Old 11-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
keyboardmatt
Human being with feelings

Default Global Quantize Setting

This is hard to put into words, but I will try my best.

I like how in the session view, Ableton Live allows me to arm an audio track while the song is playing and the track starts recording at the start of the next measure of the song, or however the global quantize button is set.

This is great if you're looping a part of the song and you want to overdub audio loops in realtime.

Reaper could have a global quantize option that would make tracks start recording only at the start of a new measure (or other time length) as long as the record arm button is pressed before it starts the beginning of the measure of the selection or project. I can already do something similar by going to loop selection auto punch, but this option doesn't allow me to arm and dis-arm tracks, directly at the start of a loop, as a looped selection plays.

I don't think it would be to hard to program because all that has to be done is to make the track wait a measure (or other time length) before it starts recording.

This feature could be implemented with a global quantize setting; if it is set at a measure, tracks would record only at the start of the next measure in the project. When the tracks are dis-armed, they would stop recording at the end of the current measure. All of this would be, of course, while the song is playing. This would give Reaper the main functions of a hardware looper or Ableton live. If the global quantize setting is set to off, then tracks would be recorded normally, as if this setting never existed.

Let's say the transport record was pressed and the song was playing. If the global quantize setting was set to a measure, then once a track is armed the record arm button would blink. Once the next measure was reached, the track would start recording. Once the track is dis-armed (as the song is playing), the track would wait until the end of the current measure to stop recording.

This feature would be like snap recording. So instead of just snap editing, there would be snap recording, so individual songwriters and musicians can get there jiggy on, in realtime as the song is playing.

I think this would open up a whole new user base for reaper. What do you think?

Last edited by keyboardmatt; 11-15-2007 at 04:35 PM.
keyboardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
keyboardmatt

Well, I just discovered the smooth-seeking option, so that is most of what I was looking for.

But, it would also be nice to add something like a record-arm smooth-seeking option, that would snap the record-arm and dis-arm to the smooth-seeking setting, so that once I arm a track, it waits until the start of the selected marker/region/measure, and then starts recording at that point. And once I disarm a track, it stops recording at the end of the currently selected marker/region/measure, all as the song is playing.

What this would change is that it would allow your audio loop to be exactly the right length, without worrying about unwanted takes being created, or trying to punch-in and punch-out at the exactly right time, when trying to record using the smooth-seeking option.
keyboardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
catscandal

very well put. this would rock.
catscandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Yes, I'd like that, too. It would also help to avoid these fraction-items that occur at the end of loop recording. ++1
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote