Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
MikeF
Human being with feelings

Default Help! My Videos Won't Import Into Reaper To See, Hear, Or Edit Them

Hi! Experimenting with importing videos into Reaper to play around with editing soundtracks, adding voice overs, etc.

I insert a media item from my videos folder and then I add the video view. A new track comes up with my video named and in the track lane an item shows up without a waveform that just says "offline" with no waveform of the soundtrack. There is no video image appearing in the video view screen, either (just blank). Most of my videos are in the MP4 format. Does Reaper recognize this as a valid format? (All my YouTube videos are that format).

Under my Reaper Preferences/Video, it shows options for FFmpeg, VLC, and OSC Native for the decoding engine preferences to choose. I've tried all three but nothing works.

If I go to a MP4 video in my videos folder, right click on it and choose to open it with VLC (for example), it will open up and play in VLC (not in Reaper).

Any thoughts on what to do?? I downloaded VLC and FFmpeg and installed them (they appear in my Program Files directory).

Thanks!

Mike
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
airon

Check the Item Source Properties (CTRL+F2 default shortcut) of the video item.

If it's not saying FFMPEG or VLC as a player in the window that pops up, then that stuff is not installed correctly.

VLC has to be 32-bit if Reaper is 32-bit, and the same for 64-bit.

Be sure to check the wiki page for Reaper 4 and 5.

I recommend you use Reaper 5 anyway. Its video support is improved. Head over to the pre-release section to get it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
MikeF

Hi! It says "couldn't find format chunk" in the item properties...

I'm really confused. I extracted my files and the FFmpeg and the VLC files are in the Reaper/Plug-Ins Directory..
Old 06-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
MikeF

I did download the 64-bit version (my system) for both...
Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
MikeF

Default Airon

Well, I tried everything! My VLC must be installed properly or I wouldn't be able to open all my MP4 videos in it...they all open fine EXCEPT when I try to import them into Reaper...the video won't even import..blank screen...my preferences has VLC as the encoder selected...I even added my plug-in paths (preferences) to include the folder that the VLC program is in (Program Files in my Windows directory).
Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
airon

VLC is detected by Reaper if it's installed from the standard installer(exe or msi). No copying of anything required.

The FFMPEG library is mainly useful for non-working video files(yours should work) or video export.

Perhaps your MP4 files are somehow defective. Could you drop one in to VLC itself and inspect the Codec Information (Tools/Codec Information). If it still can't find the chunk, it's your video files that are probably damaged in some way. One could try to generate a new MP4 file from each of them with a Mux/DeMux tool like Yamb(an MP4 box frontend).

So, VLC has to be installed properly so Reaper can find it. You can check if Reaper is using it with a standard video file that you drop in to Reaper, and then checking the Item Source Properties.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
mikeypee

or if you have some spare disk space, you can just transcode to something you know would work (with handbrake or another free program).
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
concreteblue

Default me too

mp4 opened in REAPER shows "offline". No idea what to do to get it to play/edit?
concreteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
KevinW

Edit - nevermind. I converted the vob file within VLC, then imported into Reaper. All is well...Nothing to see here...move along...

Thread resurrection...

I'm having a similar problem. I have .vob files that I am renaming to .mpg files in Windows Explorer. I can play both the vob file as well as the mpg file directly in VLC, but when I import the mpg file into Reaper, the video window is blank.

When I click on Source Properties, it says it is using DirectShow decoder, which doesn't seem right to me. Further, when I go to the Preferences/Video settings and remove all the decoder choices except VLC and ffmpeg and then try to import the video, I get a dialog that says it cannot be imported. This seems to imply that Reaper is not seeing the VLC decoder, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Help?

Last edited by KevinW; 09-21-2015 at 06:10 PM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:21 AM   #10
cyrano

You shouldn't rename files and expect them to work...

.vob is a container, just like .mov and .wmv. That means inside the file can be a number of file formats, with different encoding.

VLC is the best program out there when it comes to figuring out what's inside and showing it. Reaper isn't as intelligent yet, as video is fairly new. So in this case it tries to decode as an mpeg, but there's something else in there. It uses the decoders from VLC, but not the intelligence. I don't even know if Reaper could use that to select the proper codec.

Use a proper tool to transcode to .mpg. VLC can do that, but the interface is a little... euh... awkward. Look for "transcoding wizard" in the menu's.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
BartR

I did get VLC (3.0 64Bit) and it's correctly installed.
Despite this, Reaper is not detecting it
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
I did get VLC (3.0 64Bit) and it's correctly installed.
Despite this, Reaper is not detecting it
Reaper is not compatible with VLC 3.x yet.
So install a VLC 2.x version: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204462
solger is offline   Reply With Quote