Old 11-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
NowoTone
Human being with feelings

Default Remix of "Starting Line" by Elli Espi

I decided to try my hand at something completely different for a change and made a remix of the song "Starting Line" by Elli Espi. Completely done in "Reaper", of course:

https://soundcloud.com/nowo/elli-esp...owntempo-remix

The original is a beautiful, very reduced song with just vocals and an acoustic guitar accompaniment. Listening to it I thought there was a very melancholic, even haunting quality to the song.

https://soundcloud.com/elliespi/elli...4-re12-main-l2

I decided to emphasize these vibes I got from the song, by reducing the speed and selecting the sounds accordingly. My first version was also very reduced, but it made me feel that it didn't add too much to the song, so I decided to throw a few more sounds at it, while trying to achieve the atmosphere I had in my head. I was quite surprised with how many tracks I ended up with, starting from 8 vocal tracks (2 stereo, 6 mono), 5 drum tracks + Maschine, plus oodles of bass, synth tracks and finally 5 sound FX tracks with assorted effect samples on them. Altogether, not counting busses, but counting drum & synth tracks from Maschine, there are over 50 tracks, which makes this one of my biggest songs in terms of track number.

I'm very happy with the result, as is Elli, but I would really appreciate any comments from you - be it positive or negative criticism.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
NowoTone

... no comments at all? I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
karbomusic

Sounds great to me. Listening to the original, the small inflections in the voice account for a lot of the emotion so a remix needs to be done carefully. I think you did a great job though.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
NowoTone

Thanks for the feedback, Karbo, glad you enjoyed it.