Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
sammydix
Human being with feelings

Default New mix, old song

i haven't had much 'music time' lately, but i try make room for my mixing fix when i get the urge.
this is a song i posted over 2 yrs ago and i felt deserved an updated mix to all i've learned since then. it's not perfect--as i hope to find out--but it's a far cry from where i was mix-wise back then.
musicians include the bassist from my old band (our first time playing together in over 10 years), and Stan Gadziola who's played guitar on several songs i've posted.

https://app.box.com/s/5yim4v64e98s3tkwocpf

Demetrius Hill: funky ass bass
Me: skanky rhythm guitar, occasional acoustic, and all vocals except scat.
Stan Gadziola: all lead guitars, harp, and scat vocals.
FreddyJam: live drums (he sent me his drums as a stereo trk, so not much i could do about indiv elements).

For the morbidly curious, the original mix:
https://app.box.com/s/qvblvndiocqcak3ywetp
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
kindafishy

Two years... wow. It really doesn't seem that long ago.

This mix sounds great. Everything is much cleaner, fuller, has more dimension and is much more balanced. Definitely a big improvement all around. That's not to say I don't like the original mix, I do. This new one is just an improvement.

I do find that the vocals kind of alternately jump out a bit and get a little buried at other times, so maybe more compression (or a second stage of compression)? Maybe not though. It's only really a couple spots where I noticed it so maybe just a bit of fader riding would do it.

The vibe of the mix is great too. Sounds awesome, Sammy.

Stan is just killer too. All the players on this tune are awesome.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
LOSANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
i haven't had much 'music time' lately, but i try make room for my mixing fix when i get the urge.
this is a song i posted over 2 yrs ago and i felt deserved an updated mix to all i've learned since then. it's not perfect--as i hope to find out--but it's a far cry from where i was mix-wise back then.
musicians include the bassist from my old band (our first time playing together in over 10 years), and Stan Gadziola who's played guitar on several songs i've posted.

https://app.box.com/s/5yim4v64e98s3tkwocpf

Demetrius Hill: funky ass bass
Me: skanky rhythm guitar, occasional acoustic, and all vocals except scat.
Stan Gadziola: all lead guitars, harp, and scat vocals.
FreddyJam: live drums (he sent me his drums as a stereo trk, so not much i could do about indiv elements).

For the morbidly curious, the original mix:
https://app.box.com/s/qvblvndiocqcak3ywetp
Great mix overall! But, I think you put more elements on the left side than on the right side. I don't know if it will be better to bring the guitar closer to the center when it has no counter balance on the right side of the stereo, the voice as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
mschuster

Great groove! dig it! the harp and scat is spectacular!
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Two years... wow. It really doesn't seem that long ago.

This mix sounds great. Everything is much cleaner, fuller, has more dimension and is much more balanced. Definitely a big improvement all around. That's not to say I don't like the original mix, I do. This new one is just an improvement.

I do find that the vocals kind of alternately jump out a bit and get a little buried at other times, so maybe more compression (or a second stage of compression)? Maybe not though. It's only really a couple spots where I noticed it so maybe just a bit of fader riding would do it.

The vibe of the mix is great too. Sounds awesome, Sammy.

Stan is just killer too. All the players on this tune are awesome.
hey Kevin. that thing about the 'vibe' was *exactly* what i was shooting for, so glad to hear it came thru at least enough you would hear it, even if i didn't get it 100%.

every one of us has prob listened to an old mix and went "man, i can do better than that now." and i thought everybody performed so well that it deserved at least a little better. you already know i rarely listen my old songs, but saw Demetrius in a lost folder and gave it a listen. i heard those plastic sounding vocals, whinced, and went, "hell nawl!". thus, the re-mix.

you're most likely right about the compression, i'm just not aggressive enough and gotta stop being such a wuss.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSANO View Post
Great mix overall! But, I think you put more elements on the left side than on the right side. I don't know if it will be better to bring the guitar closer to the center when it has no counter balance on the right side of the stereo, the voice as well.
you know, i never noticed that, but after reading what you wrote, i heard it--more so vocally than musically, but i did hear it in both.

now i'll be more attentive balance-wise.
appreciate that!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #7
hamish

This is really spectacularly funky crazy in the vein of fishbone. A recent funk band doing adventurous stuff is 'Ava Luna' (found out about them via weathervane/shaking through), but they sound a little 'conservatorium' whereas this just sounds 100% authentic funky bad-ass. The harp is extra awesome.

I remember the version 2 years ago but I haven't compared the mixes. To busy following what's going on in the playing...
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
Great groove! dig it! the harp and scat is spectacular!
that's pure Stan the man. i still wonder why he's not a pro session musician; he plays every damned thing and WELL. vocally, he can hit notes i only dream about. he admires my songwriting and vocal arrangements, and i admire his musician skills, so except for Kevin, i've done more collabs with him than anybody.

but he's from that 'other' site, so pretty much all collaborations now will be pure Reaperdom folk when i can start doing more music again. wanna keep it in the fam.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
This is really spectacularly funky crazy in the vein of fishbone. A recent funk band doing adventurous stuff is 'Ava Luna' (found out about them via weathervane/shaking through), but they sound a little 'conservatorium' whereas this just sounds 100% authentic funky bad-ass. The harp is extra awesome.

