Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
AndyT
Human being with feelings

Default Help - FTP Glitches in Reaper

Hi,
I am having serious problems with Fast Track Pro (USB Soundcard- M Audio) in Reaper and I am hoping/ pleading that someone will have some advice on how to fix it.

Everything plays beautifully within a track/ session until about 1 minute mark...everything turns to a crazy bunch of glitches and stuttering. This happens most times. I just have to switch off reaper, close it down and open it again to get reasonable sound again.

I am also experiencing some minor glitches in Jeskola Buzz with the FT Pro but it is a bit more varied.

The weird thing is that I haven't experienced glitches using Fast Track pro with Reaper on my previous laptop.

I have followed some of the advice that I have found on forum threads but to no avail.

Specs:
Asus 8 Gig 256 SSD Intel i7
Windows 8.1 - (I actually deliberately got Windows 8.1 instead of 10 for the Fast Track Pro as I know the drivers don't go up to Windows 10)
Fast Track Pro
Reaper 4.78 64 Bit

Please help...
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
ivansc

Presumably this is a new-to-you computer?
Do all the usual thing like running resplendence's latency checker on it to see if you have something interfering?

Have a look at what stuff like core parking, power limiting etc has been kindly turned on by the manufacturer - also any spurious software/monitoring stuff they might have installed.

If it is misbehaving in two different recording/sequencing softwares, this really does point to an issue with your computer rather than the software and/or the interface drivers, assuming you are using the most up to date drivers available,
Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
bluzkat

Fast Track Pro has been known to act up (usually the drivers).

Definitely try Latency Monitor as Ivan mentioned. It might be able to identify the problem.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
AndyT

Thanks I will let you know how I go.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
AndyT

Thanks for your help. So I have run Latency Mon and tried to follow through with their suggestions but I am not sure about some things. It is a brand new computer should I consider checking for Bios updates? I have changed a few power settings.
I have tried switch off WLAN but it still glitches. I have tried googling a bunch of the systems listed but I am not sure what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

I specifically bought an SSD and windows 8.1 to try to have a system that work work effectively with latency and drivers etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Latency 1.jpg (51.4 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg Latency 2.jpg (62.5 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Latency 3.jpg (49.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-12-2015, 05:10 AM   #6
noise_construct

I got an FTP as well, but on Win 7 and running drivers coded by M-Audio instead of Avid. I get occasional glitches that require restarting audio, but the reason for them is probably different on our systems, at least according to that Latency Monitor (see attachment)

P.S: I don't get any audio glitches in (been testing DAWs):

Live 8 or 9.5
Cubase 8.5
Tracktion 4 or 6
Podium
Usine

(Adobe Audition/Premiere CC)

Of course it could be the driver or system, but tbh it is actually Reaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTP_W7_latency.jpg (40.8 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by noise_construct; 12-12-2015 at 05:21 AM.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
bluzkat

For both of you running Latency Monitor...

Let Latency Monitor run for a while, then Stop the program scan, the read the Stats page. This is where you will find recommendations.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
noise_construct

I ran it for a total of 40minutes while doing stuff in Reaper and it says that my system is all good for audio, see the link. Which is true since everything works fine, except Reaper glitches ever now and then.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
AndyT

Hi,
I updated the Bios and Latency Mon says: Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:16:28 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

However when I use the Fast Track Pro for 1 minute of audio it still spits out horrible glitches.

The weird thing is that I get similar problems in Jeskola Buzz (even when the FTP isn't used, using the internal soundcard). SO I don't necessarily think it is just a ftp issue.

I contacted Windows and they told me it was an Asus problem. I contacted Asus and they have advised me to do a factory reset.

Please, Please does anyone have any ideas?

Here is the Latency Mon info:

CONCLUSION
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:16:28 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: TEAMFOLEY
OS version: Windows 8.1 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: N551JX, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8080 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 2594 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (Ás): 878.727684
Average measured interrupt to process latency (Ás): 5.952458

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (Ás): 876.753903
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (Ás): 1.126611

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (Ás): 221.234387
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: i8042prt.sys - i8042 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.024119
Driver with highest ISR total time: i8042prt.sys - i8042 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.038137

ISR count (execution time <250 Ás): 407929
ISR count (execution time 250-500 Ás): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 Ás): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 Ás): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 Ás): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 Ás): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (Ás): 816.847340
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.074935
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.157174

DPC count (execution time <250 Ás): 2878144
DPC count (execution time 250-500 Ás): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 Ás): 124
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 Ás): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 Ás): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 Ás): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: firefox.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 18622
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 4930
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (Ás): 1056734.176947
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.820806
Number of processes hit: 36
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #10
noise_construct

I assume you arent running the latest drivers for FTP? 6.1.10 is the version number, and its faulty, and the asociated firmware upgrade has bricked peoples units. Avid doesnt care and theres no fix for the firmware issue. Some people had some luck downgrading to older drivers, some by reinstalling network drivers, most lost their audio interface.

Its a scandal, google fast track pro with that driver version.

I was just lucky when I decided to google before installing the latest driver, and used an old one I had saved up.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
AndyT

Thanks. I think I have sorted the problem.
I think the Reaper and buzz issues were separate issues.
I think updating the bios helped both a lot but as I said both hosts still had issues.

I think the other issue with Reaper also causing noise bursts was related to problem Vsts in the Reaper VST file. These Vsts weren't being used in a project but I think the presence of dodgy VSTs in the folder that Reaper scans somehow caused a problem during the playing of tracks. I have created a separate VST folder just for reaper with only a few select VSTs that are robust and that are usedoften in mixing/ mastering.

I have also changed to a 32 bit version of Reaper. I'm not sure if this helped solved the problem but the system is working now so I am not going to change it.

My issue in buzz was a different issue with an internal machine and samples as well as compressors and an internal reverb detecting output as noise.

Thanks for your ideas guys. I am so relieved to have this problem solved.