Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
edkilp
Human being with feelings

Default Careful With Your Screenshots

I try not to be a dick, and I try to let some things go when I see discussions going on where a reply from me would make me seem like a dick. But there is one thing that gets under my skin and if I sound like a dick, then I sound like a dick.
If you're gonna use Reaper for 4, 5, 6 or more years and still not buy a license, at least have the sense to crop that part out of your screenshot. You see this all the time, especially in the themes forum. Guys can't wait to show off their fancy new theme, and they joined in 2011 with that glaring EVALUATION LICENSE at the top.

I'm no angel, I make 0 dollars from Reaper, but I use it a lot. It allows me to have a lot of fun and get my music heard by people I want to hear it. 60 bucks is a no-brainer for what can be accomplished with this program, and everyone knows it.

Sorry about the dick attitude, and maybe there's a reason for it that I'm unaware of, but c'mon man. One could argue that 60 days is a bit light to evaluate a program this deep. Especially if it isn't used every day. But I personally think that after almost 5 years, you ought to have a pretty good idea if it's gonna work for you or not.

Don't be a deadbeat! Buy a cheap license and feel good about yourself.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Bristol Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
If you're gonna use Reaper for 4, 5, 6 or more years and still not buy a license, at least have the sense to crop that part out of your screenshot. You see this all the time, especially in the themes forum. Guys can't wait to show off their fancy new theme, and they joined in 2011 with that glaring EVALUATION LICENSE at the top.

It's even more glaring when they are asking for donations for their fancy new theme posting up screenshots with an evaluation license. like that guy with his pro tools theme for v5

so they want payment in advance for their development work while seeing no reason to pay others for theirs.

What a world

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 10-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
cfillion

Guess what the first auto-completion result for "reaper download" is on Google?

Quote:
One could argue that 60 days is a bit light to evaluate a program this deep. Especially if it isn't used every day. But I personally think that after almost 5 years, you ought to have a pretty good idea if it's gonna work for you or not.
I waited 3 months to see how well this daw handled real-world live usage before buying it. I purchased my license right away after running the first few rehearsals. It was very clear to me then that REAPER is the right software for the job.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-01-2015 at 07:47 PM.
cfillion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
richie43

I think it is hilarious and a little pathetic that someone actually took the time to crack Reaper.....With it's unreasonable and crippled evaluation.....
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
I waited 3 months to see how well this daw handled real-world live usage before buying it. I purchased my license right away after the first few rehearsals. It was very clear then that REAPER is the right software for the job.
I went well beyond 60 days myself. I was using Sonar for years. Downloaded, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled Reaper many, many times over the course of close to a year.
Once I decided that I was gonna learn it, and re-learn and adjust the way I had to do things in Reaper, it was less than 60 days when I bought my license.

I'm sure there are a lot of devoted users who went past the initial evaluation period, but to still be evaluating after several years is just ridiculous. I'm also sure that after that long, the evaluating is over, and they are just plain using.

Kinda funny that a person can be smart enough to understand a complex program like this, but doesn't quite have a grasp on the crop tool in MS Paint.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Lokasenna

It's too bad there isn't a button on the keyboard that would hide the title bar.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
It's too bad there isn't a button on the keyboard that would hide the title bar.
I think that option is available for the commercial licenses.
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
edkilp

Quote:
Just pay for it and there's no need to hide the title bar.

There is an option to not have your name in the title bar.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
cfillion

Quote:
Like the fullscreen mode?
cfillion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
It's even more glaring when they are asking for donations for their fancy new theme posting up screenshots with an evaluation license. like that guy with his pro tools theme for v5

so they want payment for their development work while seeing no reason to pay others for theirs.

What a world
That really opens another can of worms too. Let's make this app look like Protools so we can fool that customer that only wants their album "mixed on Protools".

If you do ⇧⌘4 for your screen shot (in OSX), you get the crop tool.
Get rid of that embarrassing background!
Mac Pro 8x3.33GHz i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD(OS, apps), 3x2TB 7200 HD(data); MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 6GB, 128GB SSD HD(OS, apps), 750GB 7200 HD(data); 2xTrue Precision 8; Apogee AD-16; 2xMOTU 828mk3, Evolution UC-33e; Faderport; WiRanger, iPad & the analog mixer has retired
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
bluzkat

Quote:
F11 (full screen)

And I definitely agree with the OP.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Kihoalu

Quote:
Kinda funny that a person can be smart enough to understand a complex program like this, but doesn't quite have a grasp on the crop tool in MS Paint.
I run into this all the time... "ace geniuses" that are completely dumb in any sense but their narrow specialty. (some even have multiple PhD's). Many still do not realize their stupidity even when it hits them in the face.

