Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
kill_valmer
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER compatibility with CYMATIC AUDIO Live Recorder LR-16 – need help!

REAPER compatibility with CYMATIC AUDIO Live Recorder LR-16 – need help!

Hardware in question: http://www.cymaticaudio.com/products/live-recorder-lr16

I found REAPER via the Cymatic audio website. They, I’m assuming Cymatic engineers or forum representatives, suggested that REAPER would be a suitable multi-tracking recording solution, but didn’t go into any details regarding compatibility with the hardware.

I’m going to go into some ridiculous details here to hopefully stave off any standard questions that folks might throw at me. This is going to go one of two ways, no one will respond, or I’m hosed.

System details:

Lenovo T440 ThinkPad
Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit operating system
Intel i5-5300
8 GB Ram
180 GB SSD
2 USB 3.0 ports – I think I have these knocked down to 2.0 for better compatibility with older hardware

I have downloaded and installed Reaper v4.78/x64 and I am still in an evaluation period.

The Cymatic Audio LR-16 Live Recorder / Interface has been updated to the latest 83859 firmware.
I was instructed to download:
‘ASIO/WDM driver and Mixer Panel for Windows XP, 7 and 8 (32 & 64-bit) Windows USB ASIO/WDM Drivers V6.17.0 (Nov. 10th, 2014)’

Now for the fun part. Considering the sheer number of ASIO driver-related posts on the ‘net and even associated with the REAPER forums, I’m not alone here. Before someone suggests ASIO4ALL, let it be known that I'm not super enthusiastic about my chances with that utility, based on what I've read. 6

Please see attached screenshots. I have attached a zip of all screenshots, eleven total, and have added a few choice screenshots directly as attachments.

1. I can select the audio system and ASIO driver as shown in image 1
2. I DO NOT have any I/O selectable options as you can see in image 2
3. The ASIO configuration button doesn’t launch anything, is it supposed to? Seen in image 3
4. This is the REAPER error I’m encountering seen in image 4
5. Windows recording devices as displayed in image 5, when the device is connected via USB and powered up.
6. Windows playback devices as displayed in image 6, when the device is connected via USB and powered up.
7. Windows device manager, seen in image 7, I disabled the other/unknown device just for the heck of it. Also I disabled my onboard audio device as I’ve read this may conflict.
8. Cymatic Audio LR-16 general properties in device manager, as seen in image 8
9. Cymatic Audio LR-16 driver properties in device manager, as seen in image 9
10. Cymatic Audio LR-16 driver details in device manager, as seen in image 10
11. Cymatic Audio LR-16 Mixer Panel application, in operation, along with Windows recording devices showing input readings in real time. I split a stereo signal inbound between channels 1 and 3 just so I could see that windows wasn’t going to restrict me to only using one of those recording pairs, as seen in image 11

SO…. Sorry for the wall of data. What the hell is going on and does this thing even work with REAPER? Any suggestions? I will be checking back like a hawk and bumping most likely. I will respond kindly to requests for any additional information just as quickly as I can.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11_CYMATIC_LiveRecorder_Mixer_Panel_in_action.jpg (44.9 KB, 411 views)
File Type: png 07_WINDOWS_device_manager.PNG (50.7 KB, 400 views)
File Type: png 01_REAPER_Driver_and_Interface_Selection.PNG (59.8 KB, 450 views)
File Type: png 02_REAPER_IO_selection.PNG (55.9 KB, 367 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip REAPER_WINDOWS_CYMATIC_screenshots.zip (631.6 KB, 144 views)
kill_valmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
VinodXAgent

Asio can't use your interface, because Windows (WDM) is using it and not releasing the interface. The Windows Sound applet has nothing to do with Asio. For a start i would disable all LR16 inputs in Sound|Recording devices and see, if Asio gets accesss to your interface.
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
kill_valmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodXAgent View Post
Asio can't use your interface, because Windows (WDM) is using it and not releasing the interface. The Windows Sound applet has nothing to do with Asio. For a start i would disable all LR16 inputs in Sound|Recording devices and see, if Asio gets access to your interface.
Vinod
First off, thanks for the quick reply. I do appreciate it.

I attempted your recommendation to no avail. I started by disabling all of the inbound recording pairs via the windows sound dialog. Launching Reaper yielded exactly the same results as before, error loading ASIO driver, as well as the inability to select any inputs in the drop down. I also disabled the playback pair in the windows sound dialog, as an additional test.

I also went and attempted to disable the CYMATIC LR-16 as a sound controller in windows device manager. Same result.

The CYMATIC LR-16 mixing panel application continued to work separately during all of this. Of course I have attempted to launch reaper with that mixer panel app running and with it closed, just in case it was causing a conflict.

Is it possible that I would need to disable any WINDOWS related audio services?

Any other suggestions or next steps would be appreciated. Please see additional screenshots for confirmation. It will most likely be tomorrow night [friday] before I can take another shot at this.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: png WINDOWS_recording_devices_disabled.PNG (61.1 KB, 353 views)
File Type: png WINDOWS_device_manager_2.PNG (54.8 KB, 338 views)
File Type: png WINDOWS_audio_services.PNG (5.2 KB, 318 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
kill_valmer

According to the CYMATIC audio folks, windows-based REAPER and the CYMATIC LR-16 don't play well together currently. But they say it works flawlessly with OSX.

I'd rather just not have my equipment work together before I own an apple product. I'm not subscribing to the "need apple to do anything multimedia" mentality. This prevailing attitude is what gets us in these situations in the first place. Manufacturers code for apple and leave everyone else out in the cold.

So this pretty much sucks, I would probably have liked to use REAPER. Is there possibly a legacy version of REAPER that would work with the LR-16? Left field question, but worth a shot.

Or further still - does anyone have any hardware recommendations for windows-based REAPER x64 that will allow me to multi-track in real time directly to my machine? Ideally I'd like to have 12+ track capability. Bonus points if it also doubles as a real board with XLR inputs/faders/EQs/Sends/Groups/Subs and all that. Currently I'm running the direct outs of an analog board, which is fine.

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
ivansc

A&H Zed24-R board would do you fine if I recall the spec correctly.
Firewire though.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
kill_valmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Firewire though.
USB would be preferred for compatibility with my particular laptop, but I will take a look.

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Firewire though.
And that's another one that has the reputation for working best with OSX...
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
kill_valmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_valmer View Post
USB would be preferred for compatibility with my particular laptop, but I will take a look.

Thank you.
Apologies, but I think you meant the R16 - which is about $2,200. And it is firewire, as you indicated. Its freaking dope, most likely, but probably more than I want to spend realistically.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
steenhuis

Default cymatic works with me

I have the bigger version of the Cymatic system, the Utrack 24. USB.
My screens look just like yours and Reaper works very well.
I use reaper 64 bit and the Cymatic audio driver.

never use asio4all drivers!

I think you have to fix your problems in order. First, solve the "unknown device" in device manager.

If you can't. Back up all your personal files and wipe the computer empty and reinstall Windows, download all updates. Make shure there are no unknown devices in device manager.

Only then connect the Cymatic machine and install the drivers from Cymatic audio.
steenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:49 AM   #10
laszlo

Default Compatibility issue solved with new driver

Hi There,

Here's Laszlo from Cymatic Audio Support.

We released a new driver (6.17.1) for the LR-16 this solve the compatibility issue with Reaper.

Cheers,
Laszlo
laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
malice95

Anyone using this new driver? solve your issues? I'm interested in buying one of these units for use with reaper.
malice95 is offline   Reply With Quote