I remember the version 2 years ago but I haven't compared the mixes. To busy following what's going on in the playing...
my old band got that Fishbone thing sometimes too, and i never understood it with the band (we were more rock with a touch of prog.), but i can sort of hear on this. gotta go to YT to check out Ava.

the harp was a surprise. generally, when i collaborate with somebody, i just say, "i'd like you to play X instrument, but do whatever the hell you want." So Stan gave me not one, but 3 guitar parts and threw in the harp and scat as a bonus. Of course i kept everything! he did the two ending leads originally for me to chose the one i liked best, but i liked them both and edited them to the little dual thing. i hated chopping off parts of either, but i wanted a taste of both.

thx Ham.

Last edited by sammydix; 12-13-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Dream Of Sleeping

Sounds great to me. I really like it.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
karbomusic

Nice jam for sure. I thought the drums sounded a little puffy at first but it fits the tune fine so all good. I think I remember hearing this the first time around as well. Speaking of Fishbone, I saw those guys live a time or two in the 90s. One was a club IIRC and the other 1992's Lollapalooza. I was following them around the same time I was following Mr. Bungle among other cool ass bands of the time.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Gerry

I love the vibe on this. Does it for me, thanks for the music and don't change a thing.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
heda

The song is great, but you should be careful. This music is very good to have some bad technical mistakes.

You should clean a bit the noise on some tracks. For example at 10 seconds time, you can clearly hear a lot of noise on the incoming vocal track. Also at the very end of the song you can hear the noise.

The mix is unbalanced in the frequencies. Too much bass and lack midtones. It sounds good in flat studio monitors but not in regular people's equipments because they already boost those bass and high frequencies. I know this kind of music the bass is very important but it is maybe masking some other important things.

Just trying to add some constructive points to improve this great song.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
Sounds great to me. I really like it.
Thx man.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Nice jam for sure. I thought the drums sounded a little puffy at first but it fits the tune fine so all good. I think I remember hearing this the first time around as well. Speaking of Fishbone, I saw those guys live a time or two in the 90s. One was a club IIRC and the other 1992's Lollapalooza. I was following them around the same time I was following Mr. Bungle among other cool ass bands of the time.
I saw em when they opened for the Chili Peppers here in Atl way back when. helluva show!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I love the vibe on this. Does it for me, thanks for the music and don't change a thing.
i won't be changing a thing with my setup, but i can still do a few little fixes here and there. this is 'fun' learning.

appreciate ya Gerry.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
The song is great, but you should be careful. This music is very good to have some bad technical mistakes.

You should clean a bit the noise on some tracks. For example at 10 seconds time, you can clearly hear a lot of noise on the incoming vocal track. Also at the very end of the song you can hear the noise.

The mix is unbalanced in the frequencies. Too much bass and lack midtones. It sounds good in flat studio monitors but not in regular people's equipments because they already boost those bass and high frequencies. I know this kind of music the bass is very important but it is maybe masking some other important things.

Just trying to add some constructive points to improve this great song.
yeah, i was in a pretty noisy inviron back then. i did try to remove some of it with Reafir--just before the underwater chirping kicked in, but obviously not well enough.
gotcha on the freqs. I was sort of waiting for that.
thx much man.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 AM   #18
BCF1

I'm not qualified to say anything, other then that sounds freaking great !!

I would gladly shit porcupines to produce something that sounded that good !!

Admittedly I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but I am loving that consistantly if not constantly that fact gets driven home with almost every tune and talent I get to listen to here. Good stuff !! Thanx
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #19
heda

Quote:
yeah, i was in a pretty noisy inviron back then. i did try to remove some of it with Reafir--just before the underwater chirping kicked in, but obviously not well enough.
gotcha on the freqs. I was sort of waiting for that.
thx much man.
Thank you for accepting my comments.
For the noises in the tracks you may just need to cut the track to right before the voice starts and apply a small fade in. Or just a gate. Because you can only hear the noise in those silent parts at the beginning and the end. Applying a noise reduction to the entire track may not be necessary because it could also affect the voice and when it is mixed with all the rest you can't notice the noise so much and it would not be worth to damage the audio.

For the frequencies, try listen to it on a hi-fi system with large speakers, or in the car and compare the bass and mix with what you hear on the studio monitors. Study the Average frequencies of mastered published similar genre songs and compare it with your mix. Try 1 or 2 db more around 900hz and 2 db less around 200hz.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #20
sammydix

"I would gladly shit porcupines to produce something that sounded that good !!"

LOL!!! first good laugh of the morning. gotta remember that phrase.

but dude, you got you own style and I for one like the hell out of it.
don't knock it!
if it's the mix you mean, you haven't heard some of my early
stuff (bleh!). in no time you'll be doing the same thing i did with this: look back and go, "damn, that was how it did back then?" Just as i'll be doing again a year from now.

Just keep posting stuff here. everybody'll lead you in the right directions.

Last edited by sammydix; 12-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #21
BCF1

Quote:
[I]
LOL!!! first good laugh of the morning. gotta remember that phrase.

but dude, you got you own style and I for one like the hell out of it.
don't knock it!
if it's the mix you mean, you haven't heard some of my early
stuff (bleh!). in no time you'll be doing the same thing i did with this: look back and go, "damn, that was how it did back then?" Just as i'll be doing again a year from now.

Just keep posting stuff here. everybody'll lead you in the right directions.
Yeah I was willing to shit porcupines for the mixing and overall, what I think is a great sounding track. Not even knocking my thing but really enjoyed and was impressed with this tune it;s got great feel(and sound). I appreciate the advice, encouragement and kind words tho for sure. I will keep at it and keep posting and look forward to hearing more good shit from you and all the folks that play and post on this forum. Thanx BCF1
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote