Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would this feature benefit you?
Yes, it would 76 96.20%
No, it would not 2 2.53%
Meh, I don't really care 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
JamesZhan9592
Human being with feelings

Default Vertical & horizontal axes (crosshair) in piano roll like Cubase

I find it easy to lose track when doing MIDI programming in the piano roll.

The benefit of this feature should be very obvious: it will enable users to put notes faster in the piano roll, especially if the user has huge screen. Even Cubase 5 (a very old version) has this feature, so I am hoping Reaper can have it too. It will make my MIDI programming life way easier.

It would also be very beneficial to have the X/Y markers in the arrangement window, when the mouse cursor is on media items and in the envelope lane (see the second gif). It would make it easier to see where I'm putting the envelope points; plus many other benefits.

Thank you.

Last edited by JamesZhan9592; 02-07-2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added "crosshair" to title for more clarity
JamesZhan9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Simonblarkin

Really good idea, this is something that would really help with workflow.
Simonblarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
andysarchus

So simple yet so useful. Great idea.

Voted.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
JamesZhan9592

Thanks everyone! Hope we will get this feature in one of the future updates!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
pattonfreak1

Voted
Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
viscofisy

Voted - and thanks for posting.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Neutronic

Good idea, James! Voted.
Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
JamesZhan9592

Thanks everyone for tuning in!

I have a question though: how do the developers decide which requested features to make? The issue tracker has been removed right?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Lawrence

+1. Voted. I made that FR back in 2009, although the screencast vids there no longer exist.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=crosshair
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
+1. Voted. I made that FR back in 2009, although the screencast vids there no longer exist.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=crosshair
CROSSHAIR!!!! That's what they are called! Wow, after 7 years and they still didn't make it?!?!?! I feel very dejected now
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesZhan9592 View Post
CROSSHAIR!!!! That's what they are called! Wow, after 7 years and they still didn't make it?!?!?! I feel very dejected now
In the arrange window we have them already (moving items, envelope points).
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
Lawrence

Quote:
I think they have done some of those things since then, but the OP from here (cross hair in the midi editor) was one of them that didn't get done yet.

There might be a way to make the play cursor follow midi note move, not sure, for aligning midi notes in the editor with audio events on another track.

Last edited by Lawrence; 02-07-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
stebbi30000

Love it! Want some!
stebbi30000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I think they have done some of those things since then, but the OP from here (cross hair in the midi editor) was one of them that didn't get done yet.
the only one they have is in the envelope lanes or when you move items. That's totally not enough! I use mouse modifier to split items (alt + left click, split item under mouse curse) so i really want the crosshair for more preciseness!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
In the arrange window we have them already (moving items, envelope points).
Yeah, but I also want the crosshair when I'm just moving around my cursor because i use mouse modifier to split items (alt + left click, split item under mouse cursor), so if i had the crosshair i would be able to be more precise. In Cubase the crosshair appears whenever you try to split items.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
noise_construct

The piano key already lights up?

For arrangement window something similar could be useful, but the crosshair doesn't seem to be it.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
For arrangement window something similar could be useful, but the crosshair doesn't seem to be it.
With the pencil tool active, why not. Doesn't look that bad on the second Cubase screenshot.

EDIT: Pencil tool already gives vertical guidelines.

Last edited by Dstruct; 02-07-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
The piano key already lights up?

Imagine you are looking at the piano roll, full-screen, on a 60 inch monitor. When your mouse is on the far right side of the piano roll, without the crosshair, it is extremely difficult to distinguish which is which.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #19
ivansc

One reason I like the idea of a hybrid stave editor.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 AM   #20
noise_construct

Quote:
Imagine you are looking at the piano roll, full-screen, on a 60 inch monitor. When your mouse is on the far right side of the piano roll, without the crosshair, it is extremely difficult to distinguish which is which.
The problem is horizontal distance, you still need to turn your head to the right to see which note row you are on from the piano keys, the crosshair doesn't change that at all.

I'd also recommend using a real computer monitor at the correct, ergonomic working distance instead of a TV screen.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #21
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
The problem is horizontal distance, you still need to turn your head to the right to see which note row you are on from the piano keys, the crosshair doesn't change that at all.

I'd also recommend using a real computer monitor at the correct, ergonomic working distance instead of a TV screen.
If there is a horizontal line, it would be way easier. I don't see how you can't understand this. Cubase's crosshair just makes the job way easier, also the vertical line, especially when the piano roll is zoomed out and I'm trying to put a 64th note. It's just really dense. Having a crosshair would really really help. Maybe not to you, which is fair enough haha.

My TV screen is put on the wall that's like 2 feet away from me. It's a very good distance!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #22
noise_construct

It wouldn't be any easier, since the information you need is still in the same place, the crosshair wouldn't remove the requirement to move your eyes all the way to the piano keys.

Some other way, like a tooltip, or printing the note in the editor background next to cursor, or just duplicating the piano keys on the right side would help with locating yourself.

You can also change the colour of the octave lines and note highlight from Theme development/tweaker window. Mine is bright blue.

2 feet is good distance for normal monitors.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 AM   #23
DarkStar

If implemented I'm sure that it will be optional.

And, I would think that continually turning my head to see which note row under the mouse would get painful after a while.