Speaking of Which: I was at a NARAS event (the Grammy People) where they were giving a "Master Class" on Classical Music Recording techniques. One of the instructors showed Reaper as an alternative to ProTools and announced that it was "essentially free". I felt like raising my hand and saying "just like all recorded music is essentially free, right?", but I chose not to disrupt the proceeding.

Last edited by Kihoalu; 10-01-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Kihoalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #13
Daniovan

Hello,

first I was surprised and thought "There are cracked versions of Reaper ?-! It´s only $ 60 !, isn´t it. But then I thought, well, there are people who have not more than $ 50 (some even less!) monthly to survive
For most people from countries like Switzerland, Canada, Austria,
Netherlands, Germany, Belgium...60 $ is nothing ! So I said to myself
"Better think twice, before you let a feeling of accusation arise next time...
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniovan View Post
Hello,

first I was surprised and thought "There are cracked versions of Reaper ?-! It´s only $ 60 !, isn´t it. But then I thought, well, there are people who have not more than $ 50 (some even less!) monthly to survive
For most people from countries like Switzerland, Canada, Austria,
Netherlands, Germany, Belgium...60 $ is nothing ! So I said to myself
"Better think twice, before you let a feeling of accusation arise next time...
And yet they manage to buy a computer, microphones, headphones, instruments, etc.?

Sorry, the price is the price. And Cockos provides the "discounted license price" which gives you the fully-functional product--not missing any features at all (and it's more fully-featured than most users even realize; I'm still discovering useful things it can do that other DAWs either don't do well, or at all). That price has remained the same for a significantly long period of time, too.

If someone doesn't have the money for a "valid reason" (yet maybe borrows all other things they need to record? for the sake of argument): cracking Reaper? It's fully functional without registering! They crack it for the sake of removing the "nag screen" which is hardly a hassle to deal with, and/or the text "EVALUATION VERSION" in the title bar? Cockos left it fully functional with that one difference. Deciding you don't have to deal with that, in my opinion, is petty. I have no problem judging people for that.

"Need" a freeware DAW? They exist. Reaper isn't one. If you think people "need" all the features in Reaper to record a project, that it's their right to have all the work done to Reaper for nothing, you need to look at the freeware options which exist. When I first started using a PC to record, the software available to me (in 1997) was terrible by comparison to the freeware that exists now, and it cost several hundred dollars too. *And* despite how crummy the software was, I managed to make very good recordings with it. No one deserves Reaper for free.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-01-2015 at 10:22 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #15
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
"Need" a freeware DAW? They exist. Reaper isn't one.
Exactly. I was brought up to believe that if you want something badly enough, you save and go without something else to pay for it. And if you can't do that, you just can't have it (unless some kind person like your favorite uncle buys it for you ).
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #16
lowest form

I'd pay $60 just for the JS effects!
lowest form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:36 AM   #17
Goldreap

I evaluated for 2 days, bought it gleefully, and felt warm inside..I love it.
Goldreap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #18
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Agree 100% with the OP!

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:09 AM   #19
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowest form View Post
I'd pay $60 just for the JS effects!
I feel like an idiot for overlooking most of the included effects for so long. Now that I've finally learned "not to listen with my eyes" I'm realizing Reaper comes with a lot of good effects. I'm also starting to use parameter modulation, which is very useful... And I don't even know how long it's been a part of Reaper (at least to the extent it currently works).

If something like Reaper had existed in 1997, I can only imagine how much it could've been worth. I felt lucky to be able to record 8 audio tracks and also play MIDI (to outboard gear--forget soft synths). Real-time effects? Lol! Nope! And that was still better than tape-based solutions.

