Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
slum_x
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI all notes off only works on pause not stop

When I get stuck midi notes pressing play/stop doesn't do anything but play/pause seems to be working. I cannot get F3 to work either (panic button)
slum_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Dstruct

Does it happen with ReaSynth too?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:38 AM   #3
slum_x

I will give it a rey and report back
Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
slum_x

It works as expected with reasynth, so the problem seems to be with external midi interfaces. The problem exist both with my midiman 4x4 and the direct usb midi interface for my Nord Lead 4.

I have checked everything regarding reset on the midi hardware settings.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #5
srdmusic

I'm getting similar issue where the midi note off action doesn't kill a stuck note. It happens with a few instruments more often than others. Namely, omnisphere, play and zebra but sometimes it happens within Kontakt

For the same instruments In Cubase, if you sent a midi note off message, it always kill the stuck notes. Which leads me to believe this more than just a note off problem.

I believe we are seeing a bug here. This same problem is happening on my two clone machines which are on Windows. I have also tested this on an Mac OSX machine with the same result.

Juliansader who brought up that some of the stuck note issues could be attributed to input quantize. I really need to be able to use input quantize so I'm hoping we can find a solution soon.

Anybody else have a magic preference or action work around for this problem?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
juliansader

Something curious:

I compared the SWS action "SWS/S&M: Send all notes off to selected tracks" with REAPER's native action "Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins" (the F3 "Panic button"), using three MIDI loggers: ReaControlMIDI, JSFX "midi_logger" and KONTAKT's MIDI monitor script.

When I run the SWS action, all three loggers show long lists of all-notes-off and CC64=0 messages, as expected.

When I run the native action, not one of these plugins show any messages received...

Last edited by juliansader; 07-20-2017 at 02:05 PM.
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
srdmusic

That's interesting. Perhaps the SWS script can be edited to send midi note off etc. to all midi outs like the standard one is supposed to. Most of the stuck notes I have are not on selected tracks.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
juliansader

In another project, I managed to see the messages sent by the Panic button. (I don't know why it sends messages in one project but not another.) It does not send actual "note off" messages to all pitches and all channels, nor does it send CC64=0 messages to stop any "sustain pedal". Instead, it sends a *CC123* "All-Notes-Off" command to each channel. I guess it is up to the plugins/hardware whether they obey that CC command or not.

In the case of KONTAKT, perhaps check that "Accept all notes off" is ON in Instrument Options. (Although, I haven't noticed that this options makes any difference.)

Stopping via transport, in contrast, should (if there is no bug) send actual note-off messages to all active pitches, and reset all CCs including CC64.

This reply is a year late, but the following preferences might have been relevant to the OP's problem:
* Send note-offs or pitch/reset messages on stop/reset.
* MIDI hardware settings -> Reset by All-notes-off / Reset on Stop
* Reset MIDI CC/Pitch on playback stop

If anyone else encounters stuck notes when stopping via transport, try adding JSFX midi_logger before each plugin that causes trouble. Next time that a note remains stuck, report the MIDI log here.

Last edited by juliansader; 07-20-2017 at 03:23 PM.
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote