Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
slops
Human being with feelings

Default WTF??!! i finally figured out how to do NON STOP loop recording (Ableton Live style).

EDIT: VIDEO IS FIXED

the only thing i've really missed when i switched to reaper from Ableton, was the ability to record loops non stop, on top of each other (like you would with a loop pedal). its the most comfortable form of songwriting for me, so coming into reaper i was a little dissapointed...

but i finally figured out a way to do it!

here's a quick, rough clip to show what i am doing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQkPu_QDzI

i set up three macros...

---------------------------
here's a breakdown of how it works:
---------------------

(video 00:00-00:55)
when i record i set up a loop space of a couple bars
i select and arm the track (ALWAYS make sure the track you are recording on is selected)
i hit record and once the loop finishes i hit the first macro (shift space)
i repeat this process for as many times as i need/want.

but once you have some tracks recorded you will notice that each track is cut in weird spots.
this is because whenever you punch in or out the event either starts or ends at that point.
this is where the second macro comes in handy.

(video: 01:00-01:10)
i usually highlight and delete all the scrap ends of the tracks.
then highlight the remaining, earlier parts of the tracks and hit the second macro (shift x).
this extends all the clips to fill the rest of the loop selection.

(video: 01:12-01:34)
and finally if i want to extend the clips longer i just make a bigger loop selection and use the third macro (ctrl shift x) to extend the clips.
------------------------------------------

ohh, and again, ALWAYS make sure the track you are recording on is selected (otherwise things could get messy).

later...!

Last edited by slops; 02-01-2011 at 08:05 AM.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
slops

i also put in a FR for an action to wait till the end of bar to execute. (this would eliminate the need for the last 2 macros).

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...204#post148204

check it out.
later.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Tallisman

Very cool.
thanks for the tips

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Shan

Killer! You should put this stuff in the "Useful Macros" thread:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10049

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
ieso

now we just need one-button macro combiners
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
the all new rob

Thanks, this should help me out.
the all new rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
lowest form

Really big help for me this - thanks!
lowest form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
fab

way cool! +1 for adding to the useful macros!
f
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Bevosss

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...

Good work mon!

And +1 of course on the actions...
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
EnzymeX

This is nice! It was very helpful for me to see the macros in action on the video - thanks!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
slops

glad this helped some people out. this part of my workflow was the only thing i really missed from ableton, so this definitely makes life alot better for me now.

hopefully this action (http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...204#post148204) will get added one day. then all types of different macro key commands could actually be set to execute at the end of bars!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
EpicSounds

hate to bump this old thread but is there a 2010 version of this?
Also the video in first post is set to private so I'm not even sure if this works how I expect.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
hopi

the link to your youtube video gets me to where it says, "sorry this video is private" ... so I can't watch it
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
hate to bump this old thread but is there a 2010 version of this?
Also the video in first post is set to private so I'm not even sure if this works how I expect.
Bump away!

For a 2010 version, you could look at using the SWS 'wait for start of next bar/beat' actions or using marker actions. Unfortunately using those methods the timing will be inaccurate, so it's close but no cigar.

Check out MobiusVST (freeware echoplex clone) if you're just looking to loop record audio, and also check out the links in my signature for voting on this.

The 2011 version will be when Cockos hopefully does one of the following:
  • Add something to the API so extensions like Marker Actions and the current "Wait for start of next X/X/X" can have accurate timing.
  • Native "Wait for start of next beat/bar/loop" actions (fixing the timing error).
  • Fully integrated Ableton style Global Quantize.

I love Reaper to death, but at the moment, when it comes to loop recording it's getting pwned by guitar pedals...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
schwa
Administrator

For simply recording in a loop and being able to hear all the previous passes while playing, I think you need to do a few things:

1. Enable preferences/audio/recording/add recorded media to project at each loop.

2. On the recording track, right click the recarm button and enable monitor track media while recording.

3. In the options menu, enable new recording that overlaps existing media/show recorded items and existing items in separate lanes ... or ... right click the track and enable free item positioning. Either setting will cause loop recording to create multiple media items, rather than creating multiple takes in a single media item.

You can then punch in and out while loop recording, and create multiple layers, while always being able to hear what you recorded in previous loop passes.

What is less straightforward is creating a long loop selection, and being able to punch in snippets exactly on a beat grid, like punching in exactly 1 bar, then looping that snippet across the whole length of the selection so you can record a longer line over the loops. As PitchSlap says, native actions like "wait for next beat/bar/etc" would make it easy to build a custom action like "wait for next bar, stop recording, fit items to time selection".
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #16
zappsunzorn

doh, already mentioned
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
EpicSounds

I messed around with something last night but I'm not really satisfied. (haven't tried Slops' method yet)

I have 1 track folder set to record output (the entire live performance)
Then I use the action to create a track, record and monitor enable. It also removes record enable from the previous track.
So if I make a 4 or 8 bar selection and go into record I can add layers without stopping.

A variation on this would be to make a dozen tracks and make a macro to record on each track sequentially whenever the button is pushed. I'd map it to my keyboard footswitch. Maybe I'll assign track mutes to keys as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
What is less straightforward is creating a long loop selection, and being able to punch in snippets exactly on a beat grid, like punching in exactly 1 bar, then looping that snippet across the whole length of the selection so you can record a longer line over the loops.
The other cool thing the pedals have is a 'Mutiply' function which allows you to record new parts longer than your original.

In Reaper this would 'multiply' the main loop selection length by the number of passes in the new take. Subsequent recordings however are always based on the original loop length as the base.

I think the users could probably hack some cool functionality together, but if we're stuck using the Windows API for timing there'll always be a +/- 5-15ms random variance in the recording lengths.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to replicate the Echoplex/Mobius workflow(triggering all actions from a MIDI foot controller):
  • Open a blank project with no metronome.
  • Press record and freely play the part, not worrying about trying to fit the riff into a rigid tempo or grid.
  • Upon stopping the recording (playback continues), this is treated like a 4/8 or 16 bar measure depending on the recording length and the project tempo is calculated automatically and loop points set.
  • The recorded item(s) loops seamlessly while I noodle around getting into the groove and figuring out the next part(s).
  • Once the next part is ready to be recorded I press record at anytime, knowing it will wait until the next loop cycle, so I can concentrate on the performance and not the DAW transport. When I'm ready to stop recording I can press the button when most convenient, knowing it will punch out at the right time.
  • If I want to record a section longer than the original I would use "Multiply" which will increase the loop length (copying the contents) each time the end is reached, until I hit multiply again to stop recording.
  • I can create entire arrangements, muting, soloing, reversing, pitch shifting etc. all on beat, all on the fly...

The best and most important part of all of this, is that I never once had to stop the music to edit anything, or get out of musician mode and into technical mode or even take my hands off my instrument!

Not only is this method ridiculously Rapid, but highly creative and enjoyable to use.

At the end you have a project full of media files that are all exact loops and multiples of each other so they can be mixed and matched via the media explorer and used in different contexts as well.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-27-2011 at 12:43 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #19
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
the link to your youtube video gets me to where it says, "sorry this video is private" ... so I can't watch it

this happens to me too?? 'private video'?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
whoops.
sorry, to everyone trying to watch this video.

i had made this thread back in 2008 and somewhere over the last three years i somehow made the video private.
i just logged into youtube to make the video public, but for some reason the video does not show up in my upload section anymore?
weird.

well, in all honesty since i'd originally made this old thread i've come up with three different keycommand/workflows to get a bit closer to better live looping workflow.

i'll try and put something together in the next day or two that should hopefully work a bit better.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #21
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
whoops.
sorry, to everyone trying to watch this video.

i had made this thread back in 2008 and somewhere over the last three years i somehow made the video private.
i just logged into youtube to make the video public, but for some reason the video does not show up in my upload section anymore?
weird.

well, in all honesty since i'd originally made this old thread i've come up with three different keycommand/workflows to get a bit closer to better live looping workflow.

i'll try and put something together in the next day or two that should hopefully work a bit better.
Check out the new build!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Check out the new build!
I KNOW!!!

happy would be an understatement.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
slops

video is fixed btw for those still trying to watch the video.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #24
CloseToTheEdge

This is an extremely useful method of getting that difficult guitar solo that won't quite gel. I used this method (using sonar, gag!) in the past and was able to assemble a very workable solo for a tune that was having some issues.

Of course, then I had to go back and learn what I played to perform it live!

Thanks so much for posting this.
CloseToTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
jaimun

Default new build ...

what's on the new build that helps here?
jaimun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #26
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseToTheEdge View Post
This is an extremely useful method of getting that difficult guitar solo that won't quite gel....

Thanks so much for posting this.
glad its helped some people.

honestly over the last two years i've come up with a couple more different approaches/workflows to accomplish loop recording that i think work even better. but right now i'm still working out a couple things with the newest workflow i've just made (using reaper 4 pre release). i'll post it up soon.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
boatbassguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
glad its helped some people.

honestly over the last two years i've come up with a couple more different approaches/workflows to accomplish loop recording that i think work even better. but right now i'm still working out a couple things with the newest workflow i've just made (using reaper 4 pre release). i'll post it up soon.

Hey Slops,

I just started a thread yesterday about the exact same topic as this thread (without having found this one!)
I'm mucking around trying to get this working as best i can in the latest Beta. Any chance of posting your current workflow for this?

Thanks man.
boatbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #28
psych

Default looping macros

HI,

I hope that slops is still around. I too would like to get a copy of his current micros for looping. Keep hope alive.
psych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #29
DeyBwah

I just want to comment on Slops avatar. Sweet!
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #30
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
HI,

I hope that slops is still around. I too would like to get a copy of his current micros for looping. Keep hope alive.
no worries, i'm definitely still here lurking on the forums.

i've just been holding off until reaper 4 comes out to actually post my current workflow. its nothing too crazy but it uses some v4 actions so i was hoping to wait till its out. i'm sure if 4 doesn't come out after awhile i'll just eventually post up what i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah
I just want to comment on Slops avatar. Sweet!
lol.
thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #31
psych

Default Looping micros?

Well now that v4 is out, hows about new looping ideas?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #32
psych

bump!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #33
the19thbear

Bump!! i cant do what is posted in the beginning of this thread, in reaper 4!
we need a new version please
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #34
slothcrab

Huge bump.

Slopppssss!
slothcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #35
c0pasetik

Default Motu DP coming to PC - Answer to all your live looping prayers

THe answer to all your live looping un such away that the waveform is visibile and you have control is on the horizon if you're a pc user. Motu's digital performer DAW is coming to PC and has a module (which is the answer that the reaper crew should have picked up on) called polar which allows your to do EXACTLY what you guys are going for with midi control / learn for most perameters functions that you'd want in a loop recorder.
c0pasetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #36
Sound asleep

thank you.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
naturalbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0pasetik View Post
THe answer to all your live looping un such away that the waveform is visibile and you have control is on the horizon if you're a pc user. Motu's digital performer DAW is coming to PC and has a module (which is the answer that the reaper crew should have picked up on) called polar which allows your to do EXACTLY what you guys are going for with midi control / learn for most perameters functions that you'd want in a loop recorder.
I would love to see this functionality built-in to REAPER. I've been trying different methods to make REAPER a live-looper but so far none have worked out for me.