Then came all the money I spent on Steinberg and Waves. I used Logic for a while, but they gave up on PC so that was that. Then Cakewalk...finally maturing to Sonar, then became full of bugs as of X1. N-track had promise for a while, then was so buggy and unstable for so long I gave up on it. Reaper has been the only DAW I've used which hasn't turned around and taken a nose-dive, or demanded a lot of money for updates. It just continually improves.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:21 AM   #20
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Then came all the money I spent on Steinberg and Waves....
Ouch!
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #21
Paul99

Very right OP!
I tested Reaper for less than one hour and knew: this is what I need and the $60 is a ridiculous price compared to Cubase and others! Especially I liked that it is "only" a DAW (although it turns out more and more that the JS effects are incredible valuable!!) and not all kinds of VSTi's and samples that I would never need for my kinda music.
I didn't even knew that I could test this program for ever. After I discovered that, I was even more glad I bought the program. This kind of developers just DESERVE to be supported for this very kind attitude!
Another great feature is the nice gesture of Cockos update policy. Which manufacturer lets you have a license for two versions? Updating in Cubase costs more than a complete license for Reaper!
And last: which DAW users have a support forum like this?
So ask me if I am a happy Reaper user....;-)
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #22
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post

so they want payment for their development work while seeing no reason to pay others for theirs.

What a world
For sake of fairness I will mention that just because someone hasn't registered something doesn't automatically mean they didn't pay for it.

I ran into that situation way back, where I posted a screenshot and Schwa, a mature, intelligent and kind person, sent me a PM saying (paraphrase) "Please register your product. I know you own it but it gives off a bad vibe to see 'Evaluation License' on the screen shots." ... so I did. I had Reaper (that I paid for) on multiple systems and often didn't even bother to go hunt down my license file from one of them.

Did anyone even bother to - ask - the theme creator guy that or is it more fun to assume he's a leech?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #23
Thalamus

Albert has paid for his copy of Reaper previously (if you care to look at his old protools theme screenshots you will see that he has a licence). He is also entitled to 60 days eval on Reaper 5.

Where is the problem?
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #24
Softsynth

Quote:
I try not to be a dick, and I try to let some things go when I see discussions going on where a reply from me would make me seem like a dick. But there is one thing that gets under my skin and if I sound like a dick, then I sound like a dick.............
I'm no angel, I make 0 dollars from Reaper, but I use it a lot. It allows me to have a lot of fun and get my music heard by people I want to hear it. 60 bucks is a no-brainer for what can be accomplished with this program, and everyone knows it. .........................

Why not name and shame.

Frankly no one has an excuse to pirate this. If you can afford to run a powerful enough computer and use instruments and have time to record the results then you can afford to pay £38 for a DAW!

If you cannot afford it save up your pocket money, See if you can get a paper round or other part time job after school or college. Adults really have no excuses.

In the meantime (after the generous 60 days) you could use Pro Tools first or Mulab Preview or LMMS, they're meant to be free!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #25
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Why not name and shame.
Unlike most politicians (and Twitter), mature people try to gather "facts" before playing the shame game, to make sure a person is a witch - before - they burn him at the stake.

The "holier than thou" types rarely bother with such trivial matters like trying to find the truth, or sending a person a PM to ask before lighting the bonfire. I seriously doubt if Albert is a leech. Not to mention that since R5 was released on Aug 12, 2015, nobody can be a leech using it yet since 60 days haven't even passed yet?

That would be October 13, 2015 ... for the mathematically challenged.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-02-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #26
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertxxxx View Post
hi, because as you may have noticed reaper use only for skin, and since 2011 I've done some, all free of charge, except pro x-tools.
I actually use cubase 8 and all my plugins are original, I do not see the need to have 2 daws. At the end all the work is for you and for those who like ... I do not think it's relevant or not having it purchased.. goodbye and peace ...
Even while I don't use any of your themes albert, I can surely see how and why they are much acclaimed. But the message you are giving out with this is not the best possible. Basically you are saying that since you are doing paid work for the others, you have the right to develop that on unpaid tools?
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #27
albertxxxx

and yes, in the studio we purchased a version of Reaper, which uses another partner..
Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #28
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Unlike most politicians, mature people try to gather "facts" before playing the shame game, to make sure a person is a witch - before - they burn him at the stake.

The "holier than thou" types rarely bother with such trivial matters like truth though.
Perhaps naming and shaming was too strong a term.
You would not be burning anyone. All I mean is a link to articles where evidence of this exists.

What you say reminds me of this case:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/901723.stm
Old 10-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #29
Lawrence

Yeah, just saying. I haven't purchased R5 yet either, and may not, but I'm legal until October 13 so if I post a screenshot showing "Evaluation License", I hope I don't get shamed by the moral majority.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #30
xpander

Quote:
and yes, in the studio we purchased a version of Reaper, which uses another partner..
Ok. I'm sure your efforts are enjoyed by many, that's all good. What I meant was that it would sound a bit awkward to offer your things against donations while seemingly not paying your own part. If that's not the case, fine. I think otherwise the willing should donate for the tools first...that would not be the first case either.