Taking a step back - there is an advantage to see what note is being entered and where WITHOUT excessive head or eye movements. If that is the requirement, then, optionally, show those details in a pop-up close to the mouse:

>>> https://i.imgur.com/9tPYg4w.png

If snap is enabled then the displayed position would be the snap position not the precise mouse position

(the details are already there in the top-left corner).

[Oops, noise_construct already suggested this.]
Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #24
nofish

Yes, gotta say after thinking about it a little personally I'd also like a pop-up / tooltip better than a crosshair.

Lawrence just posted an example from another DAW here

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=11

Actually I think that would be the perfect solution as shown there, having crosshair and tooltip at once (both optionally of course).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #25
JamesZhan9592

Default Why I prefer crosshair over tooltip?

The reason why I prefer crosshair over tooltip (I definitely would like that as an option tho!) is that I remember the note position by the keyboard position not by the letter because I'm a pianist. So for example if I heard the note C, in my mind it won't first show up as "oh this is the C note," but i will see the position of the key on a keyboard, which is, there is a white key on the left and a black key on the right. Not sure if this makes sense...but if you are a pianist you might be able to understand me.

Having both crosshair and tooltip as options would be great!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #26
JoF

Would be really nice.
JoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #27
Frameshifter

Voted
Frameshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #28
JamesZhan9592

Does anyone know if there are any criteria for which requested feature to develop for the developers? I have seen many threads in this FR section not following the rules (e.g. not having the poll) so I am worried if the developers actually still look into this FR section anymore. =/ Have been waiting for this feature for forever and many seem to like this feature as well, so I really want to make sure the developers see this.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #29
JFetter

Just created a similar thread looking for this exact feature, and I was linked here.

This is an incredibly useful feature, for me though the main benefit is when you are doing CC lane work at the bottom of the screen. The vertical bar shows you exactly where you are in relation to the notes at the top of the screen.
Say you want to start the Mod Wheel CC lane at 0 and ramp it up during the note, wouldn't it be nice to easily see exactly where the note starts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFetter View Post
JFetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFetter View Post
Just created a similar thread looking for this exact feature, and I was linked here.

This is an incredibly useful feature, for me though the main benefit is when you are doing CC lane work at the bottom of the screen. The vertical bar shows you exactly where you are in relation to the notes at the top of the screen.
Say you want to start the Mod Wheel CC lane at 0 and ramp it up during the note, wouldn't it be nice to easily see exactly where the note starts?
YES! That too! There are simply too many benefit of this to list them all out. I don't understand why REAPER does not have this simple feature. Maybe it's very hard to make? But even Cubase 5 has this feature. It makes slip editing way easier! I really hope they will make this!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #31
ferropop

Even better than line crosshairs would be to tint the entirety of the track you're hovering overtop. I LOVE that Cubase has the line crosshairs, but it often feels odd because the line is between the tracks so it doesn't feel like it's giving you information about your Current track - you need to think "ok this line is underneath the track I want"...if the whole horizontal track were just slightly tinted you'd have a clear sense of what track you're hovering over.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #32
JamesZhan9592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Even better than line crosshairs would be to tint the entirety of the track you're hovering overtop. I LOVE that Cubase has the line crosshairs, but it often feels odd because the line is between the tracks so it doesn't feel like it's giving you information about your Current track - you need to think "ok this line is underneath the track I want"...if the whole horizontal track were just slightly tinted you'd have a clear sense of what track you're hovering over.
Yes that would be great too. One problem I always run into is that when I'm vertically zoomed all the way out, I have a hard time distinguishing which media item belongs to which track.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #33
juliansader

In lieu of having this feature native, there are some free Windows apps that can draw crosshair guidelines, such as CrossHair.

A similar app was probably used in this gif:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #34
AugerJ

Quote:
I find it easy to lose track when doing MIDI programming in the piano roll.
Indeed. But in my case — because the grid is too wide (the in-between lines disappear way too early), such a disadvantage of REAPER in this matter (especially when compared with Cubase and Logic)...

What of the axes...
In Cubase you can draw a note on the right side of the vertical axis — and on the left side of the same line.
Precise? Not so much. So, what's the point of this axis then?

I would understand if the vertical axis determined the left border of the note
and the horizontal axis — the lower border of the note,
so the crossing point of the axes would always be the lower left corner of the note.
That would be more definite.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #35
Eraz

Bump! This is really needed.
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraz View Post
Bump! This is really needed.
Wow, just the other day, I was investigating where I would find this feature and my search put me here. I can't believe this has not been implemented <disappointed>.

Last edited by pbognar; 12-21-2019 at 11:27 PM.
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #37
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
Wow, just the other day, I was think about where I would find this feature and my search put me here. I can't believe this has not been implemented <disappointed>.
So lets give this FR thread some attention!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #38
Eraz

I may have an idea for a workaround. I am just no scripter.
Shouldn't it be possible to script a vertical guide line (like those used for marker tracks/regions/item guide lines) to follow the mouse cursor?

E.g. X-Raym had the idea to script a marker track which follows the mouse cursor on key command press. If that would be assignable to "alt" you could have nearly the same behaviour as in Cubase when cutting in the arrange view.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
SubbaseDnB

voted
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote