Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: How useful are subprojects to you and would you like these FRs added pretty soon?
Yes, most of the stuff here would be useful to me and I'd like to see a lot of it added pretty soon. 33 68.75%
Yes, some (or all) of the stuff but it can wait for other features first 9 18.75%
No, sub projects are not useful to me at all and shouldn't be worked on as a priority 6 12.50%
None of the above, left a post explaining why.. 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #81
Luster
Human being with feelings

+ 1

Some very good ideas in here to make subprojects an even better feature.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #82
Ozman

Rendered items from regions of sub-projects, instead of just start and end, would be nice.

Along with beat (BPM) matching.

Last edited by Ozman; 07-19-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #83
Sekkleman

+1

These features would be amazing!
Sekkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #84
Travesty

Bump.

Our cutscene localisation pipeline depends on subprojects now. Has saved us a huge amount of work.

We would welcome more development
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #85
blumpy

Default +1

Please add me as a +1 on these feature requests.

For me, the most helpful of these might be the simplest to implement.

Master Project video playback in subprojects.
Master Project marker visibility in subprojects (if markers can be locked to H:M:S:F)

To explain my workflow. One episode or reel is a master project. Each cue is a subproject. Master project is always HMSF, subprojects are almost always bar/beat though sometimes I change for spotting. I'd like some markers to lock to HMSF.... those could be from the master project.

My subproject master channel is 64 channels. These are my stems. Those stem feed the master project where the 64 channel subproject renders get routed out into their stems channels.

This is by far the best film/tv workflow of any DAW. Automatic stem printing and drag and drop reuse of cue to be edited to new scenes.

*****Having the master project be the video master would save hours of work every week******

Please implement if it's simple.

Last edited by blumpy; 09-16-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: poor grammar
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #86
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
Master Project marker visibility in subprojects (if markers can be locked to H:M:S:F)
Would absolutely love to see this in addition to having master project live audio routing to subprojects (without using an extra portable instance of Reaper and Reasio). I know someone wrote a JS plugin for this but having it built in would be extremely useful.

That way Video as well as dialogue/efx audio tracks could all be routed to Subprojects and not be effected by edits such as moving regions, etc.

Also, this would allow you to set up your video tracks once and not have to import into every new project and readjust sync, etc.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #87
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
Generally, "Live" (not pre-rendered) subproject would (should) provide synchronized playback and (optionally) edit cursors and supposedly mutually visible / synchronized markers, while any of the appropriate projects may hold audio, midi and/or video content.

But first of all "Live" subprojects would be really desirable feature.

-Michael
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #88
mgraham

Default Route to tracks in other projects

It would be great to be able to route MIDI (and automation data) from a subproject to the master project.

This would allow me to create one master project with a dozen or so sample-heavy instrument tracks, and then quickly create subprojects for sketching out song sections.

Generally speaking, Reaper is super fast to open projects. Except for instantiating instruments. That's usually slow.

With MIDI-only and Audio-only tracks in the subproject, each subproject would be very quick to create/open.
mgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #89
mgraham

Ok, I found a way to route midi from subprojects to master project.

I used midipipe(http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html) to create virtual inputs and outputs. Each pair is a single pipe connecting a virtual input to a virtual output:
  • virtual input 1
  • virtual output 1

I made 16 pairs of virtual inputs and outputs.

In my master project, I created 16 instruments. Each instrument gets its midi input from a different virtual output:
  • master track 1: piano: input virtual output 1
  • master track 2: moog lead: input virtual output 2
  • master track 3: strings: input virtual output 3
  • ... etc.

In my subproject, I created 16 tracks - each sends midi to a different virtual output
  • sub track 1: piano: output virtual input 1
  • sub track 2: moog lead: input virtual input 2
  • sub track 3: strings: input virtual input 3
  • ... etc.

The plan was that I could very quickly load or create a subproject from a template, and then have all processing take place in the master project.

If I were working on a pop song, I might have one sub project for the first verse, another for the first chorus, etc.

I was hoping that I could avoid rendering the subprojects entirely; I was hoping that playing back the master project would play back each subproject as necessary, in sync with the master project.

However, there are a couple of problems with this approach:
  1. performance is terrible (at least on Reaper 5.40). I have to have the setting Project tabs:run stopped background projects set to on. As soon as I do that, CPU usage goes through the roof.
  2. There doesn't seem to be a way to avoid rendering subprojects, and just play them in sync with the master project. Unless I'm missing something...

There are two reasons that I want to avoid the rendering phase. First of all, there's the delay while I wait for the project to render. I'm striving for a modular compositional workflow that allows for very fast context switching. Waiting for rendering interrupts my creative flow. The subprojects are only dealing with MIDI, so I figure that at least in theory they should be very lightweight.

Secondly, I use outboard MIDI gear (specifically a piano). It's not the best piano in the world, but I like it. And it avoids me having to load a humungous sampled piano in every project. But the problem with outboard MIDI gear is that its output doesn't render with the subproject. In order to hear the piano in the master track playback, I would have to manually record the piano's audio output on a track (in realtime) every time I make a change to the subproject. That makes it pretty much unusable.

I feel like the performance problem might be solved by only allowing the master project to run in the background while stopped.

Michael
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #90
mschnell

You obviously need the "Live" subproject feature (see above). (Project tabs:run stopped background projects does not help.)

Perhaps you could try rewiring multiple Reaper instances, instead.

-Michael
Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #91
mgraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You obviously need the "Live" subproject feature (see above). (Project tabs:run stopped background projects does not help.)
Yes, I think that's what I want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Perhaps you could try rewiring multiple Reaper instances, instead.
That's a great idea! I didn't know I could have multiple reaper instances open at once. I'll try it out and see if it solves the performance issues.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #92
mschnell

AFAIR from testing, the instance to be rewired is automatically opened.

-Michael
Old 11-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #93
mgraham

I've played around with Rewire a bit, and the performance is as bad as it was when I was routing midi from one tab to another in the same project. If I have three tracks with VSTis enabled in the Rewire slave, then CPU load just gets too high and I get clicks and pops. With the same VSTis in a single project the CPU is much lower.

The other limitation appears to be that as far as I can tell, there is only one Rewire bus available, so only 16 MIDI channels and 32 audio channels are available.

I'm going to get a trial version of Vienna Ensemble Pro and see if that performs better.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:06 AM   #94
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraham View Post
I'm going to get a trial version of Vienna Ensemble Pro and see if that performs better.
Let us know what you find...
-Michael
Old 11-11-2017, 03:07 AM   #95
jjiijj

chiming in to say how helpful it would be for a "save as" / "save new version" of a subproject to be automatically updated in the master project
jjiijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #96
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjiijj View Post
chiming in to say how helpful it would be for a "save as" / "save new version" of a subproject to be automatically updated in the master project
Indeed this would be good. I'm hoping it's time for around too soon for the devs in subprojects.

As for saving. You kind of can if you right click a subproject item and select to open a copy in editor as a new take (forget the exact menu wording sorry.)

This actually creates a new version of the subproject with the only downside of giving it a rough name and also I think it forces a copy of the whole subproject into the master project. Might be wrong on that last bit hopefully.