---
Edit to not up this topic unnecessarily. As I see it, Albert surely doesn't want to advertise his license status on his theme examples. For years it's been hidden from the pictures and only somebody who would've caught an occasional glimpse, like this one from 4 years ago, would know that he actually has a commercial license.
https://stash.reaper.fm/11113/Captura2.PNG

Last edited by xpander; 10-02-2015 at 03:44 PM.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #31
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yeah, just saying. I haven't purchased R5 yet either, and may not, but I'm legal until October 13 so if I post a screenshot showing "Evaluation License", I hope I don't get railroaded by the moral majority.
But then that's completely fine if you roll back to version 4 + after that, or genuinely intend to buy it asap (assuming money is that tight). It's only down to your own conscience after all.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #32
Lawrence

Yeah, it's not like it costs a fortune. It's more, for some, if they see anything worth upgrading for.

My first two license purchases were purely "I want to support these guys." I didn't "need" Reaper to make music but I liked it and it had some good practical uses (especially for my day job where I did A/V stuff) and I wanted to support the effort, long before it was anything close to what it is now.

Now it's more... "Do I really need or even want to upgrade?". Not sure yet. R5 didn't really hit any of my personal pet peeves.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #33
bigjoe

I have to say that i'm TOTALLY happy with Reaper.
Coming from ProTools frustration, after so much money spent on tech support and upgrades, i decided to try other daws.
The Demo is always too short to evaluate if a DAW is suitable for my needs...infact i'm still wondering if Cubase can be as good as i need. But don't want to buy a DAW just to try every feature.
I tried Reaper for about 3 months an i ended up buying it, just because i had time to learn the way it works and for considering it as good ( if not better by certain sides) as protools.

I can understand long trying times, but really agree with the OP.

The licensing is the BEST you ever find, the price is really affordable and you get a powerful DAW with NO REGRETS.

Stealing Reaper is for dumb*sses
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #34
Endisol

People crack iPhone and Android apps that cost $.99 its shocking but I think to crack Reaper is the more pathetic as it is so good and too crack it is soo scummy
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #35
carllackey

i could'nt agree more with the op. people have to remember we live in a capitalist country, whether you like this or not. if you can't afford 60 dollars for this program, then you need a better job!
carllackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #36
albertxxxx

I use cubase mainly because I've been using over 17 years, I know, I like, and I'm comfortable with, especially for production ... reaper (bought) use it as recording environment, we like it, we know and we are comfortable with the ...
and we replace it with pro tools at the time ...
I do not understand how people starts talking without knowing a shit ..
whom they like my themes that use, I have many and are for a free download ... and there are a lot of work behind them, day and night ...
who would not like that do not use, but neither stupid talk without knowing.
I accept criticisms about my themes especially if they are constructive to help improve ..
thanks and regards
Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #37
Kihoalu

Quote:
People crack iPhone and Android apps that cost $.99 its shocking but I think to crack Reaper is the more pathetic as it is so good and too crack it is soo scummy
Especially considering that the only difference between a cracked and not-cracked version of Reaper is about six seconds of time waiting for the "please buy this" screen to close! Excepting perhaps, that any "cracked" version probably also has a virus or trojan installed.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #38
paulheu

Quote:
I try not to be a dick,
Yet, here you are.. :/
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #39
paulheu

Quote:
hi, because as you may have noticed reaper use only for skin, and since 2011 I've done some, all free of charge, except pro x-tools.

Don't sweat it.. We're dealing with this p*nis envy nonsense.. /s
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #40
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
The licensing is the BEST you ever find,
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. I personally consider FLStudio's licensing the best case, pay once and never again, ever, for the rest of your life, but I also understand how forums will often call things "best" despite some clear facts to the contrary... so, it's all good.

Reaper's licensing is very clearly (factually) "among the best" for sure.

Quote:
Stealing Reaper is for dumb*sses
We certainly agree there.

Honestly, I think hackers just do what hackers do. They sometimes apparently do things just to see if they can, not so much that anyone even needs them to. Given Justin's reputation as a good developer, I suppose there's someone out there who thinks it's a challenge to try to bypass what little security is there.

Like mountain climbing I suppose, they climb it only because it's there.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-02-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote