Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
simplecarnival
Human being with feelings

Default Options -> Metronome settings: "Enable session audio during count-in"

Would it be possible to have a new checkbox option in Options -> Metronome settings: "Enable session audio during count-in"?

Having a count-in is a great help during tracking, but not being able to hear the audio during the count-in (as it currently is in Reaper) makes it pretty much useless. If you're singing or playing an instrument where intonation is important, or if you simply need to play along and get 'into the groove', it's essential to hear the entire arrangement during the count-in.

A personal side note: If this option is implemented, I can completely move away from PTLE. PTLE's preroll function is essential when I track, and if Reaper can get it... it was nice knowing ya, Pro Tools!

Thanks for considering this FR.

Last edited by simplecarnival; 01-13-2008 at 08:11 PM.
simplecarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Billoon

+1.

Also would be good to have monitoring active during the precount.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
digaldeman

+1

I'm trying to get used to it but it just doesn't feel right. I'm sure this has been requested several times before.
digaldeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
simplecarnival

...or perhaps this FR should be for a "Mute audio during count-in" checkbox -- the behavior that currently exists during the count-in...?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
stratman

Give me a slap and tell me if I’m being stupid with this.

Instead of using the metronome, why not click on Insert from the top tool bar then select Click source, which inserts a click track.

I usually have a two bar click source count in, so my tracks start at bar 3. That way you can hear what you’re doing during the count in. You can always split the track and remove anything you do during the count in. Alternatively, you can select the region you want to record (in my case from bar 3), right click on the record button and select an auto punch option.

By the way, I’m only trying to help, so if I’m being really stupid and missing the point, a quick slap will be enough. Don’t beat me up .

edit: Oh dear, I've just noticed you guys have been around a lot longer than me.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 01-15-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Probably missed something
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Give me a slap and tell me if I’m being stupid with this.

Instead of using the metronome, why not click on Insert from the top tool bar then select Click source, which inserts a click track.
Actually... I most likely won't have the click noise on if this FR is implemented. All I want is to be able to hear the track playing back while the count-in is happening.

I've posted about the joys of count-in (or, in Pro Tools terms, "preroll") here:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...017#post130017

It's the only thing holding me back from using Reaper for 100% of my work. There are equivalent features or workarounds for everything else I do in Pro Tools.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
sebas777

+1 for one workaround less :-)
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
stratman

OK, point taken that it's better to do what you what to do directly without work-arounds. I consider myself slapped .

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
jakerock

This is just silly... Make your timeline /loop selection for the section you want to record, then position the playback cursor wherever the heck you want it for a preroll!

Also with the loop / timeline now detached any kind of preroll situation under the sun is possible.

Unclick OPTIONS>LOOP POINTS LINKED TO TIME SELECTION

Then you can go completely nuts! You can set a small time selection inside a big loop selection and put the play cursor way ahead of it...

It will start, play through the loop point, punch in / out in the time selection, then loop to the loop selection.

Try that in some other DAW.

Turn off that metronome and rock the time selection man!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #10
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
This is just silly... Make your timeline /loop selection for the section you want to record, then position the playback cursor wherever the heck you want it for a preroll!
If you didn't see the link to my previous post, I'll summarize: I use a wireless remote joypad to control my DAW when I track. It's essentially the same as a Tranzport or other wireless DAW controller. The advantage of count-in is that all you need to do is position the playback cursor -- which is extremely quick and easy to do with a joypad or remote transport -- and your preroll is ready to go. (Hold down fast forward or rewind, stop wherever you need to stop, and bingo -- you're ready to record with a count-in.)

Bear in mind that I am often on the other side of the room or can't even see the DAW when I'm performing -- I'm usually inside a vocal booth, sitting behind some drums, or have a guitar strapped around my neck. In all of these cases, setting loop points is not realistic.

If you primarily do a MIDI/editing thing or are already positioned in front of your computer, setting loop points for preroll is OK, I guess. But that's almost never the case in my sessions.

I do understand that not everybody uses Reaper in the same way -- and that flexibility is what makes Reaper so great. But I do hope this description better explains at least my need for this feature!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
jakerock

Ok... I did not understand that you were flying blind as it were...
With due respect, I do not think your feature request really is the best solution to this problem, as I have never had a DAW where the record playback head was moving at all during the count in, as that is the point of the count in!
BUT! Now I think I understand what you are trying to do!

I think that this Macro can do exactly what you ask.
Position the play cursor where you want to punch in then run this macro...

It makes a time selection (punch in zone) from the point where you put the cursor to the end of the project, then rewinds slightly, giving you a preroll.

Also, I dont think there is a way to specify what "a little bit" is in the "rewind a little bit" part of the macro... If you want it to rewind more, try just adding another instance of that command at the bottom.

For the play cursor to jive with this macro you must make sure this (move edit cursor to start or time selection on time selection change) is checked....

Im glad that you asked about this... I think this will come in REALLY handy for me too, its SUCH a fast way of doing this!

Best.

P.S. Respect to Billoon!

Last edited by jakerock; 01-16-2008 at 10:42 AM.
jakerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
simplecarnival

Jakerock -- thanks so much for the info. I think I'm missing one additional thing to make it work, though.

I put in the macro the way you described, and it makes the selection and places the playback cursor a bit earlier. I also threw in a "Transport: Record" command at the end. However, when I start the macro, it immediately starts recording (before the cursor hits the selection).

I've looked in the preferences but can't find the option to actually begin recording when the playback cursor hits the selection. Do you (or does anybody else) know?

Thanks again -- if I can get this to work, I may finally have a workaround.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
jakerock

Did you set the record mode:
OPTIONS:"Record mode:Time selection auto punch"

Try that!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Did you set the record mode:
OPTIONS:"Record mode:Time selection auto punch"

Try that!
That's it. Thanks *a lot*!

I know it's early in the year, but can I nominate you for the most helpful Reaper forum post of 2008?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #15
jakerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
That's it. Thanks *a lot*!

I know it's early in the year, but can I nominate you for the most helpful Reaper forum post of 2008?
I think I might peak early this year!

I started trying to help folks in here because I think this community is really swell, and I get to learn more about the prog by solving problems that I havent even thought of yet...

This was a cool one to tackle because I wrote my first useful macro and its one I will totally use and abuse myself.

So, let me nominate YOU for best question of 2008!!!

Oh, I am totally going to add Transport:Record at the end of it too, great idea!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
ftvessen

That macro works quite well, but it seems strange to me that you can only select the play cursor to go back "a little bit" as opposed to "go back 1 bar" or 2 bars.
Much easier would be if we could just use the preroll that is already there in the metronome section, but then with audio on!
I have never worked with a program that actually muted audio while doing a preroll, it is very strange...

Also, wouldn't it be handy if you would be able to move the cursor by snap setting, instead of "a little bit"?

Cheers, Frank
ftvessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
jakerock

Yeah absolutely!
I have heard others asking for this too...
I was making a macro today to work around another "action" that I feel is missing, and having the ability to move by the defined snap settings would have helped alot.
I think that "a little bit" is relative to the zoom level, so it is pretty unpredictable...
We just have to be patient!
I am humbled by Justin's work ethic, and certainly cant outright complain about stuff... He's the hardest working man in show business!!!!

Best, J
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
simplecarnival

Well, it's 2009 and I'm finally (!) using this macro on a real session and... I'm having a bit of a problem.

While the macro works as-is, every time I want to try recording again, the start point gets moved back.

What I mean is, the macro's "Rewind a little bit" action provides the "count in"/"preroll" behavior -- which is great. But when I try doing the take again, the start point is now where the "Rewind a little bit" action last left it.

So what happens is, I keep punching in earlier and earlier, which makes this macro... not as useful as I'd hoped.

Is there any way around this? Or has there been anything added to Reaper in the past year that will allow me to have a "normal" preroll? Thanks in advance...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
simplecarnival

Oh, wait -- I figured it out.

The first time I want to punch in, I have to run the macro. For all subsequent takes, I have to use the regular record button.

It's a bit clunky, but it'll work. I'd still love to see a standard PTLE-like pre/post-roll feature, though.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
simplecarnival

I've been using this macro a lot and it's been very useful.

However, I'm also experiencing two annoying side effects.

Problem #1

See Image1.jpg (attached to the end of this post). This is a screenshot where I'm about to record a take. The selection area has already been set up using the macro described earlier in this thread. Options -> Record mode: time selection auto punch is checked.

I begin recording. I mess up. I stop recording. The cursor hasn't made it yet to the selection area. Which, since time selection auto punch is checked, should imply that nothing got recorded. Because the cursor never reached the selection area, right?

But that's not what happens. Instead I get little bits of useless audio segments that I have to manually clear out later on, like in Image2.jpg.

If I hit record and the cursor makes it all the way to the selection area, then when I hit stop, the audio segment appears where you'd expect.

...and that leads into Problem #2.

Problem #2

Let's say I already have an audio clip in the selection area and then I hit stop once I've started recording in the selection area. And when I hit stop, it's before totally overwriting the previous clip. Now I get something extremely useless, and, if I'm not careful, dangerous to the session. See Image3.jpg.

The new clip gets stretched out to the length of the clip underneath so it gets repeated over and over!

What this means is, if you use the above macro on an earlier part of the song -- to punch in a small segment -- you can sometimes wipe out the rest of your track with a repeated, out-of-tempo clip of what you just recorded!

So the macro is fine if you work your way through a song from beginning to end and don't move onto the next section until the earlier parts of the song are done. But if you use this macro to fix a short part earlier in the song... you can really screw up the rest of the track if you aren't paying attention.

The only solution I've been able to find so far is to manually set the selection area so it doesn't overstep the area I want to punch in, then manually set the cursor earlier so I'm simulating the macro.

This is a major flow killer, as I'm usually operating Reaper "blind." During tracking, I'm on the other side of the room with a wireless keyboard and often can't see the monitor. So I have to stop what I'm doing, put down whatever instrument I'm holding, take off the headphones, and walk over to the computer to set everything up with the mouse. Then go back to whatever I was doing. Ugh.

Is there any way to get around these two issues? All I'd like is just a simple pre-roll like Pro Tools...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (42.5 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (40.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (27.7 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by simplecarnival; 01-22-2009 at 09:38 PM.