29-2015, 04:40 AM   #56
PeeWee

Linux V1.1 doesn't run on the middle laptop. [Edit: It does run of course, but doesn't connect, sorry]

From the laptop I can ping the X32 with an average of 0.3ms and the DAW Windows system with an average of 0.6ms.

X32-Edit (Linux version) also works, btw.

Last edited by PeeWee; 10-29-2015 at 03:24 PM.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #57
Patrick-Gilles Maillot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Linux V1.1 doesn't run on the middle laptop. [Edit: It does run of course, but doesn't connect, sorry]

From the laptop I can ping the X32 with an average of 0.3ms and the DAW Windows system with an average of 0.6ms.

X32-Edit (Linux version) also works, btw.
I just released a v1.5 for Mac & Windows (very minor change for Windows). The Mac (console app) version runs fine, the Windows (GUI and console version) do too. I'll compile a linux 1.5 too. Same code... It definitely should work.

-Patrick
Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #58
PeeWee

... and here I found finally a (dedicated) transport controller to combine with the X32. Seems like it is brand new on the market.

https://www.asparion.de/de/electronics/d400.html
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #59
coronabeer

Default problem x32reaper

Hello i have a problem with x32 reaper i am on windows 10 i download x32reaper on your page and watch and read the pdf i watched the video also from michael, s and did everything as it shows it and install sws-extension When I go in preference control surface I add control surface mode osc open sound control and after pattern config I take x32 and all of a sudden error message comes to me (osc config file warning ... warning possible parsing config file error x32 "" What can I do to correct this problem?
coronabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #60
larryJ

Default x32 Matrix Support?

I see a 2015 entry here where Patrick hinted as possibly adding x32 Matrix support in X32Reaper...is that something that is still possible for the future? Right now I am using X32Reaper to allow me to use a Web interface I wrote for Reaper to allow me to manage mutes and unmutes via a state table in Excel....for theater use...without having to mess with cues, snippets, scenes safes and limited ability to reorganize or have huge numbers of combos... Yes, I can get by without messing with mutes at the matrix level, but it would complete the set of capabilities and be handy. BTW this gets around the Mac issue of not being to do cues in the x32 GUI there...just use Reaper as a middle-man not in the audio flow but just to turn on and off mutes...very powerful because now you can write your own or use my or others web interfaces for Repaer to control the X32 which does not have a web interface itself. SWEET. BTW, THANK YOU for writing this interface. It is very nice! My web stuff is documented at the Reaper link form WorkWebs.com if interested.
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #61
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Im about to enter this family with an M32 and DL32, is this still the software to use?

https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 11-12-2018 at 12:46 PM.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #62
mschnell

Do you intend to use the X32 as a control Surface for Reaper ?

Did you also check "CSI" by Geoff ? -> (Monster-Thread) https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:06 AM   #63
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Id like to if I can. Do I even need this stuff in this thread to do that? I dont know where on the CSI thread to look and its pretty long! Is there something finished in that already? I went to the website and didnt see anything to download
Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #64
mschnell

You should ask in the thread about the state of the X32 support. Geoff always is very helpful.

-Michael
Old 11-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #65
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Is anyone else using this? I could use some setup help
Old 02-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #66
jacksoonbrowne

Hi Patrick, I am a senior software engineer at my company and will be retiring in 11 months.
I have also been a part time musician for 40+ years and have a basement studio.

For my retirement I have decided to train my self on learning Oscii-Bot programming.

I have an X32, REAPER(OSC)<==>X32(OSC), and am working on a project to use Oscii-Bot with Reaper and the X32 to suit my own workflow.

Things are going well except for one thing:
I noticed that the X32 does not perform any actions when
it receives an OSC #bundle packet.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA, Jack
jacksoonbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #67
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoonbrowne View Post
Hi Patrick, I am a senior software engineer at my company and will be retiring in 11 months.

For my retirement I have decided to train my self on learning Oscii-Bot programming.

I have an X32, REAPER(OSC)<==>X32(OSC), and am working on a project to use Oscii-Bot with Reaper and the X32 to suit my own workflow.

Things are going well except for one thing:

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA, Jack

this sounds like a good project.. will you make it available to others once you have it working ? I have been trying to decipher ways to connect Reaper to other devices via OSCii Bot.. I managed to get basic connections to RME UFX and Totalmix but I would also like a way to connect my X32..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 02-09-2021 at 07:08 AM.
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #68
mschnell

Quote:

I am in quite the same situation, only that I already half-time retired an my little studio is parterre .

I did some OSCIIBot programming to attach a Behringer XR32 to my Reaper (Live instrument) setup.

What do you mean by "OSC #bundle packet" ?

-Michael
Old 02-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #69
jacksoonbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What do you mean by "OSC #bundle packet" ?
-Michael
OSC spec allows a single UDP packet to contain a single OSC message:

<UDP HEADER>
/ch/03/mix/fader 0.760

OSC spec also allows a single UDP packet to contain multiple OSC messages, this is called a bundle:

<UDP HEADER>
#bundle
/ch/03/mix/fader 0.760
/ch/03/mix/on 1.000
<etc..>

What I have found is the the X32 will react to single message UDP packets, but seems to ignore bundle packets.

Oscii-bot can coalesce multiple "oscsend()" internally and send a single bundle to the X32, and the X32 ignores the bundle

Last edited by jacksoonbrowne; 02-09-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #70
EcBaPr

what is the benefit of sending a bundle as opposed to multiple single packets ?
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #71
jacksoonbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
what is the benefit of sending a bundle as opposed to multiple single packets ?
Not sure why OSC spec'd bundles, but I think it was a way to reduce UDP packets.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #72
jacksoonbrowne

The X32 will ignore any UDP Packet it receives that is an OSC #bundle.
I have found that OSCII-Bot can and some times will send #bundles

Not sure how I can make Oscii-Bot NOT send #bundles but send them as single messages
Old 02-09-2021, 11:50 PM   #73
mschnell

Quote:
Oscii-bot can coalesce multiple "oscsend()" internally and send a single bundle to the X32, and the X32 ignores the bundle
Really ?!?!?
I think it's unlikely that OSCIIBot does such complex unnecessary stuff.
I don't think I have such issue with the XR18. but i did not use wireshark on that, so I don't know any details.
Maybe you should search and ask in the OSCIIBot forum. I had a lot of very interesting discussions there.
-Michael
Old 02-10-2021, 12:00 AM   #74
jacksoonbrowne

Quote:
Really ?!?!?
I think it's unlikely that OSCIIBot does such complex unnecessary stuff.
I use wire-shark to dissect the UDP messages.
And I can easily see when Oscii-Bot sends a #bundle messages
Old 02-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #75
mschnell

So seemingly the XR18 does handle those correctly.

-Michael
Old 02-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #76
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
So seemingly the XR18 does handle those correctly.

-Michael
Maybe the XR18 behaviour described on https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199886 possibly was this bundling?

To try and link closely related threads, see also the parallel thread on the same OSC bundling topic https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=249314
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #77
mschnell

Seemingly I am prone to Alzheimer's not remembering my own findings.

In fact this seems closely related to the issue discussed here.

I in fact still do use the @timer event do send the messages to the XR18.

Obviously, sleep() did not help in OSCIIBot, as it simply stalls the process and does not prevent the concatenation / bundling. But with @timer the process goes on working in between and sends separate messages.

I did not use Wireshark to do an in-depth investigation .

Perhaps, indeed, the Behringers don't recognize bundled messages.

OTOH, I don't really see a decent advantage with bundled messages, so maybe it would be good if they could be disabled in Reaper and OSCIIBot.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-16-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:08 AM   #78
mschnell

I suppose the bundle option is introduced to allow for a very tight timing with multiple OSC messages in certain (supposedly rare) cases.

Hence I think we should request that bundling can be switched off as well in reaper' OSC-send mechanism as in OSCIIBot.

-Michael
Old 02-18-2021, 05:50 AM   #79
jacksoonbrowne

Since the X32 won't accept UDP #bundle's,
I have started to build a c++ app that will sit between Oscii-Bot
and the X32 that will: "unbundle" any UDP #bundle's received from Oscii-Bot and send them to the X32 as multiple UDP single messages.

I am hoping to have a beta in about two weeks
Old 02-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #80
goldenarpharazon

Good luck with the bundling transformation bridge.

All this comes about since
  • Bundling's behaviour is not very precisely specified in the OSC 1.0 specification
  • Bundling is an interesting but incomplete idea attempting to deal with time synchronisation, message ordering and packet efficiency. Resolving this incompleteness of idea seems to have dwindled by around 2006 so it remains unresolved to this day.
  • Both receivers and senders can decide whether or not, and how to use bundling and nesting in bundles.
As a result none of the following options are perfect in dealing the challenge of OSC bundling in a software package (as opposed to a custom written programme with its own raw OSC I/O)
  1. Implement bundling or not according to hard coded programmatic rules (as done by OSCII-bot)
  2. Implement bundling or not according to user definable configuration (the rules would be complicated and depend on OSC data structures)
  3. Disable bundling as a sender (reducing throughput of OSC or it will be inadequate if a receiver requires bundles)
Ideally, to give the maximum chance of interoperability working with a sender, OSC receivers in commercial products should process both bundles and messages, but this is not done hence the X32 challenge.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote