COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-29-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
olilarkin
Human being with feelings

Default Xcode 7.3 heads up (old sdks)

Xcode 7.3 prevents using old SDKs by default.

MinimumSDKVersion in the xcode plist needs to be modified in order to compile with the 10.5 sdk etc

edit (with Xcode) the MinimumSDKVersion key value in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Info.plist

thanks to this thread https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/43381
Old 03-29-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
Andi!

Yes, I read the apple thread about this problem and decided to stay with XCode 7.2. BTW I got a message when starting 7.2 on the most recent El Captain release. The message says that 7.2 is not supported (!?). Starting XCode from the terminal fixes this. 7.2 is indeed El Captain compatible.
Andi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:27 AM   #3
Tale

Thanks for the heads up!
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
ynohtna

Good info. Thanks for sharing it, Oli!
ynohtna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Xenakios

Kind of off topic, maybe. But do XCode 7.2 or 7.3 offer anything of value to C++ based developers? I suppose the full release notes are available "somewhere" but I haven't bothered digging those up yet.

I am currently on XCode 7.1 on Yosemite and noticed last night 7.3 is out and that requires El Capitan which I don't want to install just yet...
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Andi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Kind of off topic, maybe. But do XCode 7.2 or 7.3 offer anything of value to C++ based developers? I suppose the full release notes are available "somewhere" but I haven't bothered digging those up yet.

I am currently on XCode 7.1 on Yosemite and noticed last night 7.3 is out and that requires El Capitan which I don't want to install just yet...
Yes, it has some enhancements, especially this sounds interesting:

Quote:
Editor

Code completion enhancements in the Xcode source editor help you enter symbols, methods, and property names with less typing. Code completion now provides more intelligent suggestions by using partial matches and the first letter of each word, in addition to prefix matching.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi! View Post
Yes, it has some enhancements, especially this sounds interesting:
Ah damn...And of course that had to arrive in XCode 7.3 that "requires" El Capitan. Sigh. (I suppose maybe some hackery could be done on the XCode files to make it run on Yosemite, though...)
Old 03-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Andi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Ah damn...And of course that had to arrive in XCode 7.3 that "requires" El Capitan. Sigh. (I suppose maybe some hackery could be done on the XCode files to make it run on Yosemite, though...)
You could try to start the new XCode from Terminal like I did it sucessfully with 7.2 on El Captain. Of course that's the other direction but worth a try. :-)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...-on-el-capitan
Old 05-15-2016, 04:57 AM   #9
bissov

Hi - I have upgraded to OS X El Capitan, and aXcode 7.3.1 - It builds the Plug app and au fine - so far I thought... What doesn't work is the MIDI input.
The standalone app: When assigning MIDI input through the preferences dialog it is slow, the the device is not recognized bye app.
The AU: When launching Main Stage og Logix Pro X, the audio unit is hanging, and when aborting the scanner, the result is pointing at unit scanning is crashing when the MIDI part is scanned. HOWEVER: When launching Studio One 3 – the AU is recognized fine and works ..!
I am building on base SDK 10.5, and have done modifications to plist af Oli pointed out - this work all fine.
Does anyone have a clue about what is wrong ?? (I have not yet looked into vst and vst3 generation...)
Best regards Bo
bissov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #10
nofish

Hi,

I can't give specific help but have you tried running the au validation tool on your au and see what it says ?

That helped for me in my last project when something was not quite right with the au version.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
bissov

Hi Nofish, Thanks for your advice. It might sound stupid... but I am not aware of where I find this AU validation tool, can you please give me a hint ? (I am not that experienced in these kind of trouble shooting..).
Thanks in advance,. BR Bo.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
nofish

Hi bissov,

open a console window (or how it's called on Mac), type (everything without quotes) "auval -h", this should give you a list of all available commands for the validation tool.

"auval -a" to list all currently present AU's, yours should show up there also.

What you want to validate your AU is "auval -v [TYPE] [SUBTYPE] [MANUF.]" (refer to above command for the variables, also see help above)

This should then start to evaluate different things with your AU and show where problems are (if any).

note:
I'm usually on Win and just learned about this myself not so long ago, so let me know if it works (or not), or other Mac users, please correct me if I have something wrong.

edit:
Note for myself...

I wondered why my AU didn't show up with "auval -a", but then it did with "auval -64 -a" (for 64 bit AU)

Last edited by nofish; 03-27-2017 at 04:41 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:50 AM   #13
bissov

Hi Nofish,
Thanks for the hint - I'll try this.
BR Bo
Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #14
jack461

Default Thanks !

Hi Nofish,

Many thanks for this information, which is very pertinent. I played one hour or two with "auval", and it helped me find an init bug. Great !
jack461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #15
bissov

Hi - just an update...
I decided to try RtMidi ver. 2.1.1 from this year, I had 1.0.14 previously... I think that helped a bit, the stand alone app now works without the delay...
BUT - The AU unit is still crashing upon validation, and I have tracked it NOT to be any kind of Midi functionality causing this. I am om OS X El Capitan, and Xcode 7.3.1 - And I think Xcode 7.3.1 is the problem, generating som strangeness. When on El Capitan on another computer with Xcode 7.2 the AU unit works fine - no problem.
I made a workaround, where in the "ProcessMidiMsg(IMidiMsg* pMsg)" of the Plug app, I let the first 2 calls do nothing, and hence it turns into normal processing. I said this is just a work around - not acceptable.
The code that is traced to be hanging is just trivial standard code as:
mOsc1output.mLastOutputL = mOsc1output.mCrntOutputL;
mOsc1output.mLastOutputR = mOsc1output.mCrntOutputR;
mOsc2output.mLastOutputL = mOsc2output.mCrntOutputL;
mOsc2output.mLastOutputR = mOsc2output.mCrntOutputR;
mOsc3output.mLastOutputL = mOsc3output.mCrntOutputL;
mOsc3output.mLastOutputR = mOsc3output.mCrntOutputR;
mOsc4output.mLastOutputL = mOsc4output.mCrntOutputL;
mOsc4output.mLastOutputR = mOsc4output.mCrntOutputR;
-where these member is normal "doubles"...

I will continue to be debugging and tracing this problem, cause I in principle does not like the workaround...

Have any of you experienced same strangeness with Xcode 7.3.1 ??
BR Bo