Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you consider using this feature if it applied to your situation?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb? 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Colin OOOD
Human being with feelings

Default Option to selectively ignore plugin parameter changes

In response to this thread, and to my own issues whereby certain plugins send metering changes as parameter changes, making the undo history unusable, I would like to suggest a solution whereby an option is created in a plugin's 'Param' menu to enable the selective ignoring of messages sent by individual plugin parameters.

I would envision this new option being selected thus, in a new menu item within the FX Parameter List submenu of the Param menu, in an identical fashion to the other items in that submenu:
Param --> FX Parameter List --> Ignore --> <parameter name>
When 'Ignore' is selected for a parameter it would have the effect of discarding parameter change messages sent by the plugin for that parameter, without placing them in the undo history. The new setting would have no effect on parameter changes being SENT by Reaper, only on those being RECEIVED, so existing automation and changes made by hand would not be affected.

Here's a mockup of how I imagine it could be implemented:

I feel that this would solve the issue linked to above as well as my own problem.

Last edited by Colin OOOD; 01-22-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Colin OOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
DarkStar

Some plug-ins have many, many parameters so an "Ignore All" and "Enable All" would be needed.

An alternative idea would be to ignore all the parameter changes; and only create an Undo state when the user clicks a button in the FX header.

-----------------------------------------------------
Big pics can make the forum awkward to use.

As you're using imgur, you can add a 't' to the file name to get a thumbnail image, followed by the link to the full-size image.

Like this:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/snCdM0L.jpg

The syntax is
PHP Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/snCdM0Lt.jpg[/img] >>> https://i.imgur.com/snCdM0L.jpg 
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Colin OOOD

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
An alternative idea would be to ignore all the parameter changes; and only create an Undo state when the user clicks a button in the FX header.
By "clicks a button in the FX header" do you mean "clicks a control or parameter entry box on the plugin's GUI"? That sounds like it would be a very elegant solution. Only explicitly manual parameter edits would create an undo state.

What potential use cases would suffer from such a change? Are there any occasions where an undo state must be created for a parameter change which is being sent by a plugin but where the user is not manually changing it? Possibly, for plugins designed to create automation. Which is where the "Ignore all" and "Enable all" options would still be needed, perhaps with "Ignore all" as the default, since most plugins would not need this functionality.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
DarkStar

I was thinking of it being added to the row where the [+] [Param] etc buttons are.

Or, to avoid more clutter, adding it as a choice ("Save Undo state"?) to the [Param] menu

(And thank you for fixing the pic )

Last edited by DarkStar; 01-25-2016 at 04:17 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Colin OOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I was thinking of it bieng added to the row where the [+] [Param] etc buttons are.

Or, to avoid more clutter, adding it as a choice ("Save Undo state"?) to the [Param] menu
Thing is, the whole point of it from my personal perspective is to allow selected individual parameters of a particular plugin instance to be ignored, whilst other parameters create undo states as normal. A global "Save Undo state?" option would not allow the kind of per-parameter switching I need - unless I misunderstand something? Which is quite possible!