Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Rv5
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper causing Vienna Ensemble Pro engine to restart on playback

Please see the following thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=144309

When connected to Vienna Ensemble Pro (latest version installed as of this date) Reaper (same) seems to be restarting VEP's engine causing a delay in playback - after pressing play, the playhead does not start moving until each instance of VEP has been 'restarted'.

Multiple other DAWs (Logic, CuBase, ProTools) work fine and do not cause this issue - it is Reaper specific. Multiple settings have been checked/unchecked with combinations of both but with no success.

Any response at this point with how to move forward with this would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks.
Rv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
nofish

Hi,

I don't have VEP but your issue reminded me of a similar issue I came across with a VST:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140690

See post #3 for my (unconfirmed) assumptions and some settings you could try to tweak (just a shot in the dark though...)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Rv5

Hi nofish - thanks for the reply - yes seems a similar issue. Reaper is telling VEP to restart its engine upon playback per instance, so with multiple instances there is a noticeable delay rendering Reaper un-usable with working large orchestral templates using VEP.

The support over at VSL were great - they sent over some software that might report what Reaper was sending but I couldn't get it to work. However as it's not a VEP problem there was only so much they could do. Ollie interjected once but not heard from him since - what is the next step? From what I understood it's to post here and then raise a bug tracker report?

I've tried changing every setting I could in preferences but nothing seems to help.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Rv5

Just been doing some more experimenting - when 'flush fx on stop' is enabled, it has the same effect on stop. So it would seem just as you suggested - an option to NOT flush fx on start for some plugins is needed!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv5 View Post
what is the next step? From what I understood it's to post here and then raise a bug tracker report?
I'd suggest so.
You wanna do it ? (then also post a link to this or another thread here in the tracker entry, otherwise there's a chance it will get closed by a mod if there's no link to a corresponding bug reports / discussion thread)
I'd then confirm there.

Last edited by nofish; 03-05-2015 at 01:33 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
mezzo

Yes,I have this problem too and can't use Reaper+VEP comfortable (((.
mezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Rv5

Ok thanks for chiming in! I'll raise it in the bug tracker and hope it gets fixed!

I've also put on a feature request for an option to not flush fx on playback start for selected plugins as this seems to be the issue, but perhaps best to stick with just a bug report?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156637

Fingers crossed as unleashing the power of Reaper with VEP would be amazing!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Rv5

I've raised a bug tracker

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5532

and a feature request:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156637
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #9
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi!

I am testing right now this issue with Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, and Iīve found - at least in my setup - a setting which, I think, hasnīt been mentioned in the threads related to this problem and certainly solves the playback delay issue here. Itīs not in the Audio section, as suggested before, but in the VST section / VST compatibility :

"Donīt flush synthesizer plugins on stop"
is the option. When I have it unticked the playback delay is quite noticeable. When I tick it, the playback is just fine...

In the Audio section of the preferences, I also have "Flush FX when looping" disabled, by the way...

I hope it can be of help...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 04-21-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Rv5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Hi!

I am testing right now this issue with Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, and Iīve found - at least in my setup - a setting which, I think, hasnīt been mentioned in the threads related to this problem and certainly solves the playback delay issue here. Itīs not in the Audio section, as suggested before, but in the VST section / VST compatibility :

"Donīt flush synthesizer plugins on stop"
is the option. When I have it unticked the playback delay is quite noticeable. When I tick it, the playback is just fine...

In the Audio section of the preferences, I also have "Flush FX when looping" disabled, by the way...

I hope it can be of help...

Thanks for replying!! Unfortunately already tried this and it still has the delay when hitting play - the problem is that Reaper seems to be flushing the plugins on pressing play and there isn't an option (that I know of) to disable this, only with regards to pressing stop.

It's a shame. No one ever got back so have since moved on to CuBase 8.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:23 AM   #11
YiannisT

Default Reaper and VEP7

2020 and I bumped onto the same problem... Any solutions yet?

Thanks.
YiannisT is offline   Reply With Quote